Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be annoyed with DH at mushroom danger

(22 Posts)
PuddingAndHotMilk Sun 13-Oct-13 19:08:42

DH went for a walk with the dog and DD (11wo) this afternoon and I went to bed. I came down and he'd picked a mushroom to find out if edible or poisonous and was sat with DD picking up mushroom to look at it then putting it down to pick up the muslin to wipe her dribble.

I know the chances are a) it's not poisonous and b) she won't have ingested any but ffhs she's 11wo! PFB or NBU??

He still doesn't know what the shroom is... confused

MrsFruitcake Sun 13-Oct-13 19:21:58

Yeah, I'd be annoyed too.

DH often goes walking looking for mushrooms with the DCs but the children both have a book which they can use to help identify them (and DD in particular is very good at remembering the ones they've seen before and which are edible and which not). DH is more or less an expert so it doesn't bother me much.

Your DH not having a clue is a bit different though so no, YANBU.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 13-Oct-13 19:25:58

I think unless he was wiping your 11wo with the I identified mushroom, YABU.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 13-Oct-13 19:26:19

*unidentified

Amy106 Sun 13-Oct-13 19:38:21

I would be worried too. Is your baby okay?

PuddingAndHotMilk Sun 13-Oct-13 20:30:48

She seems ok. She was due a sleep so she is sleeping on DH chest ( washed hand and clean muslin) at the moment. We think the shroom was edible...

ICameOnTheJitney Sun 13-Oct-13 20:32:57

Yanbu he was very, very stupid.

JessicaLundge Sun 13-Oct-13 20:33:49

Your husband put a mushroom ( or toadstool) near your baby and you're worried? Is that right?

chutneypig Sun 13-Oct-13 20:38:25

I think OP is concerned if it was poisonous he'd touched the mushroom and then wiped the baby's mouth without concern for cross contamination. Chances are small admittedly but I would not be impressed. Definitely not PFB.

SueDoku Sun 13-Oct-13 21:18:32

Very small traces can be deadly - YADNBU. Show him this story if he disputes this... news.sky.com/story/1088887/woman-killed-by-mushrooms-picked-in-garden shock

hiddenhome Sun 13-Oct-13 22:45:58

Hmm, your dh likes living dangerously eh? Is he aware that even experts get caught out from time to time?

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 13-Oct-13 22:48:59

The woman in that story ate a mushroom! I really don't think there's any danger from someone touching a mushroom even a poisonous one and then wiping a baby's mouth.

JumpOnIt Sun 13-Oct-13 22:55:22

YANBU at all if your DH doesn't know what he is doing.

My DH does know what he is doing and does take take DD with him but he is super careful and he is very aware she is not to touch/ pick/ eat etc. My DH says that even if you are an expert it always carries some degree of risk.

Honestly , I would throttle him if he did this.

PuddingAndHotMilk Sun 13-Oct-13 23:19:48

Yeah, he knows it's a dangerous game eating them but is in the 'no risk of cross contamination' camp hmm

DD is fine, I know the risk is tiny but it's an unnecessary risk IMHO. Looks like most of you agree he's a touch daft. All is well and hopefully he'll think twice next time (even tho he thinks ibu).

PuddingAndHotMilk Sun 13-Oct-13 23:20:32

Oh and no, he has no clue just the River cottage book confused

mercibucket Mon 14-Oct-13 00:02:47

he picked up the mushroom/toadstool then put it down then touched a cloth then touched the baby?
i would be fine with that

if he left it anywhere a baby could grab hold of it, otoh ...

I wouldn't be happy.
It can take as little as 25 grams of something like a death cap to kill a large adult.
It may only be trace amounts he's moving but the baby is tiny and it could make her ill

Fungi are not to be messed with

i have just heard today coincidentally, from a bona fide mushroom expert from a university that you are quite safe touching poisonous mushrooms, and unless you ingest a physical piece will come to no harm. hth grin

sashh Mon 14-Oct-13 06:44:57

MrsFruitcake

Could I borrow your dh and children?

I regularly have some sort on ink cap appear on the lawn but I have no idea if they are edible, I know some are. How can I tell?

letsgomaths Tue 15-Oct-13 19:26:26

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides

Deadly poisonous, and is sometimes mistaken for edible ones.

Be very careful!

Sophie18 Tue 15-Oct-13 19:59:04

I never realised how dangerous mushrooms are until an ex boyfriend picked one which turned out to be poisonous. He would have been fine had he not sucked his thumb at night (I know blush). Ended up being very very sick.

letsgomaths Wed 16-Oct-13 22:42:01

Also some of the young "death caps" look like edible mushrooms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now