to ask you to donate to your local foodbank?

(168 Posts)

If you can afford to, obviously. smile

Figures released by the Trussell Trust today show that between April and September this year they fed 355,985 people; more than triple the number in the same period last year. 51% of these were due to benefits changes or delays, and 33% were children.

You can't just turn up at a foodbank and walk off with a box of food; you have to be referred by a professional (GP, health visitor, social worker, police officer etc). More and more people are being referred.

Please, if you can spare something, donate to your local foodbank.

issey6cats Wed 16-Oct-13 13:04:47

our local asda has a trolley in the lobby for our local foodbank and as im going round i buy a couple of tins extra and put them in

quoteunquote Wed 16-Oct-13 13:11:14

We have more people needing food at ours than we have food, unfortunately you only get referred for a few visits, so after that it's the soup kitchen, which only opens twice a day, so donate there also please.

And anything goes, any food/household essentials is considered very helpful.

ercoldesk Wed 16-Oct-13 13:13:18

DDs primary school donated the harvest assembly to a local food bank. The thank you talk by the organiser was one of the most moving speeches I have ever heard. The people they give to are in desperate, desperate need.

The asda trolley is a lovely idea. I haven't seen that anywhere, but might just drop a note to my local Waitrose suggesting they consider it after their massive re-fit.

That's a great idea issey, I'll suggest that to my local supermarkets.

LadyRabbit Wed 16-Oct-13 13:58:27

I think my local Sainsburys started taking food bank donations at weekends after locals asked for it. It's so easy that way, they give you a note with the most needed items, you do your shop and just donate to the reps. after. So simple. Just ask your local supermarket and see if they are willing to host it or take donations.

BrokenSunglasses Wed 16-Oct-13 13:58:39

Hopefully food banks will do well out of school harvest festivals. All the schools I am involved with are now asking for donations to a food bank where they used to donate to local elderly people.

I do hope the people who used to benefit from school harvest festivals don't miss their donations though.

LuisSuarezTeeth Wed 16-Oct-13 15:03:29

Bumping

SunshineMMum Wed 16-Oct-13 15:29:18

YANBU we haven't done for a while since we left our last church. Thanks for the reminder.

I think we should be thoroughly ashamed to have food banks. We should make sure that everyone in our country has enough to eat and enough support to not need them. But yes, in the interim, do give to the food bank.

NotYoMomma Wed 16-Oct-13 15:47:03

there is a foodbank crate in my Asda too so you can pick up extra bits and donate right there

there is also a cat and dog food cratefor the rescues etc

Tiredmumno1 Wed 16-Oct-13 16:08:19

Donated two big bags each to both schools for the harvest festival today, it goes to the local food bank.

It's great to see everyone donating to those who need a bit of help.

I will check my local supermarkets actually, I don't remember seeing anything there recently to leave donations.

Fleta Wed 16-Oct-13 16:13:48

Thank you for the reminder. Been stupidly busy and done online shopping the couple of months or so. Will make sure I pop into Asda to donate something.

FoamyBanana Wed 16-Oct-13 16:14:06

Was walking back from school run this morning and everyone was discussing how cold it was but nobody wanted to put the heating on yet as they were so worried about the cost.

Harvest festival was donations for the food bank this year.

It just feels so bizarre and sad that this is what the UK has come to. Ordinary people in the UK unable to feed themselves or heat their homes.

Amazing that we can still afford to bail out other countries and spend money on weapons though hmm

NotYoMomma Wed 16-Oct-13 16:16:16

there was someone going on about how great it was on tv this morning and they even referenced the big societyangry

iwas full of rage!

people were returning stuff to the foodbankthat needed cooking or heating as they couldnt warm it up!!!

bearleftmonkeyright Wed 16-Oct-13 16:16:26

I, like Mrs TP have mixed feelings about food banks. You can pull people out of the water but you have also got to stop them falling in.

Bathtimesoaker Wed 16-Oct-13 16:22:00

I've set up a food bank collection point in my office and every Tuesday they come and collect it. We've included a line on our emails that asks those who come to meet with us, if they are able to bring an item of food along for the food bank if they can afford to. It works really well and the food bank is nearly always overflowing. I still think it's a source of great shame that they exist in the first place but they do and we can all do something to help.

cranberryorange Wed 16-Oct-13 16:26:05

Does anyone know if you can donate items to the foodbank via your online food order at Asda or Tesco?

NotScared Wed 16-Oct-13 16:29:09

Our community centre has a big basket for this.

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 16-Oct-13 16:34:00

BNP helping hands runs our local one, not sure how confortable I am donating to help them improve their public image!

Will look in our tesco and see if they've got one instead.

PatPig Wed 16-Oct-13 16:44:29

> I think we should be thoroughly ashamed to have food banks. We should make sure that everyone in our country has enough to eat and enough support to not need them.

I don't think that is feasible. You can give everyone lots of money but some people will fall in bad times, get into debt, and so on.

The food bank concept is new in the UK. The first one was opened in 2000 and they started franchising in 2004.

People have always had need, the difference now is that it is possible to meet that need because whereas 10 years ago there was no food bank near 99% of the population, now there are food banks in most area - they have reached a critical mass.

shoofly Wed 16-Oct-13 16:53:03

My online tesco shop allows you to donate.

SouredStones Wed 16-Oct-13 16:55:42

I refuse to because I know at least two people who access the food bank because they Cba to pay for their shopping.

PatPig Wed 16-Oct-13 16:58:47

at least?

NotScared Wed 16-Oct-13 17:04:10

SouredsStones yes I know this happens but for every one of them there'll be others who are genuine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now