Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To want a lady's maid

(33 Posts)
Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 22:09:43

Okay, I am a Downton addict, but I rather like the idea of having a lady's maid to help me get my spanx on, adjust my tiara etc. Obviously an Anna type rather than an O'brien. aibu?

Mimishimi Mon 14-Oct-13 03:06:44

Couldn't care less for a ladies maid but would love a housekeeper and a cook.

Bogeyface Mon 14-Oct-13 01:51:22

Oh and forget Downton, the best house staff are from Gosford Park.

Bogeyface Mon 14-Oct-13 01:49:11

*Actually I'd like a wife if I'm being honest.(

I have been saying for years that what I need is a 1950's wife!

EBearhug Mon 14-Oct-13 01:42:59

When I was about 7, we were taken to lunch at a big house. Afterwards, we had to go and thank Cook for the lovely meal. I have no memory of whether it actually was a lovely meal, just that they made me speak to some unknown adult, and all strangers were scary still are.

So I quite like the idea of staff you don't really have to talk to. Mind you, I expect it's a lot of effort, having to manage them, discussing the menus, pointing out a missed cobweb (current housemaid does think she might have to get the feather duster, actually.) You think it's going to make life easy, but it just brings a load more burdens.

I feel I shall collapse with the strain of it all. Please bring me the chaise longue.

thebody Sun 13-Oct-13 23:46:32

ah right the rhythm method got you.

I would settle for a cuppa in bed really. cheap me.

Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 23:42:39

back is a little bell sufficient? Could it be heard if the housekeeper happens to be in the east wing for example

Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 23:40:13

Laurie I think a lady's maid must have been in between, knowing intimate things, being in the bathroom to hand you the soap etc, whilst being quite sycophantic.

BackforGood Sun 13-Oct-13 23:32:20

I could manage the teaset - not so sure about the butler.
I would be prepared to go out and buy a little bell to ring.

I want servants like they were back then though

Not like people talk about their nannies/au pairs/ housekeepers on here - all that having to be over familiar stuff when you know when their period is hmm

Nope, benign indifference and totally ignoring they're there for me.

<not entirely serious>

Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 23:26:19

I think so back as long as she gets her own teaset, and a butler.

BackforGood Sun 13-Oct-13 23:23:26

I have a basement! Does that mean I could qualify for a housekeeper ?
Pretty please ?

FirstStopCafe Sun 13-Oct-13 23:14:29

I'd quite like to be able to ring a bell and have someone bring me tea and biscuits

Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 23:11:57

I think it is best to ask around for a maid, rather than advertising. Who knows who you might get.

Your loft doesn't sound ideal, do you have a cellar instead, or better still servant quarters? You will find it adjacent to the bachelors corridor.

We have a loft. Will she be ok pulling the ladder down every evening? She could roll her self up in that fluffy insulation stuff. If we advertise, do you think we will get many applicants?

Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 23:00:44

You can but dream breathes. Your housemaid will need an attic to sleep in though.

I want a housemaid/housekeeper. I'm not sure why, but yesterday I finally realised that we will never, ever have a housekeeper.

FriedSprout Sun 13-Oct-13 22:37:56

The book mentioned was by Marie Stopes, and I think was the first book of its kind that discussed the various forms of contraception available - to 'married couples only of course grin

Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 22:35:21

thebody they were referring to Marie Stopes book on married love, obviously you couldn't have sex without being married then, I think it talks about using the rhythm method of contraception.

sunshine definitely spanx

SunshineMMum Sun 13-Oct-13 22:27:02

Wonders if spanx or whalebones corsets are trickier? smile

thebody Sun 13-Oct-13 22:23:32

to be honest I would love Mrs Packmore to sort out my cooking.

Also tonight's episode, call me daft but what was that about the 'married love' thing? how was she using the book to get/ not get pregnant? was confused. also the housekeeper threatening to ripping off her clothes and holding her down seemed a bit ott!!!

Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 22:19:49

When we have a house party unsinkable you can of course share my maid, if you don't bring your own.

Not sure that I thought this through, but obviously if I have a lady's maid I would have a housekeeper, cook, house maid etc anyway.

TombOfMummyBeerest Sun 13-Oct-13 22:17:33

I'd love an Anna. Or a wife.

I told DH I hope we meet someone nice.

SunshineMMum Sun 13-Oct-13 22:16:16

grin me too, but if it is O'brien I'll sort my own soap if you don't mind!

EBearhug Sun 13-Oct-13 22:16:15

I would quite like a full household of staff, to be honest. Which would also mean I had a larger house.

Annunziata Sun 13-Oct-13 22:15:03

YANBU. Actually I'd like a wife if I'm being honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now