Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be heartbroken about dds baby teeth

(49 Posts)
ditsydoll Wed 16-Oct-13 21:11:59

Dd had a fall over the weekend and injured her mouth and front teeth. She's almost 5 so would have lost her teeth shortly but after brushing her perfect little pearly whites since the corrupted through her gums at 6 months it looks like she's going to either lose her front teeth or they might go grey.
Dentist Saud the grey was a kind of bruising in the tooth. Anyone's dcs had a tooth go discolored after a trauma?
I know they're only baby teeth but I'm so upset. Dh thinks I'm majorly over reacting

Tallaween Thu 17-Oct-13 23:55:07

DD killed her top two front teeth falling on to IL's bidet (angry ) when she was 18 months old.

They have gone grey, the nerve is dead apparently. She is nearly 6 now and other than the discolouration have caused her no problems.

I do wish they would fall out, but given she was a late bloomer teeth wise (had 8 on her 2nd birthday) and no sign of any wobbles yet I think we're stuck with them for a while yet sad

The sad is for me, DD couldn't care less.

ditsydoll Thu 17-Oct-13 23:39:33

Thanks everyone for your replies, I feel much better. Frazzle I don't really know what to say but thankyou for putting it into perspective, I feel silly for fretting about it when I know there are children out there with far worse problems than a knocked tooth.

LightasaBreeze Thu 17-Oct-13 17:42:01

DS had a fall aged 4 and his teeth went through just below his bottom lip. One front baby tooth went grey and then later got an abcess in the gum, Dentist removed this tooth with just an injection, DS aged 5 or 6 was very brave. Then his adult tooth came through perfectly.

Then 10 years later he chipped the tooth walking into a lamppost whilst talking and dentist had to build it up, its still OK now 5 years later.

FortyFacedFuckers Thu 17-Oct-13 17:32:55

The same thing happened to DS when he was 3 I was heartbroken every time I looked at his lovely smile I felt so sad but he's nearly 8 now and the discoloured tooth feel out on Monday.

tammytwigg Thu 17-Oct-13 17:25:46

My dd banged her tooth in the bath when she was 3 it went grey ,gutted at first then never actually noticed it .now aged 9 fell off a pony at riding school and snapped both of her adult front teeth off , bad luck or what.the dentist has capped them been off 3 times already in a year , she has to wait till she is 14 for permanent crowns , she's not bothered though bless her .

peanutMD Thu 17-Oct-13 17:25:10

My DS had a bad fall when he was 3 and managed to push his top middle teeth out and up (ouch!) but after a few weeks they returned to a more normal positopn, 1 went grey and the other stayed white but now 4 years on the grey tooth is very pale grey almost really so it may be fine.

smile

Iwaswatchingthat Thu 17-Oct-13 17:21:22

This happened to my dd and I was totally gutted too as I really took good care of them. They did go a little discoloured, but only in a way that if you looked really closely - basically I knew, but it was not obvious to everyone else.

Her adult teeth grew through as white as snow and are gorgeous!

sarahtigh Thu 17-Oct-13 17:18:13

as a dentist I know 1 in 8 toddlers ( boys and girls equally) do some damage to teeth via trauma going grey is the commonest, when it gets hit the nerve and blood vessels in the tooth are severed and it is like an internal tooth bruise which makes it go pinky/ gray some teeth whiten again most do not being realistic

sometimes they do get infected and need removing damage to baby teeth especially is pushed upwards into mouth can damage permanent teeth but less so at age of 5 as enamel on underlying adult tooth will be fully formed at 5

going grey is on the minor end of dental trauma so being a bit upset is understandable however being distraught would be overreacting

swannylovesu Thu 17-Oct-13 17:16:41

my ds2 did this when he was 1, all his pictures show 2 beaming grey teeth sad but, he looks odd with white ones now!

appletarts Thu 17-Oct-13 16:39:03

You've obviously never had anything serious happen to your children. Having seen some of the things I have seen on childrens wards I'd say you're doing ok with a couple of grey teeth. Count your blessings and chin up. YABU, I agree with your DH.

Wanksock Thu 17-Oct-13 15:45:27

My DS somersaulted off his bed and whacked his front teeth at around 2 and one of them went grey, but then after a while went back to white again, he is now 4 and his teeth look perfect. It was a bruised tooth, so even if it goes grey, it might just be blood in the tooth and can go back to white.

(( Trazzle ))

Trazzletoes Bosnia-Herzegovina Thu 17-Oct-13 15:39:50

ditsy it is really upsetting when DCs damage their teeth. DS chipped his front teeth before he turned 2. I was totally gutted. I was so upset thinking about his school photos etc.

You know what? No one has ever commented on it. People just do not look that closely at your child's teeth.

And I feel pretty stupid having worried about school photos - he's got cancer now and even starting school next year sometimes feels impossibly distant.

I'm not trying to be flippant and I DO understand how upsetting it is. I'm just trying to say that in a few weeks you won't notice it at all and will wonder why you reacted like that. DH thought I was some kind of crazy lady at the time. I cried for days!

pinkballetflats Thu 17-Oct-13 15:34:32

Who gives a crap what other people think? Bugger them. Stop wasting your energy worrying about that and spend it on enjoying your DD.

Ditsy - if your dd was going to fall and bash her teeth at some point then I reckon 5 was about the best age to do it. I'm thinking they may be ready to fall out anyway within the year ? My dd bashed and chipped one of her front teeth when she was about 7 - an adult tooth she'd only had for a year or so. But they did a good job capping it so even that's not the end of the world.
Don't worry what others may think - most are too busy worrying about their own DC to fret about yours ?

ditsydoll Thu 17-Oct-13 15:25:50

I think I'd rather she had a chip or no tooth rather than the thought of it going grey. I just think people will assume I don't brush her teeth which is far from.true. sad

ditsydoll Thu 17-Oct-13 15:25:22

I think I'd rather she had a chip or no tooth rather than the thought of it going grey. I just think people will assume I don't brush her teeth which is far from.true. sad

throckenholt Thu 17-Oct-13 14:52:56

My twins went through a crazy couple of months when they were 2-3ish when they both managed to knock out both front teeth - top and bottom. It was totally farcical. At least they didn't go grey (small mercies). I think once one is damaged it leaves the others a bit vulnerable.

However, it is now a distant memory (they are 10) and had no lasting effect on them or their teeth.

2tiredtocare Thu 17-Oct-13 14:45:50

Little kids manage to make everything look adorable, rolls of fat, wonky teeth the lot

MurderOfBanshees Thu 17-Oct-13 14:11:54

DS broke his first tooth, snapped the top off it. It had just come through. He was only about 13 months old. So now he has one wonky tooth right at the front, and will do until it falls out.

I figure he has "character" now hmm grin

pinkballetflats Thu 17-Oct-13 13:52:14

I'm sorry this is upsetting you but yes, your Dh is right, you are over-reacting. If this is the worst thing that is ever going to happen to your DD then she will lead a very blessed life.

NandH Thu 17-Oct-13 13:51:24

My dd did simular about 4 months ago, she smashed the front tooth after falling over in sainsburys and then had to have to the rest of the tooth removed in hospital.

Kids do these things, its life smile

pixiepotter Thu 17-Oct-13 13:48:18

The dentist told me my dd's 2 front teeth were dead and she had to have them pulled out! hadn't even noticed blush she said it was when her and her brother were having an altercation andpushed her into a wall and that she had told me all about it.I couldn't remember that either blush

2tiredtocare Thu 17-Oct-13 12:58:27

My DD knocked her two front baby teeth as a toddler they turned grey after about two/three weeks, the dentist said that there is a possibility that the adult teeth may have been affected but its unlikely so I just have to wait and see. She has had one spiteful girl in class saying she doesn't brush her teeth but she just told her that she had nerve damage so there

ditsydoll Thu 17-Oct-13 12:53:04

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's not turned grey yet. Fingers crossed it will be ok but if not I'm glad it's just a baby tooth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now