To hate these expressions

(152 Posts)
AlexaChelsea Tue 15-Oct-13 17:36:12

How's you?

Good eats

NO

KCumberSandwich Wed 16-Oct-13 12:14:55

One that makes my teeth curl is when people say "Tesco's, Asda's, Lidl's" instead of just Tesco etc.

Also, cannot stand it when people call their laptop a "lappy", gross!

Bettercallsaul1 Wed 16-Oct-13 12:17:44

I hate when people "have feelings " for each other. The first time I heard it, I waited with interest to hear what these feelings were.

Fenton Wed 16-Oct-13 12:20:23

This will probably out me as I have never heard another living soul use the expression:-

'He's only bruised his nappy' - meaning that he's not done an actual poo, just left a skidmark.

It's not my expression, it's my sister's.

She's WEIRD.

Still18atheart Wed 16-Oct-13 12:22:30

I'll be with you in just a tick.

How long is a tick?

Secondly presuming it 's less than a 2 minutes,it's always much longer than that.

Caramelbutthorn Wed 16-Oct-13 12:23:17

I hate the word 'kids'.

Kids are baby goats sad

ohmymimi Wed 16-Oct-13 12:26:30

Ah, bless, my bad as it's all good, well good, deffo. An' it's almost wine o'clock, the tiddlies are all snuggly, buggly asleepybyes, so I'm off for some me time before my other half gets in. Scrummy eats for din dins tonight, spag bol - nom nom. Whoo hoo, Hubby's beamer's just pulled into the drive- I luvs my Boo.

Caramelbutthorn Wed 16-Oct-13 12:38:25

What about when someone dies we say "I'm sorry for your loss" etc. We didn't lose dad, he's in his office where he always was, waiting to be spread somewhere.

musicismylife Wed 16-Oct-13 12:40:07

ohmymimi that made me PMSL grin

Caramelbutthorn Wed 16-Oct-13 12:41:15

Hang on a minute - hang on to what??

whatsonyourplate Wed 16-Oct-13 12:53:38

'What's not too like?' grrrr....

whatsonyourplate Wed 16-Oct-13 12:54:40

well typing too instead of to obviously...

curlew Wed 16-Oct-13 12:59:59

I hate "pamper". Particularly when it usually just means a woman having a bath.

ohmymimi Wed 16-Oct-13 13:47:16

Music -Ta muchly Babe.

Trinpy Wed 16-Oct-13 14:00:03

my dh always says 'how are we?' to my parents rather than 'how are you?'. Makes me cringe every time. I have asked him nicely to stop but he insists it is seen as funny and cute where he comes from. Thing is 1) He doesn't live there anymore and 2) then why doesn't he say it to his friends/family?!

If we ever get divorced it will be because of that one phrase.

Being from Essex I do call people "Babe" a lot. It annoys me but it's so bloody catching.

I used to work on a help-line, sometimes taking death notification calls. I had to follow a script and say "I'm so sorry for your loss". It drove me mad. Especially when you've just taken 10 death calls in a row. I felt really disingenuous, but I had to follow the script.

Oooh and to the person who mentioned "cheer up love, it might never happen", someone said that to me once when I'd just been made redundant from a job I loved....YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I should have said that...instead I think I just told him to fuck off.

One I hate is "Now then". Now? Then? Which is it???

UriGHOULer Wed 16-Oct-13 14:34:22

God yeah, "Me-Time". Indulgent fuckwittery. If you'd noticed, actually you spend 24 hours having "Me-Time" unless you're astrally projecting.

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Wed 16-Oct-13 15:09:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsShortfuse Wed 16-Oct-13 15:36:55

I hate 'grow up' because of the implicit smug assumption on the part of the people saying it they themselves are of course terribly mature.

horcruxmanzini Wed 16-Oct-13 16:59:45

That horrible phrase you only hear in advertising copy or lazy magazine writing - 'X just got Y'. As in 'Christmas just got glam' or 'Recycling just got sexy' or 'BB creams just got smarter'. It makes me want to yell 'has! has!' at the paper.

in the same vein, the creeping use of 'I love how..' or 'I hate how...' instead of 'I love the way that...' or 'I hate the way that...'

AlexaChelsea Wed 16-Oct-13 18:10:47

holibobs <vomit>

Chesntoots Wed 16-Oct-13 19:10:43

I hate when in a shop, queuing, when you get to the front and the cashier says "Sorry about your wait". I really want to to say to them "I'm not - I weigh about 10st. What's wrong with that?!"... Drives me mad...

colafrosties Fri 18-Oct-13 08:27:06

"He's my rock" - I always picture some long suffering husband stoically picking his drunken 'celeb' wife up from yet another night on the tiles

AngryBeaver Fri 18-Oct-13 08:36:15

Never come and live in and live in NZ!
"Hi guys!"
"I'm good!"
"Good job!"
And every.two.seconds. "AWSEOOOOOOME!"

Incredibly grating (or am I just a miserable Pom?!)

Feminine Fri 18-Oct-13 11:08:47

What a miserable lot some of you are.

horcruxmanzini Fri 18-Oct-13 12:01:01

yes, I will fully admit to being a miserable cow. When I hear myself say, 'Can I get a cappuccino?' in a coffee shop, instead of 'Can I have...?' I pull the sort of self-loathing cringe face that must make the barista think I've had an accident.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now