To think DH should go and ask the man up the road to politely

(35 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Wed 16-Oct-13 22:41:09

Fuck the fucking fuck off with his fucking CB Radio? angry

I was trying to watch a film when, about five minutes in all I could hear from my speakers was "Charlie tango 351, this is charlie tango 351, is anyone out there? Over" every two fucking minutes, no-one ever answers the poor bastard, so why he bothers is beyond me.

I have been forced to decamp to the living room where DH has kindly switched off Sky Sports to let me watch my film and started trying to watch it with me angry. I'm not sure what's worse, listening to "Charlie tango 351" talk to himself over my film all night or putting up with DH's "Who's that? Wasn't she dead? Oh, was that the other one? Well who's that one then? Is she gonna die?"

I can't complain. I am not a natural complainer. I'm more of live and let live type, normally Charlie Tango does not bother me, but tonight I wanna make the most of the teachers strike with a bottle of cheap wine and a late night watching crappy 80's horror films. DH is far better at whinging than me, it's his hobby, therefore he should be the nasty twat who goes and tells him to switch the fecking thing off, no? Plus it's cold and it's raining and I don't want to get wet and I feel a bit sorry for the bloke coz no-one ever answers him, yet he's on the bloody thing all day and night long, poor bastard, so I'd probably end up inviting him round for a drink with us

DavesDadsDogDiedDiabolically Thu 17-Oct-13 08:13:11

Madder is right, all radio kit has to meet certain specs otherwise they'd be knocking all sorts of important kit out - if it's only your PC speakers it may be that the wires are acting as an aerial - may sound silly, but fiddle with the wires, shorten them if long or if they're hanging in a loop, make them flat etc...

I know it's not as fun an answer as "go up & have a row with the CB nutter" but it's more likely to work!!

LineRunner Thu 17-Oct-13 08:13:54

Ooh, good skills, Madderhat.

Has your club learned the art of talking across time into old fashioned microphones in the Hollywood style?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 17-Oct-13 08:33:57

Sorry, MadderHat blush I was too overwhelmed by your answer and just glanced at your nn.

MadderHat Thu 17-Oct-13 11:38:02

No, Coola, I have no problem with CBers, but they are a distinct species and some CBers dislike RAs and some RAs like CBers, and not everything applies to each other. I don't think anyone lumped us together up thread, but it was important that the OP understood that we were different so that she could not assume that the RAs would know the CBer. I didn't not intend for my tone to suggest that I looked down them. I stated the fact that their licence requirements didn't require the same level of electronics knowledge partly so that the OP understood the CBer might not be able to solve the issue the way the RAs are more likely to because of their experience and knowledge (also clubs tend to have spare filters for testing things). I think CBers work on much lower powers and aren't allowed to build their own kit so don't in theory need the knowledge, but I am not sure. I do know that RAs have to pass exams which have bits about building electronic circuits, and these days do practicals too.
LineRunner: CBers are the ones who talk into mikes in a cool way, RAs are too staid for that. I'm not in a club, don't even have any kit (it's expensive, so are children, I kept the children...)
Drinks: actually, I would have preferred to have MadHatter as a nick, but someone else had it first.
DDDDD: good point, I should have suggested that too, but didn't think of it.

ilovesooty Thu 17-Oct-13 11:38:23

I think if you want to approach the man to complain you should do it yourself not expect your OH to do it.

ZacharyQuack Thu 17-Oct-13 11:51:32

Have you tried wrapping your entire house in tinfoil?

Get DH to do it, then you can watch your movie in peace.

ohmymimi Thu 17-Oct-13 12:01:02

So, apparently, it's not him, it's you thlshock

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 17-Oct-13 12:09:15

DH would probably enjoy wrapping the house in tinfoil, he is convinced it's falling apart, we have a roofer and brick-fixing-type-person on stand-by constantly hmm I could persuade him that tinfoil will help keep the house from falling apart grin

FruOla, I didn't know it was one of the neighbours until DH told me that one of them has a giant CB ariel on his roof. I wasn't aware that CB radios even needed giant ariels.

I might just buy some new speakers. It sounds like it would be easier. These ones were only bought from the local discount electronics shop for £4 to make do until I got some proper ones, but then I was too lazy to go and source some proper ones. Although I have in the past tried connecting my ipod dock to use as a speaker and that just made it worse, we could hear poor, lonely Charlie Tango even clearer. I wonder of we have a club he could join?

Oooh, we're having a Halloween party soon, we'll be using the PC for the music as we have no other sound system in the dining room. I could ask Charlie Tango to make ghostly noises over his CB radio to add to the atmosphere grin

FruOla Thu 17-Oct-13 14:39:57

I've got some bonkers speaker on my PC (they're a bit crap really - but they have flashing light thingies!) - so I'm now desperate to hear a CBer talking to me now. It all sounds so exciting grin

Beastofburden Thu 17-Oct-13 16:17:31

madhatter has the knowledge you need to sort this out. Listen to her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now