to use the skyflyer solo service for my kids?

(58 Posts)
MajorieDawes Sun 13-Oct-13 22:31:22

Not really AIBU but really need honest opinions ASAP.

We live in NYC. My mum lives in London and has stage 4 breast cancer. Originally we were told she has 18-24 months. I came for a few days, planning to come back with kids in Christmas.

Just before I came a few days ago my Mum has suddenly started gone downhill so fast, it's scary. We don't think she's going to last more than a couple of weeks if that. She really wants to see the grandchildren (aged nearly 10 and nearly 7). They're in NYC right now. I was going to fly back and get them but my Mum has now said she would rather I didn't go as she wants me to stay. My husband can't bring them as his work is inflexible.

We were thinking of having them fly on a day flight with the BA skyflyer solo service. Flight is about 6.5 hours. DH will wait at airport in case of delays (it's the rule anyway). I will pick them up.

What do you think?

foreverondiet Mon 28-Oct-13 20:16:26

My kids are the same age (just turned 10 and 7), and I would think its ok, just make sure they have plenty to do on the journey. Would want to give them ipod/tablet to occupy them but I guess risk of losing it but probably a risk would have to take. I would rather send both together - think my 10 year old could cope better with her brother there than on her own but only you know your kids - he is much more independent than her.

everlong Mon 28-Oct-13 20:10:27

They will be absolutely fine.
I'm so sorry about your mum, such a sad time for you.
I hope she gets to spend some precious time with her grandchildren. Thinking of you x

trinity0097 Mon 28-Oct-13 20:03:53

They will be fine at that age. I first flew alone aged 4, admittedly an hour flight, but this was pre electronic devices to occupy children! They will be well looked after by the crew.

TheFuckersonInquiry Mon 28-Oct-13 19:41:01

Glad the flights worked out ok.

DreaduCated Mon 28-Oct-13 19:34:25

Glad to hear they enjoyed it. It must have been a great adventure, even with the sad reason for the trip. How are you?

See... This is why you should read to the end... blush

Coming from a family of Air hostesses - they will be fine! It will be an adventure and they will be very well cared for. I would do it with my kids if I needed to without a second thought. They'll get treated like VIPs!

Sorry to hear about your Mum though, all my thoughts are with you and her. thanks

MajorieDawes Mon 28-Oct-13 19:25:52

Just a big thank you for your reassurance. The kids did fly with skyflyer and LOVED every second. In fact they ended up flying back with them because BA wanted $2800 for dh's last minute ticket and he could go with another airline for half the price.

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 14-Oct-13 08:48:51

Sorry to hear about your mum.

I think it's a good thing that they have each other during the flight. Also long haul are better set up for kids to relax - films, cartoons, game station in the back of the seat, child menu etc rather than short haul where they'd be twiddling their thumbs and getting fidgety.

I've sat infront of kids flying solo on BA and they are treated like VIP's - they were getting all the extra treats and snacks from First Class.

pixiepotter Mon 14-Oct-13 08:25:05

I think it depends on how the children feel about it.

NadiaWadia Mon 14-Oct-13 03:33:18

Honestly, they'll be fine, I know you will be worrying, as I did myself, but statistically it has been proved planes are actually far safer than trains or cars. I also think it's good they'll be together for company.

So very sorry about your Mum and that this is happening to your family. You are a great daughter.

MajorieDawes Mon 14-Oct-13 03:18:57

I hope so. Just called BA in the US to book as I can't sleep. It just made me so sad changing our Christmas flights. I thought we'd all spend a lovely time with my Mum, all of us together, our last Christmas sad

I'll have an anxious few hours while they're flying (visions of planes crashing, getting lost somewhere in heathrow!) but my Mum so wants to see them while she's still functioning mentally and can communicate. I hope they look back when they're older and are glad that they had a chance to say goodbye.

NadiaWadia Mon 14-Oct-13 03:12:31

I have sent DD on a flight using this service. They do take excellent care of them, I am sure your DCs will be fine. I think you have made the right decision.

cafecito Mon 14-Oct-13 02:49:55

sorry to hear of the circumstances, but your DCs will definitely be fine flying to London

MajorieDawes Mon 14-Oct-13 02:40:20

Thank you all. We decided we're going to book them on the flight unaccompanied. I hope it's the right decision.

ljny Mon 14-Oct-13 02:32:24

My kids also frequently flew the New York/London route as unmins - the youngest from age 5.

We stayed with BA when they were young as BA has a tradition of caring for unmins. I notice the unmins nowadays when I fly BA, and they're still brilliant. I wouldn't worry at all. So sorry about your mum.

MidniteScribbler Mon 14-Oct-13 01:55:47

I'd do it. A direct flight with your husband dropping them at one end and you picking up at the other would be pretty low risk I think.

Alternatively, is there a close friend you would trust to bring your children over? A free flight to NYC in exchange for supervising them on the plane?

Want2bSupermum Mon 14-Oct-13 01:50:23

Sorry about your mum. I flew on that program as a child. It is brilliant. BA flew us back when my uncle was dying. My aunt put us on the plane and my Dad picked us up in Manchester.

I would suggest you go with BA. They were excellent with us as kids and really went the extra mile. We had a 6 hour lay over once and they put us in the lounge.

NatashaBee Mon 14-Oct-13 01:45:02

Not used SkyFlyer but DSD has flown regularly as a UM with various carriers and their processes seem absolutely watertight, I would have no concerns about it. Sorry about your mum sad

fuckwittery Mon 14-Oct-13 01:37:25

I flew to NY regularly alone from the age of 9. The skyflyer service was great even then, and they will be together. I would do it.

CoolStoryBro Mon 14-Oct-13 01:34:36

Admittedly, that reads a little random!!

CoolStoryBro Mon 14-Oct-13 01:33:46

I would send them in a heartbeat. They have each other. I just read this to my DH and he said to add that he is flying Wednesday day if he can help in any way.

Good luck and sorry about your Mum x

MistressDeeCee Mon 14-Oct-13 01:24:59

I used the service when my DCs were around the same age, after having to fly abroad for emergency and then wanting them to follow me out there the next week. I really, really was nervous. But they were absolutely fine, they werent the only children flying solo they have dedicated child friendly areas for them in airport (games room etc so my DCs were happy!) and on flight, and children flying solo are grouped together and not left unattended at any time..again, designated area. I was pleased with the service and my DCs enjoyed it

TidyDancer Sun 13-Oct-13 23:18:49

Yes in the circumstances I would absolutely do this.

I'm so sorry about what's happened. Thinking of you all. x

drinkyourmilk Sun 13-Oct-13 23:06:49

They will be fine on the plane.
Another option is to hire a nanny to bring them across. I've done it twice for families. I took a night time flight to the destination, waited for the children to arrive, then flew straight back with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now