To wonder if champix could be the beginning of the end....

(37 Posts)
flowerandrandd Thu 17-Oct-13 07:40:22

Trying to give up smoking, several failed attempts...prescribed champix, read the booklet and I'm astonished, apart from suicidal feelings, there is a chance of heart attack skin blistering, etc etc, I suffer with anxiety and I am antidepressants so I think I'm playing with fire....

Anyone else had champix? Aibu just to bin them?

PatoBanton Thu 17-Oct-13 13:24:03

Ooh x posts!

flowerandrandd Thu 17-Oct-13 14:31:46

I really do but if I have to make a choice between my mental health and smoking my mental health is more important that's why stopping using these mood altering drugs just isn't an option x

littlemisssarcastic Thu 17-Oct-13 16:11:15

The effects of Champix wore off for me over a few weeks after stopping taking it. I also had the nightmares, although they weren't too bad.
OTOH, I have been on zyban too and found that amazing, a wonder drug.
I really don't think anyone can tell you how Champix or Zyban will affect you and even you won't know unless you try it.
If you try it and it's not for you, stop taking it.
I think I would prefer to try than to continue smoking without trying.
Any smoker has reservations about whichever method they use to quit, but most methods of quitting are at least worth a try aren't they?

How about the high quality e cigs, as have been mentioned by various posters?

PlainLardy Thu 17-Oct-13 16:19:27

flower I'm taking the same ADs as you. I completely get what you're saying about your mental health being more important. But you don't know that Zyban/Champix will make it any worse unless you try. And if it does then you just stop until you feel you're in a better place mentally.

If your doctor has prescribed it then I say give it a try! Better to try and see if it works than to not try and always wonder. Don't be scared by the side-effects list - EVERY drug comes with a massive list as you'll know if you read your ADs list, they just have to cover all possibilities smile

lilola Thu 17-Oct-13 16:51:30

Is anyone willing to summarise that 'evangelical about e cigs' thread for me and just tell me which brand is the best? Please? It's so long and I got confused by the variety of brands

Champix worked for me - and i had tried most things. Though e-cigs hadn't been invented then!

I took it for 6 weeks but had to stop as it had an adverse affect on my moods. I sobbed all over my boss at work and went home and sobbed in the bath for two hours, for no reason. Very odd. DH said i had seemed quite PMT like in the lead up to that day. I soon got back to normal though, and have not smoked for 4 years.

I think I'd try it if i were you. Maybe keep a mood diary though to keep an eye on yourself. We all react differently to drugs.

magimedi Thu 17-Oct-13 17:46:54

lilola I have used this mail order firm & am delighted with them. Try one of their starter kits or even give them a ring - they are very helpful.

http://www.ecigwizard.com/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/

Or see if there is an e cig shop near to where you live & go in & have a chat, they will certainly be able to help you.

magimedi Thu 17-Oct-13 17:48:25

Sorry - forgot to make the link live:

www.ecigwizard.com/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/

PS I live in Sussex & can recommend a good shop if you are near. PM me if you want.

lilola Thu 17-Oct-13 17:49:27

Thanks v much magi
There is a vape shop on my way back from work actually I'll pop in and see what they can do!

FlapJackOLantern Thu 17-Oct-13 17:51:36

Dilidali is right - the ECigs from petrol stations/shops are absolutely crap. Get thee a PROPER ECig and you won't look back. I smoked 15 a day for 45 years and gave up by buying a DS901 from these people (don't forget to buy some liquid as well):

www.liberty-flights.co.uk/

or

www.ok-smokey.com/

magimedi Thu 17-Oct-13 17:53:16

You'll get lots of good advice there, Lilola & am sure you'll soon be an ex smoker.

I gave up a year ago after 40 years of smoking & haven't looked back.

It's not a bad idea to mix vaping with your regular cigarettes for a week or so as you get used to vaping. The way you puff is a bit different & the first few puffs can make you cough a bit. Good luck & come over to the other thread if you need more advice, lots of very knowledgable vapers there.

Apologies for derailing this thread a bit!

PlainLardy Thu 17-Oct-13 18:47:47

And here I was thinking this was a nest of vipers...seems it's also a nest of vapers grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now