to be envious of my friend and a bit miffed

(77 Posts)
LEMisdisappointed Wed 16-Oct-13 14:28:23

Not sure if miffed is the right word.

lovely friend. Lovely hard working family. Comfortably off.

We do ok. Dp works like a slave, me sahm but have mh issues that are preventing me from working just now I certainly dont consider us to be hard up at the moment.

I have been walking my friends dog. On the odd occasion. When I walk in her house I have to strip off the minite I walk through the door its like the tropics only the dog home.

I honestly thought everyone worried about fuel bills. We still are putting jumpers on in evening no heating unless its bitter twice this year.

I might start spending the day at hers " kerping the dog company" luxuriating in the warm

V envy

CuthbertDibble Wed 16-Oct-13 15:22:07

The click is the current temperature. When the dial goes past the click it means you want to increase the temperature and so the heating will kick in.

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Oct-13 15:31:16

Oh I see Cuthbert thanks

So the temp where the dial is, is never below 21?

CuthbertDibble Wed 16-Oct-13 16:04:12

Sounds like it, sounds like you've got a lovely warm house. As it gets colder, if you don't have any heating on, you'll probably find that the click happens at a much lower temperature.

becsbornunderadancingstar Wed 16-Oct-13 16:09:56

Our place is boiling, am here in a T shirt, DH and DS sit about in their pants in the evening watching TV. We haven't switched the heating on yet this year, it's just really well insulated so heat from the oven/kettle etc. keeps the whole place toasty for ages. Maybe she just has good insulation too?

PlatinumStart Wed 16-Oct-13 16:13:38

I grew up in a cold house and whenever I complained was told to "put another jumper on". I therefore spend a small fortune on ensuring my draughty Victorian place is permanently toasty.

digerd Wed 16-Oct-13 16:29:55

Worra
When you say 21, do you mean the room thermostat?
My boiler is a condensing 2008 year with a high tech wireless room thermostat. If I put the thermostat to 21 when it is, in 4 minutes it will come on very low. If the room is actually 22, then it will, of course not come on.
Over night my sitting room ,where the thermostat is, the target temp is programmed to 16.5 so goes off. But it does go down to 17 . It comes on again at 5.30 with a target temp of 20 or 21, atm depending on what I set is as. The boiler has numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6, and max.

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 16-Oct-13 16:29:57

I leave mine set at a minimum temperature when not in for the animals, its my duty to look after them.

She may be envious you dont have to work, everyone has a moment of envy.

Beastofburden Wed 16-Oct-13 16:35:35

"worra" the 21 is your thermostat. So if you pick 21, you are telling your boiler, I want the house to be 21 degrees please.

Boilers sticks out its little thermometer and thinks, hmmm, house is currently 21 dgrees already, no need to put the radiators on.

You fiddle with the dial and put it up to 23 degrees.

Boiler thinks, ooops she actually wants 23 degrees, better put those radiators on then. Untill the house is 23 degrees.

If it was a cold day, and the natural temperature indoors was say 10 degrees, then if you had the dial turned to 15 degrees, the boiler would get busy with those radiators until the house was 15 degrees warm. So the lower numbers are there for when it gets colder.

Beastofburden Wed 16-Oct-13 16:36:50

cross posted...

marzipanned Wed 16-Oct-13 16:37:54

I'm envious of those of you with warm houses grin

Last winter was our first in this house and I took my usual approach of 2 hours morning and 2 hours night. We got a terrible damp and mould problem. Wish I lived in a cosy new build now.

digerd Wed 16-Oct-13 16:44:11

My boiler is in the cold garage and has no way of knowing the room temperature, that is the role of the room thermostat that relays its message to the boiler via a sensor attached to the boiler All a bit sci-fi grin.

ExcuseTypos Wed 16-Oct-13 16:46:50

LEM something else to think about- when I come in from walking the dog I always think the house is boiling hot. It's because it's cold outside and you are hot from walking. So the house feels stifling even if the heating is on very low.
If I sit down for a cuppa, it then feels quite cold.

DidoTheDodo Wed 16-Oct-13 16:49:04

Just wait till she hits a certain age and gets the hot flushes. She'll be switching off the heating and leaning out of those windows before you can say Jack Robinson.

ExcuseTypos Wed 16-Oct-13 16:49:29

But I do agree, leaving the heating on for a dog, all day is very wasteful. I wouldn't do that unless it was absolutely freezing outside.

YoureBeingADick Wed 16-Oct-13 16:49:48

You are miffed that she is wasting her own money? confused

Could i suggest a hobby maybe?

ExcuseTypos Wed 16-Oct-13 16:55:22

Rather harsh comment, YoureBeingADick

<resists the urge to comment on your username>

YoureBeingADick Wed 16-Oct-13 17:02:44

Maybe so. Maybe not. I think if this is really got OP miffed she has too much free thinking space in her head and could perhaps benefit from filling that space with a hobby. Although i suppose for some people, finding things to be envious about is a hobby.

horcruxmanzini Wed 16-Oct-13 17:03:54

I've got an old, cold, damp prone house. My builder AND my dad have told me not to be mean with heating during the winter, even now I've had everything lagged and insulated to within an inch of its life, because letting it get too cold then trying to heat it up quickly is, apparently, only going to create more problems.

my story, I'm sticking to it

digerd Wed 16-Oct-13 17:04:13

Most dogs do not need heating if they have a double coat of undercoat and top coat, unless it's one of those hairless dogs or a few other breeds with single short thin coats. They also have a blood temperature 1 degree higher than ours, my vet told me.

Laquitar Wed 16-Oct-13 17:07:55

Our heating is always on as we have my parents here. Not only they are old and ill but they lived in spain and not used to this weather.

Im dreading the bill this year.we cut down on everything else.

Preciousbane Wed 16-Oct-13 17:09:08

We have constant thermostat wars as DH feels the cold and was bought up in a centrally heated house whereas I was bought up in an unheated house the equivalent of Siberia.

When we got our lovely cat last year I arrived home from work to a tropical hothouse as he had left the heating on for the cat! We had words and she makes do with her bespoke fur coat now.

marzipanned Wed 16-Oct-13 17:30:26

horcrux this is an extremely stupid question but how did you go about getting everything insulated? We live in a rental so would it be worth it cost wise? Your house sounds a lot like ours.

precious we bought a heated igloo to complement our cat's bespoke fur coat (love that) - I don't recall it being that expensive and it gets very toasty inside.

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Oct-13 17:36:16

Ahh yes thanks for the explanations, it's all clear now. The dial/thermostat is a few feet away from the front door (open plan house) so I expect it'll change in the Winter. I got the boiler last April so haven't experienced this yet.

I especially loved this explanation because it's so clear, "Boilers sticks out its little thermometer and thinks, hmmm, house is currently 21 dgrees already, no need to put the radiators on."

grin grin

littlewhitebag Wed 16-Oct-13 17:37:09

I have never left the heating on for the dog. She us a lab and she really doesn't feel the cold. She swims in the pond when it is snowing!

I get too warm and hate the heating being on constantly. I can afford it but just don't like it.

everlong Wed 16-Oct-13 17:43:23

I put the heating on for the dogs grin

When they come in after a walk soaking wet, even after towelling them they are cold.

I wouldn't want to sit there like that would you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now