to not do any more ironing after this?

(42 Posts)
MsWilliamTheBloody Thu 17-Oct-13 14:08:12

I don't mind ironing.

If I'm in the mood and have plenty of time I'll stick a film on and get on with it quite happily

DP asked yesterday if I'd iron his shirts because he'd run out. I said okay.

Today, as I'm ironing I notice something in a shirt pocket that I've ironed over. Obviously I take it out.

It's a bit of bent, broken paperclip. Really fecking hot. Hot enough to leave a blister on my finger and painful enough to bring tears to my eyes.

angry

He rang earlier and I told him what happened and if he could not do that again - surely you check pockets before chucking stuff in the laundry anyway?

He hung up. He's now in a mood.

hmm

He'll get over it.

However, is this a legitimate excuse not to iron his stuff again?

valiumredhead Thu 17-Oct-13 15:51:46

Completely agree with flip chart's post.

Ouch OP!sad

valiumredhead Thu 17-Oct-13 15:53:33

I do agree about not ringing up and ranting though, makes things worse ime have done it a few times

MsWilliamTheBloody Thu 17-Oct-13 16:04:18

Kiss'n'make up later.

grin

Okay!!

And I have no idea where the posts saying I rang him at work are coming from. I didn't ring him. Don't actually even know the number.

confused

Lovecat Thu 17-Oct-13 16:19:12

People seem to read the first 2 sentences of a post and make up their own story from thereon in on AIBU, OP.

FWIW he shouldn't have hung up on you and I would have told him he was doing his own ironing in future if he couldn't trusted to empty his pockets. (22 years married and never ironed a shirt)

Those saying the OP 'must' have spoken to him like he was a child, she trusted him to behave like an adult when she didn't check his pockets before ironing - assuming that he won't do that and it's her job to check up after him is far more infantilising...

MsWilliamTheBloody Thu 17-Oct-13 16:23:35

I actually think I'm unnecessarily angry in general at the moment.

Little things are making me feel the rage. Suffer from anxiety and depression. I have pills to take when it all gets too much and I'm worried they're becoming a crutch. A little thing upsets me and I'm like,
"Quick. Where are my pills. Numb the feelings. Numb the feelings."

Was actually going to post in Mental Health about it later.

Small things like hot paperclips shouldn't anger people, should they?

sad

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 17-Oct-13 16:29:46

<< small things my DH does anger me irrationally>>

I don't think it's that unusual after 14 years of marriage grin but I also try to be aware that it (probably) is irrational. I suffered a long time with depression and although I'm better now I do think it has a long term impact which I try to be aware of. Not always successfully, cos we're all human. But when you're hurt by something you also get an adrenaline surge so it is harder to act calmy. I still find this difficult, but it does sound like maybe you've both had a hard time recently? It's not easy living with somone with depression either, so maybe time to cut each other some slack and look after each other?

mathanxiety Thu 17-Oct-13 16:51:58

Hope your finger is feeling better MrsWilliam.

Sometimes it's the little things that really get the goat. Don't worry about yourself being angry. Anger like that is usually meant to tell you something. Maybe take some time to sit down and think slowly about how you would like things to be and compare with how they are? Then ask yourself what little steps you can make to get closer to where you want to be? Sometimes it feels better to have a plan and to have some sense of going somewhere.

How come you don't have your DH's work number?

sashh Thu 17-Oct-13 17:05:14

An iron you say, an iron? Er.............. nope still doesn't ring a bell.

comewinewithmoi Thu 17-Oct-13 17:07:04

Ltb

MsWilliamTheBloody Thu 17-Oct-13 17:13:24

How come you don't have your DH's work number?

I never asked. confused It's not a secret. It's a very googleable shop. He has rung me from it, is probably on my call log somewhere.

Anger like that is usually meant to tell you something. Maybe take some time to sit down and think slowly about how you would like things to be and compare with how they are?

I'm just stressed. Not keeping on top of basic things. Tired. Moving slowly.

Meh.

Ponderfully Thu 17-Oct-13 17:23:50

Ah you see the trick here is to lie and say you can't iron. 4 years later and he still believes me. Mwah hahaha

BlackeyedSusan Thu 17-Oct-13 18:43:09

I think getting angry when you have had a burned finger is ok. (as long s you do not go over the top) but if you stay angry or your anger is disproportional then that is a problem.

mathanxiety Sun 20-Oct-13 07:21:58

Hope your weekend is going ok, MrsWilliam.

mathanxiety Sun 20-Oct-13 07:22:23

*MsWilliam (sorry)

FergusSingsTheBlues Sun 20-Oct-13 07:29:20

Im thinking calling him at work is a bit OTT....but that must have been fucking painful, OP!

I don't get all this antipathy towards ironing men's shirts....I iron my husbands shirts because I like doing stuff for him. Plus he brings home the bacon while I sit on my ass entertaining two babies....the only time he's done his own was when we were both working full time.

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Sun 20-Oct-13 07:51:21

Dh irons his own, thankfully (I'm crap at it) but I'll certainly do one for him if he's in a rush - and surely a small bit of paper clip is easily overlooked? I hope your finger is feeling better now though, OP, and I'm sorry things are getting on top of you. That sounds like a bigger issue and one that really does warrant a conversation with your dh.

(This thread reminds me of when a colleague (!) asked me to iron a shirt - I was 18 and working pt in a boarding house, he was a live in tutor. I agreed, but 'accidentally' used dewberry body shop perfume - the really sweet flowery one - as the water spray.... He didn't wear it, and never asked me again! Job done!)

MarysDressSways Sun 20-Oct-13 07:57:21

I don't iron. Saves a lot of bother!
Only thing that gets ironed in this house are my husband's shirts for work. By him obviously. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now