To ask how much you spend on your children's birthday and Christmas presents?

(98 Posts)
pimplypoppet Wed 16-Oct-13 18:19:59

Yes I know it's rude to ask and it depends how much money you have. We live in a modest 3 bed, DH earns approx £35k, I earn approximately £17k part time. Shopping for DDs 4th birthday today and realised with all the 'bits' I'd got I'd already spent in excess of £60. Does that seem a lot or a little to you? Realise this is not important at all, just a bit interested!

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 16-Oct-13 20:43:05

I spend about £70 - £80 plus a small family party for birthdays. Then about £60 for Christmas. I would rather spend more on their birthdays than Christmas.

FrightRider Wed 16-Oct-13 20:47:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ConstantCraving Wed 16-Oct-13 20:49:11

About £35 for DD's 4th birthday. No money on a party as she has zero interest in one and just wants to have tea with family and trip to the local farm! am making the most of it before it all changes in a few years!

enormouse Wed 16-Oct-13 20:50:26

Well ds is 2 next week and is getting the ikea play kitchen with associated bits and pieces. But we've split the cost for this between us and DPs parents, so about £40-£50 each.
Christmas should come to about £75-£85. Roughly, as long as I don't get too carried away on stocking fillers and clothes.

marriedinwhiteisback Wed 16-Oct-13 20:54:23

I think £60 is more than enough for a four year old whatever you earn.

Rufus44 Wed 16-Oct-13 20:55:05

£50 to £60 for birthdays. If I'm honest bits over Christmas inc Xmas eve pjs and book, Boxing Day gifts and other bits and bobs probably come to just under £200 each,

Mostly Boxing Day gifts are a computer game, board game and DVD that we all share, but we have bought a WII in the past.

6 other family members are £10, 5 are £20 and I only buy for 2 other children. My husband and I don't usually bother with presents so we save money there

fluffypillow Wed 16-Oct-13 20:56:23

Too much shock

Not saying...........it's embarrassing blush

stickyg Wed 16-Oct-13 21:00:02

We have a family income of around £50,000 and have an almost 5 year old daughter.

This year i have spent £160 on her birthday presents and she is having her first proper birthday party which is costing around £300.
We have spent £300 on toys for christmas but we will also be buying her an ipad (she has just been diagnosed with hf asd so this will benefit her).

junkfoodaddict Wed 16-Oct-13 21:00:48

I spend up to £150-£200 for DS at Christmas BUT one or two presents are put aside for his birthday which is a few days later.
We very rarely buy anymore toys and presents during the year, except a few books which I see as important, clothes, drawing books and colouring pencils and we earn approximately £100,000!
I don't see that as excessive - in fact we're quite fruggle (sp?) considering. We want to bring our child up to value his belongings and not to think that because we have more money than most people that he should splash it about, iykwim! We consider ourselves lucky to be in the position that we are. We're also looking for a second hand John Deere pedal tractor (DH IS materialistic when it comes to 'some' things!)
However, I have a friend who earns less than half of what we do but happily spends £400-£500 just on her eldest child's birthday and then again at Christmas and he gets presents nearly EVER week. Not sure how she's going to manage it with another DC.

pointyfangs Wed 16-Oct-13 21:05:16

I should add that my two are 10 and 12, so unfortunately more expensive. However, I can always please them by giving them books, so that makes stocking fillers easy (Yay the Book People!)

Beastofburden Wed 16-Oct-13 21:09:43

I don't think I spent the equivalent of that when mine were that young. More like £30 I would guess, maybe less as I wasn't earning in those days. Mine are young adults now and we are reverting to spending small amounts so they can afford to buy us stuff back. Bt there's a set up time when you tend to buy them their laptop or phone for Christmas, and even if you get them to pool all their Xmas money from wider family, you tend to get let in for £100 to do that.

BecauseYoureGorgeous Wed 16-Oct-13 21:10:58

About £250 all told.

BecauseYoureGorgeous Wed 16-Oct-13 21:18:29

Only one child though.

IcedTeaOneSugar Wed 16-Oct-13 21:19:50

We don't spend a lot for dd's birthday, maybe £40, but she always has a part, this year's party will probably cost about £150.

DDs birthday is very close to Christmas, we'd probably spend more if it was in the summer, to be honest she effectively gets something from her Christmas list a bit early.

Christmas varies depending on what she want for her main present, this year she wants a laptop, which will probably be about £300 - £350, so she'll only get that, her stocking and a few small bits and bobs.

We have a very reasonable joint income and only one child.

Lilicat1013 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:26:21

We are on a lower income, my husband earns just over minimum wage and I get carers allowance. We save up all year for Christmas, I do surveys for Amazon vouchers, save Boots points and do anything else that gets extra money for Christmas.

I don't have a budget, I buy early and on sale and decide on a on a case by case basis whether a present is affordable. I have a limit of the number of presents I buy. Each child gets eight toys and two books.

This year my older son's Christmas presents come to around £200 and my younger son's come to around £100. I can't remember how much of that was actual money spend and how much was Amazon vouchers, points or a free item on a three for two but that is how much the items came to.

Their birthday lists are already done, my older son's (who will be four) costs £140 and my younger son's (who will be one) costs around £130. I aim to get those items for less than that ideally though!

I have spent more than I would prefer to spend but I wanted to get them gifts that they will definitely love and will use and that seems to add up.

BruthasTortoise Wed 16-Oct-13 21:32:14

Between 50-100 on birthdays and between 100-400 on Christmas. 5 kids to buy for so I save all year.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 16-Oct-13 21:33:29

Its very dependant on the age of the child for me. This year I've spent £5 for Christmas on one of them but they will only be a few weeks old and will not have a clue the 19 month old is very interested in boxes so he's got a few token items in boxes suitable for sitting in I'm guessing its probably cost about £45 in total,

The teenagers have got combos of iPods and stuff like that one of mine who seriously has no desire for anything else has got a new water bubble system for his sensory room at a shockingly high cost.

My adult children get token gifts because they are grown ups.

marriedinwhiteisback Wed 16-Oct-13 21:38:07

For all the people on low incomes who spend £100+ on presents for under fives can I ask if grandparents, aunties, godparents, etc., buy presents as well for the children please.

And do you buy your dc things throughout the year too or do they just get things at Christmas? Ours used to get big things like bikes, scooters, ipods, gameboy thingies for Christmas (grandparents would buy a game and contribute to bigger presents like mobiles or laptops). But I've always been a sucker for buying the odd computer game or dvd between times.

Ours are older teenagers and have about a £250 limit (18 and 15).

GreenShadow Wed 16-Oct-13 21:46:27

This varies so much it is impossible to give a single answer.

When they were little, we spent very little on them at Christmas and birthday (maybe £20ish)

As they have got older and needed more, the amount has gone up, but we've never been one for buying vast quantities of presents - it has usually been just one present at birthday and maybe 3 or 4 (one big and a couple of other small ones) at Christmas.
I saw a thread on (whisper) NetMums the other day where they were listing what they had already got their DC - many had 20 plus presents plus stockings!

As someone said up-thread, we are prepared to spend more on occasions when it is needed, like driving lessons at 17 or soon after.

Lilicat1013 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:49:00

Marriedinwhite

In our case my mother buys toys for my sons (usually two each), my husband's family prefer to give non toy gifts so money for their savings accounts or towards a day trip)

They have three uncles, two do a gift and the other gives money towards savings. They occasionally have gifts from the extended family which tend to be books or clothes.

I don't get proper toys throughout the year, by proper I mean costing more than £5. It isn't really relevant for my younger son yet but my older son gets secondhand Playmobil animals from eBay, Hot Wheels cars from the supermarket, a pocket money priced toy from the gift shop on a day trip and books during the year but not things I would considered to be proper toys. They would be the sort of things he would buy with his pocket money if had any (he is autistic so wouldn't understand actually having some right now).

I used to go to NCT and car boot sales and my older son ended up with loads of things because they cost so little. We got over loaded with toys so I don't do that any more.

marriedinwhiteisback Wed 16-Oct-13 21:51:30

I think your dc sound very loved and very lucky lilicat

Lilicat1013 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:52:44

Thank you Marriedinwhite, that is very sweet of you to say.

pimplypoppet Wed 16-Oct-13 22:46:50

Wow. Thanks for so many replies. Really helpful. I do have to reign myself in a bit. I could easily get to a hundred plus just because I love buying stuff I know they'll like. They are 4 and 7 by the way. Thought it was also really interesting that nearly all of you spend more on kids at Christmas than their birthdays. I've always been the other way round thinking their birthdays were the bigger occasion.

marriedinwhiteisback Wed 16-Oct-13 23:04:20

Well I have the best of both worlds pimply with a Christmas day baby so have a double whammy on one day. Not so much of a baby now - he's 19.

bubalou Wed 16-Oct-13 23:08:05

On Xmas around £250 on ds - last year it was over £500 but only because we bought him an Xbox with all the controllers etc - but we do aim to cut down this year.

For DS 5th birthday in August we spent around £180 on some bits but we did do a massive party that cost a lot (£850) please don't judge me blush

I don't think it's the amount you spend that matters. We don't aim to spend a certain amount - we buy what he wants or what we think he might like within reason.

There's no bike or game station he wants this Xmas so he won't be getting a great deal spent on him I can imagine. Probably just board games, cars, skylanders etc.

It's not the amount - Xmas and birthdays are too much about presents - I'm trying desperately to encourage my lot to cut down so we can just enjoy a day together without all the build up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now