Girls knickers

(85 Posts)
Sweatpea4 Thu 17-Oct-13 21:12:11

I think it is time that manufacturers made girls knickers, mainly age 2 to at least 8years, full size instead of Bikini briefs. I am fed up of my grandchildren showing bare backs because their pants are so short in the body that their vests will not stay in, resulting in their backs getting cold, not good for the kidneys.
What do others think please?
Linda

aturtlenamedmack Thu 17-Oct-13 21:13:47

Mum, is that you?

my dd doesnt wear a vest. How does it affect the kidneys? Maybe they need longer tops rather than bigger pants

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 17-Oct-13 21:15:52

shock Backs getting cold and not being good for their kidneys?!

What a load of tripe! Sorry op grin

SaucyJack Thu 17-Oct-13 21:16:18

I'm fed up of seeing labia- never mind their backs getting cold.

M&S do do modern no-VPL shorts type ones tho that are more substantial. I put my oldest in them in summer.

puntasticusername Thu 17-Oct-13 21:17:38

No, it's MY mum, she always says the kidney thing too!

I think you have a good point actually. I have no idea about kidneys, but it's only sensible to try and stay warm when it's cold out. I'm not sure if manufacturers will start making different sorts of knickers though, think the styles are driven more by fashion than practicality.

TreTops Thu 17-Oct-13 21:19:04

Dd has some Disney store ones which are much more like full briefs than the ones we have got from supermarkets. Maybe you could try there...

RandomMess Thu 17-Oct-13 21:19:10

H&M do proper decent short style big pants, very comfy they are too age 2-14+

Bingdweller Thu 17-Oct-13 21:19:24

YY to M&S girls shorts style pants. My DD loves them as they don't get "stuck in her bum".

Sokmonsta Thu 17-Oct-13 21:19:27

Sainsbury's do some which come up a good size smile

Patchouli Thu 17-Oct-13 21:20:04

My 9 year old DD has always worn supermarket knickers - they're fine. But then the supermarket thermal vests are pretty long.

KirjavaTheCorpse Thu 17-Oct-13 21:20:08

What's a full size brief? Aren't they all just... briefs, at that age?

JumpingJackSprat Thu 17-Oct-13 21:20:14

I thought it was just my mum that said about getting cold in your kidneys :D

Passthecake30 Thu 17-Oct-13 21:21:02

It's MY mum.....it's MY kids that are gonna get who knows what for flashing a bit of skin on their back!

17leftfeet Thu 17-Oct-13 21:21:31

Are you supposed to tuck your vest into your knickers then??

Ericaequites Thu 17-Oct-13 21:21:57

My mother says this also, and she was a nurse.

Donkeyok Thu 17-Oct-13 21:22:35

My DD prefers the boxer short style which cover more and now she is in secondary school there is a fad for wearing PE cycling shorts over knickers under the skirts, which given short shirts and cold weather seems reasonable.

Patchouli Thu 17-Oct-13 21:22:48

Actually as a GP are you the one buying the knickers - maybe it's a style choice your DC is making rather than a manufacturer thing. Full size knickers are the norm when I get them.

Boardingblues Thu 17-Oct-13 21:25:22

Loving the responses! Does getting cold in your kidneys make you sweat pea or is your nickname a coincidence?

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 17-Oct-13 21:27:18

You know that the kidneys are located inside the body,don't you?

dd likes the shorts style ones from tesco

LittleMissWise Thu 17-Oct-13 21:28:01

Do people still make their children tuck their vests into their knickers?
If it wasn't for the fact my nieces are 18&21 I would be bloody certain the OP is my mother!

FreakinRexManningDay Thu 17-Oct-13 21:29:08

Why not just buy 'boys' knickers for her then OP?

MissStrawberry Thu 17-Oct-13 21:29:49

M&S do

briefs
bikinis (aged 2 anyone hmm)
boy shorts (why the boy?)

I just want regular knickers for my daughter that cover her up and are comfy. They aren't a blinking fashion item at her age.

I am going to sound like the OP now blush when I was in Next a few years back I was shock to see thongs in their girls knickers range. From age 5 FFS. Thongs.

I am with all the other posters though - largely only see/buy normal size or shorts for DD. apart from Next, hoiks own judgy pants

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now