if I ask downstairs to stop smoking dope?

(62 Posts)
whogrewoutoftheterribletwos Wed 16-Oct-13 22:02:21

I can smell it in my living room and bedroom, where DD (5 months) is sleeping. We're fairly new in the stairwell, as are they, and don't want to get off on the wrong foot. This is the second time this week. Have noticed it before too, but I'm hoping it's not going to become a regular occurrence. They're not students but a DINKY couple. Normally I'd say they can do whatever they want in their own home, but I really don't want my home to smell as a result of that.

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Oct-13 23:01:45

It doesn't matter if it's a legal smell or 'illegal smell'

The fact is it's just a smell and the OP doesn't like it

But she may have to find a way to cope with it/insulate against it if the smokers won't change where they smoke it.

BlackeyedSusan Wed 16-Oct-13 23:03:54

oH I don't know about the police not doing anything. downstais flat was raided with full riot gear after a lot of complaints from a lot of neighbours. they were only smoking and not selling.

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Oct-13 23:08:43

BlackeyedSusan in order for that flat to have been raided and a Judge to look over the evidence presented before him/her, there must have been very good reason to believe they were dealing and not just having the odd joint after work in front of the TV.

The fact they claimed (and were believed to be) not selling, would have been 'luck' on the dealers side.

Either that or some people told some elaborate lies about them in order to get them busted.

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Oct-13 23:10:36

And the use of full riot gear would mean they were given more than a tip off that the tenant was merely doing more than enjoying a spliff.

SaggyIsHavingAPinkKitten Wed 16-Oct-13 23:11:14

I'm sorry Worra, but I think that is bollocks! It's reasonable to expect to have to put up with cooking smells. It is unreasonable to have to put up with the smell or someone smoking an illegal substance.
And presumably, the baby could potentially be affected by the fumes in the same way as she would by passive smoking?

Caitlin17 Wed 16-Oct-13 23:14:54

You could try saying, I smell it and my health visitor will probably smell it, they can be real bloody pains, really uptight, she might report it.

Hopefully as dinkies they will have no idea what hvs really do.

Gosh, is dinky now consigned to the past?

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Oct-13 23:15:37

I doubt the baby would be any more affected by the fumes of a joint that's travelled up a floor, than it would be directly breathing in traffic fumes.

But that argument aside, my point here is that other than politely ask them to smoke outside their home, there is literally nothing else the OP can do.

Other than move to a detached home with far away neighbours because the police can't do jack shit.

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Oct-13 23:18:38

Report it to who though?

To the police who (if they have nothing better to do) may knock on the door and ask if they'd be awfully kind as to stop?

Or does anyone think the SAS are going to come smashing through the window and tell everyone to get on the floor?

Honestly, no judge in the land will sign a warrant to raid a property because someone is smoking what's considered under law as 'personal use'.

PresidentServalan Thu 17-Oct-13 11:28:20

I always think you have to be very careful that you don't cause any kind of nuisance to them either, iyswim. Given that you have a baby, do you want them knocking your door every time she cries or makes any kind of noise? I have seen this happen, the neighbours were 'live and let live' types until their neighbour made a complaint about them!

PresidentServalan Thu 17-Oct-13 11:30:36

And asking them to smoke outside will just mean they will bother other people. Unfortunately unless you live in a nice detached house in the middle of nowhere you have to contend with the habits of neighbours!

Branleuse Thu 17-Oct-13 11:35:32

i suggest incense sticks in the hall.

Tell them that you can smell weed coming out of their front door into the hall, and would they mind opening a window when they smoke it?

DownstairsMixUp Thu 17-Oct-13 11:35:34

I remember I had this problem in my first flat, I lived on my own with my son who was 10 months old at the time so I found it quite intimidating but I did go and ask, they just blinked at me and mumbled something and shut the door on me! One of my friend's was a PCSO in the area and said he could say something but nothing much could be done, the police did visit them but they didn't answer the door so just posted a note under the door. To be fair, the police were nice to me and understanding but there really wasn't much they could do.

I just moved eventually as couldn't stand the stink, especially when people would visit and the hallways stunk of the stuff. Sorry this reply isn't much help but there isn't much you can do aside from ask, perhaps they will be a bit more polite than my neighbours and smoke outside. Good luck!

BenNJerry Thu 17-Oct-13 11:44:34

There's a big difference between cooking smells and the smell of dope. Cooking isn't harmful - dope is. I wouldn't want my baby subjected to the smell of dope either. It is illegal, not to mention anti-social. I don't think YABU.

Nancy66 Thu 17-Oct-13 11:45:13

There's no harm in approaching them in a friendly way and ask if it would be possible to smoke with their windows open to disperse the smell a little.

BenNJerry Thu 17-Oct-13 11:46:27

Although TBH, you can ask and if they do say no, there isn't a lot you can do.

DropYourSword Thu 17-Oct-13 11:48:11

Go and join them when they have a smoke, soon enough you won't give a shit about the smell and will just want to eat your body weight in munchies!

KellyElly Thu 17-Oct-13 13:31:36

The police won't do a thing. When a friend of mine was caught with some weed, the police gave him a caution and advised him to smoke it in his own home as opposed to Regents Park in future grin

Thants Thu 17-Oct-13 13:36:54

Yanbu op. I'm not anti drugs but drug use should not affect other people! I think you should speak to them. Is it a rental property? If so tell the landlord.

BurberryQ Thu 17-Oct-13 13:37:28

yes well that is the Met, KellyElly, rural police forces such as this one have great fun busting people for .2 of a gram on the say so of their neighbours,,,,,

Beastofburden Thu 17-Oct-13 13:59:11

Can you afford double glazing? noise, smells, etc- its all going to bug you if things are so close together.

boardcreche Thu 17-Oct-13 14:11:32

YANBU - I'd speak to them. It is dope after all therefore not legal. If they're shirty you can always give your local police station a call and tell them there's illegal drug related activity going on ( don't say which drug...). A warning from the fuzz should sort them out...

Enb76 Thu 17-Oct-13 14:17:45

I had neighbours who did this, I politely asked them if they minded smoking in another room as the smell wafted in to my daughter's bedroom. They were incredibly apologetic and I never smelt them again. Most people are perfectly reasonable.

artyone Thu 17-Oct-13 14:18:26

I would ask them to do something about it. I would be just as upset if it was cigarette smoke making it's way into my house/flat etc and I had a baby in there. I would also see what you can do about it, maybe get a draft excluder for the front door if it's coming in that way?

YANBU, second hand smoke is not nice.

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Thu 17-Oct-13 14:48:06

YANBU. It's a criminal offence.

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Thu 17-Oct-13 16:35:47

Of course you would not be unreasonable, it's just polite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now