To be fucked off that parents not vaccinating their child is risking my childs life?

(348 Posts)
TheGlovesAreOrf Tue 15-Oct-13 20:51:04

I never judged them before. I never cared, if they chose not to vaccinate their child I always thought it was their choice and its not for me to have an opinion.
I never used to give it much more thought that that. I vaccinate mu children and what others do with theirs is none of my business.

Until I have a child who's immune system is often (but not always, steroid use) compramised. He is more likely to pick up bugs, and not deal with them very well.

He is also allergic to many things. I know tha egg allergy isnt usually an issue, but the MMR is cultivated on egg albumin. He is allergic to egg (anaphylactic) chicken meat, and feathers. The whole caboodle. Im pretty sure his tiny body wont like egg albumin either.

He's due to have this vaccine very very soon in hospital and Im absolutely shitting myself. Every time I remember it my stomach drops and my heart races.

Im genuinely thinking, what if he dies?

I cant get the vaccines done individually because the private clinics wont touch me with a barge pole.

I cant risk leaving it (Ive left it 18 months so far) because the area I live in has a very low MMR rate.

And that really, really angers me. Probably irrationally so.

I should be able to leave it. My son should be protected by societies use of the MMR.

Instead I either have to risk him getting an illness, or risk giving him this injection.

As if he hasnt been enough already.

I know IABU, but I just feel very resentful and angry towards those who choose not to vaccine right now.

More than prepared to be flamed for this.

quoteunquote Tue 15-Oct-13 21:10:15

YANBU OP, herd immunity is so important,

and all those who don't would soon change their tune if their child might die because of unnecessary infection.

candycoatedwaterdrops Tue 15-Oct-13 21:10:31

I don't think YANBU for feeling that way but this will kick off big time, with the same few posters going round and round in circles. I can already reel a few names off in my head who I know who will be here soon.

TheGlovesAreOrf Tue 15-Oct-13 21:10:44

Tbh its not his egg allergy that worries me.

Its the fact that he is allergic to every part of the chicken that is available to us. Im making an assumption I know, but Im pretty sure his immune system wont be happy with egg albumin either.

Notmadeofrib Tue 15-Oct-13 21:11:12

My DD also very allergic to egg (epi pen) and MMR was fine.

And YANBU

2tiredtocare Tue 15-Oct-13 21:12:11

I can understand why you are scared but measles would be much worse and have an even longer recovery time IYSWIM

peppersquint Tue 15-Oct-13 21:12:19

You may be risking my child by not vaccinating yours - surely it's a two-way thing or is your DC more important than another's DC?

SunshineMMum Tue 15-Oct-13 21:13:37

I am pretty cheesed off that within two weeks of the MMR, my son lost most of his language, his expression and his non verbal communication. I also pretty peeved that during this time he has suffered excruciating bowel spasms, has since been hospitalised three times, has on going bowel problems, requires daily medication and yet the paediatrician washed his hands and refused to investigate, whilst his registrar said we need to get to the bottom o this.

I am saddened that he suffers ezema and asthma as I feel this relates to a compromised immune system. I am equally fed up that it took three different assessments (one private) to diagnose his autism and yet the medical profession refuse to acknowledge and link between diet, immunisation and the behavioural traits of autism.

ICameOnTheJitney Tue 15-Oct-13 21:14:31

OP are you certain that you won't be able to find a private practice willing to do it seperately?

FlapJackOLantern Tue 15-Oct-13 21:15:04

The same America where children get gunned down in schools that now have to have security guards. A country that thinks its citizens should have personal freedom to bear arms but not to opt out of vaccinations.

That the most ridiculous analogy I've ever heard PrimalLass !

Bahhhhhumbug Tue 15-Oct-13 21:16:04

I am with you OP , my DGD has CF and so any of these preventable childhood diseases could seriously harm her long term already compromised health. Her having the vaccinations otoh isn't ideal either so l know exactly what you mean and it would be good if she didn't have to risk either.

Blissx Tue 15-Oct-13 21:17:52

You have absolutely every right to feel like this, but you are also right to appreciate that people have the right to choose. And I say this as someone who lost my then 36 year old brother in 2001 to measles shortly after the Andrew Wakefield articles. He was working as a TA in a primary school and after tests were carried out, the carrier was a child who was having the separate vaccines but as there is such a long wait between them, was still able to pass on the disease. No GP my brother visited had ever seen the disease and failed to diagnose quickly enough. After the initial anger period, I realised it wasn't the parents' fault and they could not have known this would happen. I'm sorry your little one is so vulnerable, but you may just have to put this one out of your mind.

CocktailQueen Tue 15-Oct-13 21:18:03

Yabu to expect other people to immunise their dc to protect yours. Everyone has the right to make up their own minds, whether or not there are extenuating health issues.

Why can't you have the single jabs, op?

I'm sorry you're so worried.

I'm old enough to have had mumps and measles as a child as there wasn't vaccination - the risk of complications is pretty low surely confused

I'm not anti vaccination though - separate issue.

CocktailQueen Tue 15-Oct-13 21:19:09

Blissx, I am so sorry for your loss sad

TheGlovesAreOrf Tue 15-Oct-13 21:19:22

Icame not so far. There is one I havent tried and Im sitting on my hands. Do I want to risk doing it in a building which is basically a home, not in a hosiptal?
They wont vaccinate against mumps, because the individual vaccine of mumps no longer exists.

Mumps is on the rise, which is usually not too horrendous, but his body doesnt cope with illness well and he uses steroids in the winter, when illness is mostly around.

Weighing up the pros and cons, Ive leant towards just giving him the whole lot, under hospital guidance.

And for who mentioned it, yes of course measles would be worse. Which is why we (I) have decided for the vaccine rather than leave it.

From what Ive heard, its not a case of if he gets measles but when.

peggyundercrackers Tue 15-Oct-13 21:19:55

YANBU to worry about your child however YABU to think everyone else should do it no matter what. I also don't believe parents should be FORCED to give any vaccine to child or adult for that matter - its my body I say what goes into it - if the medical profession were more honest about what they do/don't know I might feel differently but they are a bunch of lying fucks who don't care about anyone and think they are gods. fuck them!

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 15-Oct-13 21:20:19

Yanbu.

People like your son rely on herd immunity.

josephinebruce Tue 15-Oct-13 21:20:24

You are NBU. There will always be children, like yours, who at high risk and it is selfish and irresponsible for other parents to choose not to vaccinate their children. The reason why mumps, measles and rubella are not the killers they used to be is because of vaccination. Though, even now mumps can cause lasting fertility problems in boys who are exposed to it.

neunundneunzigluftballons Tue 15-Oct-13 21:20:44

YANBU there are risks with vaccination but they pale into insignificance when compared to the illnesses themselves in the majority of cases. Then there is the whole issue of herd immunity. IMO it is flawed risk perception not to vaccinate a child for most of the diseases on the vaccination scheme.

bigbrick Tue 15-Oct-13 21:21:24

yanbu

TheGlovesAreOrf Tue 15-Oct-13 21:21:25

The risk of mumps and measles is low laurie?

elskovs Tue 15-Oct-13 21:22:29

That sounds so scary.

I don't understand why you have to vaccinate though? Cant you risk the infection the same as the others who choose not to vaccinate? Obviously not something to be taken lightly, but you have a good reason.

BrokenSunglasses Tue 15-Oct-13 21:23:10

sad for you.

YANBU to feel the way you do considering what you have been through.

I am very much against parents being forced to vaccinate their children, but I do think you have to have some sort of compromise with the rest of society.

If parents feel very strongly against vaccinating their children, and refuse to allow them to have any vaccinations for some reason, then I can understand that. What I don't understand is parents that don't think twice about the baby vaccinations, but then refuse to vaccinate their children against measles, mumps and rubella when there are alternatives to the MMR if they don't want to give that.

The only thing I would say is that probably, the low take up of the MMR in your area does not actually reflect how many children are unvaccinated against those illnesses. The GP surgery in our area does not have the ability to record the number of children that have single vaccines, the option just doesn't exist on their computers systems. Children either have MMR, or they are unvaccinated as far as the NHS is concerned, which is ridiculous considering how many clinics have made a fortune offering singles.

FreyaFridays Tue 15-Oct-13 21:26:41

The people asking why the OP can't just risk her child getting the illnesses anyway, instead of vaccinating... she's said quite clearly that he's got a compromised immune system, therefore it would be a serious risk to allow him to become infected.

The people saying that measles, mumps, etc, aren't risky illnesses... we vaccinate against them in the first place FOR A REASON. They are deadly diseases. We didn't develop a vaccine against them just for funs.

TheGlovesAreOrf Tue 15-Oct-13 21:27:39

I dont understand why he cant be vaccinated though?

Because the MMR rate in my area is low, because he is often on steroids, because measles can be deadly to those who havent got an immune system dampened by steroids, let a lone a tiny child who has.

I watched my baby brother nearly die from chicken pox because he was on the exact same steroids as my son, for the exact same reasons as my son.

He is getting the chicken pox vaccine first. I think. Hopefully. Maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now