To hate the idea of Christmas Eve hampers?

(308 Posts)
leobear Tue 15-Oct-13 14:57:39

I know, I know.....Scrooge! But surely the magic of Christmas Eve is the simplicity of it, and the anticipation of what is to come. A hamper is really a big box of presents, and feels to me like overkill. But maybe I'm just a misery guts!

cory Wed 23-Oct-13 09:58:03

ShowOfBloodyStumps Wed 16-Oct-13 21:48:17
"Oh I love the delicious irony of people complaining that a Christmas Eve hamper is materialistic and confirming this by stating that it detracts from the magic of the presents on Christmas Day. "

This.

I can't for the life of me see that it matters if you have a Christmas hamper or a stocking or a Santa who knocks on the door or a Santa who comes down the chimney or whether you leave carrots out for the reindeer or whisky for Santa: the whole point is that families are playing and having fun together- exactly how they do it doesn't matter.

Twilightsparklesmama Wed 23-Oct-13 07:42:42

I only started doing the Xmas eve hamper last year after reading about it on here! I put Xmas pjs sweets a DVD a book and reindeer food. I love it we all watched the DVD (which was Arthur Christmas and will be going back in this years as we haven't watched it since) ate the sweets. We then bathed the kids put the new pjs on put out Santas mince pie and the reindeer food on the path and had the book for bedtime story. Magical

OhMerGerd Tue 22-Oct-13 23:54:04

My dad's side is from a country where you do the Christmas eve thing but we just do the gathering of the clan, special shared meal and midnight mass bit, no pressies, as Santa brings them all. I LOVE IT as do the DC who can't sleep unless a) they've smelled the Christmas ham cooking ( always cooked on Christmas Eve evening ready for Boxing Day), b) hung up their stockings by the fire place with carrot, water sherry and mince pie, c) rolled their eyes at me reciting 'twas the night before Christmas and all through the house...' am dram style d) been issued with their 7.30 waitrose shopping list ( I turned being unprepared and panicked into a fun Christmas eve tradition 1 does veg/fruit 2 does turkey & meat 3 does dairy & sweets 4 does staples and household we all meet at wines and spirits). Yee ha bring it on!
Hampers no . PJs and slippers are pressies to be opened on Christmas Day .
DC are 23 and 16. Santa never misses this house which means they must be very good girls!

ravenAK Tue 22-Oct-13 23:35:25

Oh dear.

We get the Box of Xmas Pyjamas out of the loftspace first weekend in December - it's with the tree stand, decorations etc.

Xmas pyjamas are then permitted until Twelfth Night (new ones all round Xmas Eve).

I never actually intended this - we just started with the cute Xmas Eve new pyjama thing when ds was a baby, & then what do you do with reindeer-printed flannel pyjamas once Xmas is over? Box them up & put away with the rest of the Xmas stuff, I decided.

Three dc later, they end up with about 5 pairs each at the start of every December.

So there's no bloody way I'm adding hot choc mugs & dvds into the mix...

Emie3 Tue 22-Oct-13 23:25:46

I Must Also Be A Scrooge Me And My Partner Can't Agree On The Pj's On Christmas Eve..I Dont See Why People Do This... Santa Comes On Christmas Eve When Kids Are In Bed So I Think Christmas Eve Presents Are Taking That Magic Away And people Dont Get Presents The Night Before Their Birthday... I do Celebrate Christmas Eve See The Family Then Watch Movies And Have Snacks Then I Will Be Putting Carrots, Mince Pies And Milk Etc Out For Santa And The Reindeers Before My LO Goes To Bed (Her First Christmas This Year) But I Think She Should Get All Her Presents Xmas Day When Santa Comes... Do I Sound Bad? X

TheGhostofAmandaClarke Thu 17-Oct-13 09:43:45

showofbloodystumps your name is making me feel a bit queasy. But your post was excellent.

Hi Zing <waves and offers cake>

Mooycow Thu 17-Oct-13 09:10:32

Ihave done new pj's on christmas eve since the kids were little , (ever since i got back the pictures of them in old pj's one year)
i wrapped them and when they asked can we open a present it was always pj's.
They are 19 and 23 now still do it ,onesies last year.
xmas eve - prepare all veg
midnight mass
open new pj's
mulled wine and either santa clause the movie or the grinch sometimes we sneak in muppets christmas carol

thegreylady Thu 17-Oct-13 08:54:44

One rule we had when dc were teens was that no one was allowed to go out in the evening on Christmas Eve. It was my own family's rule too. No parent wants to be anxious about anyone's whereabouts especially on that night. Everyone had to be home for dinner then it was family time until Boxing Day.
I was a bit worried that my step children would be awkward and dsd was. She insisted on partying etc on CE but her brothers loved the sense of "battening down the hatches" and being together.

ZingDollyChops Thu 17-Oct-13 08:47:06

I'm Hungarian, (English DH) and though everything else is English tradition we celebrate Christmas Eve as you'd do in Hungary by eating a special meal and dessert that I make followed by the children being allowed to open one present from us.
It's really nice to have a "Secret Christmas"!wink

I nevet had a Christmas Eve Hamper.
I wouldn't mind one.

thegreylady Thu 17-Oct-13 08:43:07

I always did new pj's on Christmas Eve as my mother did in the 40's. I still do for dgc and my dd who is nearly 40! I also have special stories for bedtime on CE but I bring them out every year if we have dgc staying. The big favourite is still Raymond Briggs' Father Christmas. I also have a lovely paper sculpture book of The Night Before Christmas which is much loved.

MadeOfStarDust Thu 17-Oct-13 08:33:12

ours are 11 and 12.... so no more 6am wake ups.... nice.... but we don't do Xmas eve stuff.... I'm working...

our Christmas film tradition is Home Alone because everyone here likes the slapstick and Christmassy feeling... and we always cry at the old man's story...

swlondonnanny Wed 16-Oct-13 23:22:07

Where I come from we celebrate Christmas Eve. And get all presents on christmas eve and go to Midnight Mass afterwards. No presents on Christmas day. And we all get a good lie in on Christmas day as well grin

Rubybrazilianwax Wed 16-Oct-13 23:21:56

nsisaddict I never get to photograph present opening either. I usually am staggering around with a bin bag screaming advising 'don't loose the instructions', wading knee deep through wrapping paper and opening numerous packets of batteries

Rubybrazilianwax Wed 16-Oct-13 23:14:01

prettyplease you would die in our house as we generally have selection boxes for breakfast around 5am blush

Rubybrazilianwax Wed 16-Oct-13 23:11:47

The only reason I make a big deal out of wrapping pj's & packet of reindeer food is that it fools my dc into thinking bedtime is a good idea on Christmas Eve. My dc generally have us up at 4am so I like to get them to bed as early as possible as dh and I are usually assembling toys till 2am.
I have to say I do love reading how different people celebrate Christmas though, no two houses sound the same.

I enjoyed it, short and sweet. Also love Father Christmas smile

WhoKnowsWhereTheBonnetsGo Wed 16-Oct-13 22:08:49

We recorded the Snowdog, it' still on our Sky+, haven't got round to watching it yet.

ChristmasPixie123 neither did I grin

ringaringarosy my eldest is terrified of NBC! I love it as well sad the Snowman is a must watch, loved the Snowdog last year too

ringaringarosy Wed 16-Oct-13 21:53:58

we watch nightmare before christmas and the snowman,we also watch national lampoon,the kids actually like that!

ChristmasPixie123 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:52:53

I always use to get new PJs on xmas eve with some posh new bubble bath and a DVD to watch so I have continued this tradition with my own DD. I didn't know it was considered a "christmas eve hamper" though. hmm

WhoKnowsWhereTheBonnetsGo Wed 16-Oct-13 21:50:12

Ragwort - I'm exactly the same, there isn't a single children's film that I can sit through without getting bored. Luckily the DCs are the same and hardly ever want to watch films.

Rufus44 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:49:18

Love the Christmas movies, we watch elf, miracle on 34th street ( old and new version) the grinch, the Santa clause, nightmare before Christmas, Scrooges, muppet Christmas carol, its a wonderful life, Arthur Christmas, mickeys twice upon a Christmas and loads more

Except polar express, for some reason the children hate it

And I know there are no capital letters in that list...I will ask for some for Christmas

Oh I love the delicious irony of people complaining that a Christmas Eve hamper is materialistic and confirming this by stating that it detracts from the magic of the presents on Christmas Day. Well yes, if to you Christmas is all about the presents on the day. To me, presents are a very tiny, token gesture on the day and because they're not really the focus at all, we do things like the Christmas Eve hamper.

We have a £5 present limit for everybody. We're anything but materialistic actually. But yes we do a hamper on Christmas Eve. It isn't about presents at all. The letter from FC I make myself, the bath salts are mixed up from ones I have, wrapped in tissue paper from the cupboard, the marshmallows are from the baking cupboard, the hot chocolate from the tin next to the tea and coffee. The only 'bought' thing is a book (charity shop) and sometimes some pyjamas. It is bog all to do with giving stuff to greedy and grasping little children. It's about creating anticipation and beginning the festive period. It creates the opportunity for cosy baths and family DVDs on the sofa. It marks out our Christmas as the beginning of something special. It's celebration and joy and pleasure in just being together on a day full of anticipation. The mundane bath is special for that one day, so is the bedtime drink and story. It marks it out as special and if my dc are anything like me, this is the shit they'll look back on and adore. For me, it was never about the stuff. It was a celebration of us being together and embarking on the beginning of a special few days.

It's very rude to ascribe meaning to other people's traditions (and yes it's been going on for years, at least a hundred in this family) just because you do things differently.

I enjoy it, we only watch it once a year, it's a special cuddle time with two very excited children who love the movie - obviously I'd rather watch something of mine but its Christmas Eve, I'll let them watch what they want smile

Ragwort Wed 16-Oct-13 21:36:19

Do adults really enjoy watching Polar Express, Christmas films etc etc? I have clearly failed on this parenting level, nothing bores me more than having to sit through a childrens' film.

One year when I was much younger we had to wait until Boxing Day for our presents, due to various family visits etc etc. We survived, it's not all about the presents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now