To not want my bridesmaid to get a cut & colour 2 1/2 hours before my wedding?

(142 Posts)
Famzilla Mon 14-Oct-13 19:33:58

Getting married on Friday, low key registry office do with lunch & a boozy evening afterwards. Only 5 people attending the ceremony including DP and I.

My bridesmaid is my dear best friend, (let's call her Kerry) she is the kindest person you could ever wish to meet. She has done so much for me and I love her. However, she's a bit of an airhead bless her.

She was supposed to get a cut & colour on Saturday but our other friend the hairdresser cancelled. Our friend the hairdresser (let's call her Ann) said don't worry, I'll do it when I come round to do Famzillas hair on Friday morning. Kerry says that's fine.

I have a 6mo Velcro baby, who Kerry obviously knows and knows how un-putdownable she is. I was relying on Kerry to give me a hand with DD whilst I did my own make up and Ann put my hair up. But obviously now Kerry needs Ann to give her a cut & colour when she comes at 9.

She has it all planned out in her head and it sounds doable if DD didn't exist. But she does so I feel like I will be literally holding the baby for the entire morning desperately waiting for her to hurry up. We have to leave at 11.20 and as well as doing my own make up, getting my hair done and getting into dress etc.. DD will need her breakfast, a BF, a bath and then getting into her own outfit.

I would never let DD CIO. I am so stressed, this was supposed to be low key and easy but now I feel like a massive bridezilla. I keep saying I don't think it's gonna work and she keeps reassuring me that it'll be fine.

Am I being a bridezilla?

TheGhostofAmandaClarke Fri 18-Oct-13 06:08:30

Oh, and put that fag down.
You deserve not to have one.

Morning Famzilla! Hope you have had a good rest. Have a super day wine thanks

Strumpetron Fri 18-Oct-13 08:31:10

Thank Christ I know my friend isn't going to treat me like a skivvy and whinge about me for having my hair done on her wedding day!

YABU. Yes a bridesmaid is there to support but she isn't a child minder and she has to get ready too. I think it's a bit hmm the way you've spoken about her on here. Surely you should have arranged child care so you and your bridesmaid could have enjoyed the day together?

pixiepotter Fri 18-Oct-13 08:49:15

A bridesmaid is an honorary title, it doesn't mean she is your actual maid!!

JerseySpud Fri 18-Oct-13 09:04:09

Whatever happened with your DM and the wedding in the end OP?

Suddengeekgirl Fri 18-Oct-13 09:10:11

Have a wonderful day! grin thanks wine

JerseySpud Fri 18-Oct-13 09:17:26

Oh and have a wonderful wedding day x

Pogosticks Fri 18-Oct-13 10:57:58

wine Happy Wedding Day Famzilla! wine

BeScarefulWhatYouWitchFor Fri 18-Oct-13 11:01:30

It's not just about the bm having her hair done on the day. It's about her having it cut and coloured, which will take time, when they have to leave the house at 11.20am, when the OP needs her help and support on the day.

BeScarefulWhatYouWitchFor Fri 18-Oct-13 11:02:13

Oops, meant to add...

Have a lovely day thanks

SnakeyMcBadass Fri 18-Oct-13 11:25:02

Have a lovely day OP thanks

VomitingVeronica Fri 18-Oct-13 11:50:11

Good lord there are some grumpy mumsnet terms out there! Honestly op, yanbu at all. Cut and colour else where and not when you need your bridesmaid to help you.

I have had a couple of gerdlings / needy babies, and you haven't made any mistakes in your parenting, you have done bloody well to make it so your lo is happy in the sling, it's better than screaming all the time regardless (though I'm sure you have has that too). Mine have both had long pleased when nothing makes then happy, it's hell, but it does get so much better when they want to crawl and explore. Reflux is horrendous, especially when you see all your mum friends feeding their happy little perfect latching babies while managing to have a conversation and cup of tea then tell you about what boxier they are watching while bfing, as if it is quiet enough to watch tv while feeding a refluxer! I'm so glad that there are so many perfect mothers our there though, please enjoy your easy babies and hope you never have to go through reflux and everything it comes with.

One other thing, if posters are going to go on about how nasty an op is for posting on aibu about their friend, how they are so mean putting it all on a public forum and how much they hate it and would never want a friend who would do that, well, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T READ AIBU!! It's what the whole area is about! Honestly!

Ahhh that felt good!

Have a great day op.

VomitingVeronica Fri 18-Oct-13 11:52:12

Oh pants.

Mumsnet term = mumsnetter
Boxier = boxset

Hope it's a lovely day OP!

noddingoff Fri 18-Oct-13 12:01:48

Hi Famzilla have just seen this thread and no doubt you will be walking into the registry office about now. I hope you and your imminent-DH are having a great day. I think it a bit odd that on the actual morning of your actual wedding, somebody is still accusing you of whinging and lecturing you about what you should have done about organising childcare. Ah well hopefully you were enjoying a nice glass of breakfast Bucks Fizz and chatting with your dearest friend- hair already sensibly cut n coloured at a sensible time like the day before- not looking at MN this morning.
Really hope that you didn't try doing your wedding makeup with the baby in a forward facing sling, expecting her to be "fascinated by the mirror" for three quarters of an hour, instead of doing what any normal baby would do (grab your mascara wand and start poking it in your eye).
Anyway congratulations on your wedding.

TheGhostofAmandaClarke Fri 18-Oct-13 13:13:31

Oh Happy Wedding day Famzilla

WineIsMyMainVice Fri 18-Oct-13 17:32:09

Yanbu.
You should talk to them both again and explain you want it to be as stress free as possible. It's your day and they should respect that.
Anyway when you've had a colour it looks far better when you've washed it once!
Have an amazing day and enjoy it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now