To want a lady's maid

(33 Posts)
Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 22:09:43

Okay, I am a Downton addict, but I rather like the idea of having a lady's maid to help me get my spanx on, adjust my tiara etc. Obviously an Anna type rather than an O'brien. aibu?

BackforGood Sun 13-Oct-13 23:32:20

I could manage the teaset - not so sure about the butler.
I would be prepared to go out and buy a little bell to ring.

Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 23:40:13

Laurie I think a lady's maid must have been in between, knowing intimate things, being in the bathroom to hand you the soap etc, whilst being quite sycophantic.

Mynameismina Sun 13-Oct-13 23:42:39

back is a little bell sufficient? Could it be heard if the housekeeper happens to be in the east wing for example

thebody Sun 13-Oct-13 23:46:32

ah right the rhythm method got you.

I would settle for a cuppa in bed really. cheap me.

EBearhug Mon 14-Oct-13 01:42:59

When I was about 7, we were taken to lunch at a big house. Afterwards, we had to go and thank Cook for the lovely meal. I have no memory of whether it actually was a lovely meal, just that they made me speak to some unknown adult, and all strangers were scary still are.

So I quite like the idea of staff you don't really have to talk to. Mind you, I expect it's a lot of effort, having to manage them, discussing the menus, pointing out a missed cobweb (current housemaid does think she might have to get the feather duster, actually.) You think it's going to make life easy, but it just brings a load more burdens.

I feel I shall collapse with the strain of it all. Please bring me the chaise longue.

Bogeyface Mon 14-Oct-13 01:49:11

*Actually I'd like a wife if I'm being honest.(

I have been saying for years that what I need is a 1950's wife!

Bogeyface Mon 14-Oct-13 01:51:22

Oh and forget Downton, the best house staff are from Gosford Park.

Mimishimi Mon 14-Oct-13 03:06:44

Couldn't care less for a ladies maid but would love a housekeeper and a cook.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now