Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think friend shouldn't have invited himself?

(22 Posts)
teafortwoplease Thu 17-Oct-13 14:43:52

My relatively new boyfriend asked me on a date to an art preview. A close male friend has now got himself a ticket to come along. This happened after I let l the friend know about another event later in the evening which I thought he might like as it's a photography show and he is into that kind of thing. I said we were going somewhere else beforehand. He asked me where we were going first and as soon as I described it and showed him the link, he messaged me saying he had just got himself a ticket online and would see us there! AIBU to think he should have realised I wasn't inviting him to the first thing and to want to tell him to just meet us later at the second event (which will be a less romantic more social venue)?

OhBuggerandArse Thu 17-Oct-13 14:45:42

Relax! You're hardly going to be in full snog at an art preview are you? Good opportunity for your boyfriend to get to know your friend.

tripecity Thu 17-Oct-13 14:45:48

just tell him

Well, you know not to tell him where you're going next time! wink
Seriously, I wouldn't be impressed but I'd make the most of it, warn new BF and just enjoy myself. Next time don't say anything until after the event.

teafortwoplease Thu 17-Oct-13 15:30:13

yes, justforlaughs, I am my own worst enemy I mentioned the ballet to him before, where I was going with my son and he asked me which night and bought a ticket! - it was okay in the end. I will try to have fun, have messaged him to say it's a date, see what he does!

MaxPepsi Thu 17-Oct-13 15:31:40

Sounds like he wants to be more than friends to me!

I was just thinking the same MaxPepsi

PeppiNephrine Thu 17-Oct-13 15:33:59

He's not inviting himself on your date, he's just going along as well. Why shouldn't he?

OTTMummA Thu 17-Oct-13 15:35:43

WSS ^

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Thu 17-Oct-13 16:09:05

Eww he sounds jealous. Nip it in the bud

PerpendicularVincentPrice Thu 17-Oct-13 16:10:02

OP, he fancies you grin.

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Thu 17-Oct-13 16:10:03

Also this guy you are going with is going to wonder why another guy is going on your date too and if you tell him.... he's going to wonder about this guy too

HavantGuard Thu 17-Oct-13 16:15:37

Tell him it's a date and not a threesome.

Frostedloop Thu 17-Oct-13 16:23:30

Its a date, tell your make to sod off, or shag him whichever you prefer. Sorry but he sounds like a bit simple assuming he can tag along on a date as a third wheel.

NicknameIncomplete Thu 17-Oct-13 16:58:30

He sounds like he has a thing for you. Does he always invite himself to places where you are going?

fairy1303 Thu 17-Oct-13 17:01:20

Definitely fancies you so he's trying to put the kibosh on your romantic evening.

DameDeepRedBetty Thu 17-Oct-13 17:03:14

Did he absolutely definitely know you were going to be there on a date?

Mojavewonderer Thu 17-Oct-13 17:06:22

Mmmm he definitely wants to be more than just friends!

MrsGarlic Thu 17-Oct-13 17:35:36

Were you definitely clear? I ask only because I've been in his position before... completely accidentally. I asked a friend "what are you doing on Friday" and she said "X (a mutual friend) and I are going to the cinema to see xyz" and I said "oh fab, I'd love to see that, what time etc" and rather than say "oh, it's a date" she told me the time and place and said "see you there maybe" so I showed up. I had no idea they'd bloomin' well started seeing each other and he had no idea I'd be coming along! Awkward central.

Minnieisthedevilmouse Thu 17-Oct-13 17:39:42

He fancies u. He's a loon. He's lonely.

Take your pick?

LondonNightmareInGhostlyBoots Thu 17-Oct-13 17:44:11

erm, op, he really does fancy you. really. getting a ticket to the ballet to see it with you and your son? he wants to date you. did you clarify when you text him that this was a date with you and new bf? as is, x, im going on a date with newbf to this thing' as he might missread 'this was a date you know!' as 'I want this to be a date for you and I'.

teafortwoplease Fri 18-Oct-13 23:32:29

well I sent him a text explaining, he still came along but didnt reply to the text, at the event we held back behind the main crowd and walked through and in the end didnt bump into him. At the second event he turned up with another mutual friend, my boyfriend thinks he is okay, but visibly wanted to go home, anyway, yes I just wont tell him where I'm going in future, all a bit academic now as caught bf on dating site today, oh yes.. the developments!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now