To ask if parents support a longer school day?

(198 Posts)
namechangingf123 Thu 17-Oct-13 22:56:02

As Michael Gove is proposing? Would it help you as a working parent?

How long would suit you/your child? And if you didn't agree with longer day (as I don't) would you/could you just pick DC up at 3.15ish as usual?

MrsBungle Thu 17-Oct-13 23:18:11

I wouldn't agree with it. My not-long-turned 4 year old's school hours are 8:50 until 3:30. The high school kids round here do fewer hours than that.

Our school has excellent wrap around care, I do think this should be available at all schools.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 17-Oct-13 23:18:47

No - the day is long enough for little kids, and at secondary there's enough who have to travel quite a way to make it unfeasible (esp in rural areas). My DD has to be out of the door 7:30 and isn't home before 4:45, later if there's any after school activity.

Good breakfast/after school clubs (and homework/ICT/library access for older pupils) on the school premises yes, but the basic day is about right.

timidviper Thu 17-Oct-13 23:20:40

Agree this should be around what is best for children, not what suits working parents.

My DCs went to a senior school that had a compulsory cadet corps after school on a Monday so school finished at 5.30pm. It was brilliant!

I am not a working parent. I do not want my children to be kept at school for longer hours so that those parents who choose to work have fewer childcare issues. However, I wholeheartedly support any proposals which improve the availability morning and evening childcare to those families that want and need it.

QueFonda Thu 17-Oct-13 23:21:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Thu 17-Oct-13 23:22:59

For me an extra 10 minutes would help.

Abbierhodes Thu 17-Oct-13 23:28:03

I'm a working parent and a teacher, so looking from both sides of the fence.
I would not support this at all!
Better wrap around care would be great, and I'd love to see a better range of after school clubs.

My children do martial arts, scouts and swimming, all quite late in the evening. Which means 3 days a week I have to pay for after school care, rush to pick them up and then rush them to their clubs. By the time they finish it's pretty much bedtime, so very little family time. They don't want to give up their hobbies and I won't make them, but I do wish they were on between 3 and 5!

Flatiron Thu 17-Oct-13 23:30:41

When I was scrolling through the threads, I read this as a 'longer school play' grin No to both!

jellybeans Thu 17-Oct-13 23:31:59

The school day is long enough. I would not support longer school day. Yes to good before and after school clubs for those who want or need it but I would pick my kids up usual time or home ed rather than have my kids in 8 till 6 when I don't need it.

clam Thu 17-Oct-13 23:50:05

WorraLiberty: "I know a lot of teachers who are under too much pressure to deliver so much within those hours...so I don't blame some of them for wanting extra time."

Seriously? You know of teachers who want a longer day? I don't know of ANY (and I know a LOT of teachers!)

Jellypudmum Thu 17-Oct-13 23:53:50

Why is Gove so insistent on wrecking children's childhood? When was it ever considered a good thing to put even more pressure and less relaxation time on children?

valiumredhead Fri 18-Oct-13 00:02:50

Ds asked his head teacher about this and shorter summer hols as he'd heard or it read it in the news, apparently she muttered something about 'over my dead body' grin

clam Fri 18-Oct-13 00:04:41

Yeah, wasn't it Gove who said, "if teachers enjoy their job, they should be glad of the opportunity to do it for longer for no extra pay?

Twat.

HulaHooperStormTrooper Fri 18-Oct-13 00:06:44

I would prefer shorter hours spread over 6 days instead of 5. Longer school days in my opinion would be of no benefit to the child.

Sparkle9 Fri 18-Oct-13 00:08:47

My school is open 8 to 6 but the teaching hours are a normal 9 to 3.15. A not-for-profit company provides the 8-9 and 3.15-6 wrap-around care for those children/parents requiring it. IMO this is the best model - the costs are low because the company is using the school premises and doesn't have rent, energy, council rates to pay (but does make a contribution to the school to cover energy etc). I'm a teacher and I am usually at school 8-5 but I need that time around the teaching time of 9-3.15 to be able to do all the other parts of my job that don't involve directly working with my class! There is not a chance I could work longer hours with the children and still be able to mark, plan, assess, organise trips, meet with parents, arrange the Christmas play, organise my classroom, order new classroom resources, speak to the SENCO about children, mentor my student teacher...... You get the idea!

I agree with other posters that compulsory longer days are no good for the children either.

Sports coaching etc would be excellent in the wrap-around time but these coaches cost more than the quite low paid childcare workers and parents already think that after-school care is outrageously expensive so I'm not sure where the funds would come from for this.

Notcontent Fri 18-Oct-13 00:15:23

It's a stupid idea. What we need is smaller classes and better, more focused teaching, not a longer day.
My dd goes to a good school - but they spend so much time doing very little...

WorraLiberty Fri 18-Oct-13 00:21:43

Yes Clam I do know teachers who feel that way.

But that's mainly because my DC's school is one of only 12 in the borough that starts at 8.55am and finishes at 3pm.

All the others finish at 3.20pm or 3.30pm.

I know it's only 20 mins to half an hour's difference, but to them they feel they have to deliver the same as other teachers in the borough, but with less time.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 18-Oct-13 00:21:57

I don't see how giving a choice in terms of education would work tbh.
Fair enough to supply after school activities, and childcare but those not staying would have less time at school for education purpose.
If it was compulsory to stay longer many small businesses and self employed service providers would lose part if not all of their income.
Likewise dc would miss out on extra curricular activities and groups not organised by schools.
They don't need more time in school, its a ridiculous idea.
We H.ed and fit into a couple of hours what it takes all day to achieve at a school so are lucky in regarding lots of free time, but for those who aren't they really need this time to play, fun activities or hobbies, chill out and be kids.

farewellfarewell Fri 18-Oct-13 00:26:42

what is all this' working parents' stuff about anyway? do I think it is something which would benefit children? no I don't-and that is the question we need to ask ourselves. childcare is a whole other question. I work full-time, doesn't mean I want to see all children stuck in school from 8-6....

Xochiquetzal Fri 18-Oct-13 00:32:52

reception DD's school day is 8.50-3.15 and she generally falls asleep within 45 minutes of getting home from school, she couldn't cope with longer days!

Isityouorme Fri 18-Oct-13 06:12:46

In terms of secondary school, I would support a longer day where the children do homework at school in a structured environment where they can get support. Secondary schools finish earlier than junior schools round here!

No. I have deliberately sacrificed a higher income to be part time to spend time with my child. That is my choice, as it is individual choice of full time working mothers. I would be pissed off to be honest if our family life had to be dictated to by their choice.

Better options for out of school childcare for those who want it is a better option. My ds goes to bed fairly late but finishing at 5, our 'quality time' would be tea, homework, bath and bed. Where is the time to be a child?

oliveoctagon Fri 18-Oct-13 06:31:16

Dd does 7.30- 5.30/6 and she is 5 but she is having fun with her friends at that time. I dont want her in school as she loves where she goes.

sleepywombat Fri 18-Oct-13 06:54:51

My private school used to finish at 5, for all juniors (over 7s, the under 7s finished at 3.30). But we had NO homework at all. I loved it.

The schools around here (Australia), private & state, finish at 2.30, but children have ridiculous amounts of homework from year 1 age. A lot of which are craft projects etc. I know our neighbours (my dcs are still pre-school) hate it - takes up the whole afternoon, evening, weekends - children don't get to play outside, parents don't have time to help with work/younger siblings etc

MammaTJ Fri 18-Oct-13 06:59:39

I pay for after school care and still would not want my DC to have a longer school day. They have enough on their plates with what they already learn. The after school club is FUN!! They need that in their lives too. By the time their dad has picked them up from that, got them home and cooked their tea, read with them, had quiet time and got them ready for bed, it really is time for bed for a 7 and 8 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now