Cath, Catherine, Cathy

(63 Posts)
Caff2 Sun 13-Oct-13 23:24:17

Which would you prefer? Light hearted, I've been living with all three for years!

1944girl Mon 14-Oct-13 19:17:41

I have never been called Kat. I would bite the head off anyone who does for the sole reason it reminds me of Kat Slater/Moon.Sorry but I dislike this EE character.

MalcolmTuckersMistress Mon 14-Oct-13 18:45:06

Catherine...fine. Cathy...no thanks. Cat...if you must. Cath...fair enough.

But what irks me the most is when it becomes Kate or Kath. NO K thanks you fuckers!

TattyCatty Mon 14-Oct-13 18:41:38

Have always been Catherine - I won't answer to Cath or Cathy! The only exception is when I have lived and worked in France, and I was known as Catty (French pronunciation of Cathy), which I didn't mind but didn't exactly encourage.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 14-Oct-13 18:37:42

Catherine or Cathy.

I hate Cath or more specifically Kath. But that is because it was the name of someone I probably wouldn't spit on were she on fire rather than because it's a fundamentally awful in itself.

everlong Mon 14-Oct-13 18:33:12

Catherine <said in a Pam Ferris voice ala Gavin and Stacy >

I am not keen on Cath. Can't say it without conjuring Phil Mitchell.

NoisyBrain Mon 14-Oct-13 18:23:56

My family and long-term friends call me Kath and very occasionally my dad (and only him) calls me Kate. For about 20 years I've also been known as Kat since a good friend of mine started calling me it and I liked it (I'd never heard it before). Now, thanks to EastEnders I suspect, Kat/Cats are everywhere.

I am absolutely never Kathy, for me it's always sounded like a name for someone far more grown up and sensible than I am! However when I learnt to drive my instructor for some reason called me Kathy from day one. I was too polite to correct him and as he was such a nice guy I let him continue grin

violeta Mon 14-Oct-13 17:58:23

Have been Cath since my teens. I use it for everybody, except in a formal context when I become Catherine again! Cathy I hate. Sets my teeth on edge. smile

wtf1981 Mon 14-Oct-13 17:19:32

Catherine here. Cat by close friends and family. Never, ever Cath or Cathy!!!

GoldenGytha Mon 14-Oct-13 17:18:16

I'd probably call you Catherine,

Although I do like Cate/Kate.

I know a 20 year old Cathy, a 21 year old Katherine and a 13 year old Kate.

Lol AnotherWorld, my brother used to call me Faffy grin

I'm Cat, never anything else even Catherine!

Minty82 Mon 14-Oct-13 17:09:08

Sorry Backforgood! I just only know Cathys my mum's age!

AnotherWorld Mon 14-Oct-13 16:37:24

Go with Cat

And let your big sisters call you Faffy

[Blows kisses at little sister Faffy who I'm certain will visit this thread]

geminigirl Mon 14-Oct-13 16:34:56

Cat, Kitty or Kate.

Lovecat Mon 14-Oct-13 16:28:37

Catherine and David were the Chloe and Jack of the mid-late Sixties.

Everybody I know has an elder brother called David, and at least twelve of us in our year that I know were called Catherine.

I've just remembered, some creepy bloke where I had my first job decided he was going to call me Cate, because it was ' so me' - no it f-ing wasn't and his presumption has put me off what is a fairly acceptable shortening of it ever since.

BlingBang Mon 14-Oct-13 16:24:23

Cathy

trinitybleu Mon 14-Oct-13 16:22:11

I'm a Catherine but only ever called Katy (which I changed to Katie aged 11)

I have a friend called Cath and it never clicks that she's really a Catherine. To me it's a whole new name.

BackforGood Mon 14-Oct-13 14:41:08

shock at Minty.
When I was at school, there were LOADS of Cathys.... and I've not even hit 50 yet, let alone 60 !

SaggyIsHavingAPinkKitten Mon 14-Oct-13 12:34:32

DD is a Catherine. She has always been Catey or Cate. Im a Catherine and would love Cat, sadly I am called by my middle name it is horrible.
DGM was a Catherine, she got called Irene.
DGGA Was a Catherine, she was a Cathy.
Personally I love the hard 'T' names rather than the 'th' options but then I also come from Essex so its always 'ff' for 'th' round here. sad

FruitbatAuntie Mon 14-Oct-13 12:08:35

'Katherine, very occasionally Kat to close friends. Kath or Kathy are unacceptable'

Same here! I was also Katie to my mum when I was little, and was a Kate to my friends as a teenager, so I go by Katherine, Katie (mum and friends from primary school), Kate (secondary school friends), and Kat (friends from age 20 onwards). Never ever Kath or Kathy though. ever. Only new colleagues who I haven't yet advised how much I hate it. Apologies to any Kath/Kathys - I don't dislike the name per se, it just isn't ME at all!

KitCat26 Mon 14-Oct-13 11:58:49

I love the versatility of my name, so I don't mind any version.

Friends call me Cathy, DH calls me Catherine/Kitty/Kits and parents and family call me Catherine. Only my dad ever calls me Cath. Great gm used to call me Kate too.

I'm from Essex so sometimes the 'th' is replaced by an 'f' by my friends. I answer to it all. :-)

fledtoscotland Mon 14-Oct-13 10:31:56

I'm Kath & have been for 20+yrs. Kathy and Kate make me mad. Prefer Kathryn over Kathy or Kate

LadyRochford Mon 14-Oct-13 10:14:08

I like Cathy. Cath sounds a bit harsh when used as an every day name, although nice as an occasional affectionate shortening of Cathy.

I hate being called Cathy. Cath is ok and what I'm usually known by, but I much prefer Catherine.

The only people who use my proper name are old school friends.

Coupon Mon 14-Oct-13 09:50:40

Catherine, nickname Cath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now