Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think people shouldn't smoke with kids in the car

(61 Posts)
MoneyMug Sun 13-Oct-13 19:05:21

I don't care if I get flamed for saying this because I think it's absolutely disgusting. I can't think of one single reason where it would be acceptable to do this.

Today I saw a man and a woman smoking in a car, with a baby in the back. The windows were down a few inches. It makes me so angry. That poor baby.

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Oct-13 20:18:00

Yes Felyne, some want to smoke in the car but wind the window down and hold the cigarette outside the car. confused Then chuck it in the road when they are finished.

KirjavaTheCorpse Sun 13-Oct-13 20:18:34

Maybe if the smoker has to smoke the second they want a cigarette, or they'll die?

Is there a medical condition like that, that I'm unaware of?

If not then I stand by what I said. Happy to be corrected.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 13-Oct-13 20:18:57

However, it isn't always down to being purely selfish.

Isn't it? Can you expand on that a little please?

debbie1412 Sun 13-Oct-13 20:20:00

It's disguising those poor kids. Was it a proper cigarette ?? I only ask because my mum smokes those e-cigs while she's driving but you would never know it just from a quick glance.

LittleRobots Sun 13-Oct-13 20:20:23

I remember my parents doing this too - I really struggled with asthma.

BUt thenthey used to think I was "getting at them" in the evenings when I complained they were smoking in the lounge and sent me to my room... at least it wasn't as smokey. I spent most of my childhood struggling to breathe with asthma and chest infections.

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Oct-13 20:20:32

Do some smokers not fly because it is too long to go without a cigarette?

ShowMeYourTARDIS Sun 13-Oct-13 20:21:20

YANBU.

It is actually illegal where I live.

nomorecrumbs Sun 13-Oct-13 20:21:54

My Dad did this and it was horrid. I always struggled to breathe even though he had the window half-open.

God I must have reeked at it as well. I clearly remember one lesson where the teacher said she could tell which of us, the pupils, came from smoking households because she took our books home at night to mark and the smell would just waft up at her.

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Oct-13 20:24:23

My friend had a new baby and had about 3 week's ironing. She decided to send it out to an ironing lady. It all came back beautifully ironed and reeking of cigarettes. sad

KirjavaTheCorpse Sun 13-Oct-13 20:24:32

Same, LittleRobots. I spent a lot of time in my room!

zatyaballerina Sun 13-Oct-13 20:25:57

yanbu, people are so selfishangry

ErinExquisite001 Sun 13-Oct-13 20:26:51

100% it should be illegal. It is 100% selfish. Putting you're own wants before your child's health.

everlong Sun 13-Oct-13 20:32:15

Of course it's selfish.

If you're addicted stop the car and move away from your innocent children.

Yes it's selfish. That's what addiction does - it eats through your concern for other people and makes you selfish for your next fix, no matter what.

If you can't give up your addiction the best thing to do is minimise its effect on others, either by switching to safer delivery methods (e-cigs) or not smoking anywhere near non-smokers, including children.

MoneyMug Sun 13-Oct-13 20:39:56

I agree it should be illegal. I didn't realise it was in some places. I wish it was here.

The thing is, it's not even rare to see it. I see it all the time. DP gets so angry by it. If we/they weren't in a moving car, he would definitely say something to these people.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 13-Oct-13 20:40:08

YANBU

Really really stupid and selfish behaviour. I can't think of any excuse for it.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 13-Oct-13 20:47:35

It is one of the most cuntish things a parent can do actually.

My mother would do this, there is NOTHING worse than a newly lit up cigarette smell, nothing on this earth and it used to make me feel as sick as a pig.I would cry and get upset and then get told off hmm My mum woudlnt open the window because it gave her a stiff neck - but then she has always been a selfish bastard.

KeatsiePie Sun 13-Oct-13 20:49:01

Even when I did smoke like a chimney I wouldn't have smoked in a small enclosed space with a child present. Same, exactly.

Dawn what else could it be but selfish though, to inflict the smoke on a child in a confined space? I remember smoking. I loved smoking. But I did not need to do it to survive. I just wanted to. So, selfish.

smorticus Sun 13-Oct-13 20:55:22

YANBU

I am a smoker but wouldn't dream of smoking in the car or the house for that matter.
It is my choice to smoke and I make sure I am always away from DD when I do. Usually in the garden with a brolly!!!
Also even as a smoker it infuriates me when I see people smoking in cars with kids.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrandpaInMyBlender Sun 13-Oct-13 21:11:40

Eh? Have I missed something?

mynameismskane Sun 13-Oct-13 21:13:40

Of course it's bloody fucking selfish. Disgusting, crap parenting too. Vile.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 13-Oct-13 21:34:57

I am a smoker and I don't smoke in the car, nor the house.

It is down right discussing to smoke in a car with children.

HesterShaw Sun 13-Oct-13 21:37:10

YANBU.

Disgusting, selfish and vile.

Surely there can be no other opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now