To hate these expressions

(152 Posts)
AlexaChelsea Tue 15-Oct-13 17:36:12

How's you?

Good eats

NO

Caitlin17 Fri 18-Oct-13 23:14:02

I hate" pre-order" for a book or a CD. It's meaningless. You have placed an order, which will be completed when the goods are published/released.

daisychain01 Fri 18-Oct-13 22:52:02

"On the same page" or "singing from the same hymn sheet" - stabby angry
"Synergy savings". Yeah, right, redundancies in other words -say what you mean, not bollocks
"Time I wasn't here" yup, too right, let me show you to the door

TrueStory Fri 18-Oct-13 21:17:40

Journey! Yes and Rollercoaster of Emotions!

TrueStory Fri 18-Oct-13 21:15:35

"Very" unique. I mean it is either unique or it isnt. Even educated people say this, usually when trying to sell you something. I think the word they are looking for is "unusual" by the way. I think this deserves a thread of its own.

roseblanche Fri 18-Oct-13 21:14:33

'I am hitting it out of the park' WTF is that all about?

summerlovingliz Fri 18-Oct-13 21:05:45

I hate 'getting on board' with reference to understanding or going along with something.. Oh and th whole hash tag thing on fb!

Guiltismymaster Fri 18-Oct-13 20:41:27

Being 'out of one's comfort zone'.

birdmomma Fri 18-Oct-13 20:40:31

Ha AngryBeaver, I was just about to say the same thing. Stay away from New Zealand ... the language is pretty much made up from every expression listed here. Awesome!Or as my 13 year old now says (constantly) "Awesomeness"

Tinuviel Fri 18-Oct-13 20:37:39

"I'm good" - hate that - if you are well, I am pleased to hear it; I'll form my own opinion on whether you are good or not!

VulvaVoom Fri 18-Oct-13 20:31:18

I hate it when people say 'I turned around and said to him/her .....' Did you actually turn around? Really? Or did you just say something like normal people do?

Oh the 'sorry to keep you waiting' thing bugs the hell out of me. I always say 'why? it's not your fault you have customers' (not in a belligerent way of course, cos I am nice) grin

It obviously shows the training is shite (not the staff) because they should be told to thank their customers for waiting.

ohmymimi Fri 18-Oct-13 20:23:40

Someone's already posted 'hashtag' no doubt. Who puts that in sentence, for pete's sake! And when did it become hash? The sign is a crosshatch. Ruddy Twitter.

dementedma Fri 18-Oct-13 20:21:36

Can I get is standard usage in Scotland. Always has been.
So there.
Personally I hate How's you
I'm good
Pre-warned
and the way my Scottish colleagues pronounce December as Dizember.......aaaargh!

samu2 Fri 18-Oct-13 20:20:06

My GP receptionist says 'I have made an appointment for your good self'

Annoying.

ohmymimi Fri 18-Oct-13 20:14:59

Cohort - I first heard Toady Young use it in its now most common usage, in relation to year groups in his free school. I just see Russell Crowe (Unleash hell!) x480 when hear it, not a group of spotty teenagers.

AmIthatHot Fri 18-Oct-13 20:05:37

Along with the journey comes the "rollercoaster of emotions" angry

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Fri 18-Oct-13 20:01:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

roseblanche Fri 18-Oct-13 19:59:20

and why oh why is everyone on a 'journey' ? Did they all remember to pack sandwiches for the 'journey' ?. E.g X Factor to voted out loser 'let's have a look at your journey' I always expect to see a number 9 bus appear...makes me very cross.com grin

moanalot Fri 18-Oct-13 19:15:48

When someone is asked "how are you" and they reply "yes I'm good" or "yes I'm fine thanks". What's the "yes" for. The word doesn't apply to the question. The answer should be "I'm fine thanks". Just leave out the "yes".

Thants Fri 18-Oct-13 18:21:20

People who write 'nom nom nom' to describe nice food.
Adding .com to things like bored.com, it doesn't make sense, why?

WineIsMyMainVice Fri 18-Oct-13 18:06:08

Peeps.

HATE IT!!!

mersea208 Fri 18-Oct-13 17:05:29

My worst is "team" when it has no reference to sport. As in "phone a member of our team for information". No, it should be "staff". Please.

DuckToWater Fri 18-Oct-13 14:49:05

YA All B U anyway as it should be "May I have?"

I quite like "Can I get?" though and "I'm good, thanks." Also "no worries."

Also "me time" is conveniently descriptive.

I don't like "Hun" though.

mortuusUrsus Fri 18-Oct-13 14:45:13

I can almost smell the rage hormones on this thread.

No worries though guys smile

<runs for the hills>

colafrosties Fri 18-Oct-13 14:41:28

If I worked in a coffee shop and a customer said 'Can I get a cappuccino?' I would say 'No you can't. I work here, I know how to work the machine, I'll get it for you.'

Wonder how long I'd keep my job? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now