To send ds (7) to the shop on his own??

(17 Posts)

I'm completely laid up with a slipped disc, can barely even get to the toilet and back sad we need milk, quite desperately. The shop is on the same side of the street, with no roads to cross, about 45 second walk. We live in a little village but ds doesn't normally go out on his own. I'm fairly confident that he's capable of walking there and back quite easily but I've never let him before (have stood and watched him from the gate but that is not an option at the minute as I literally can't stand for that long). I also want chocolate, as I feel this would aid my recovery considerably... grin

Shall I send him??

CatelynStark Sun 13-Oct-13 18:23:40

In those circumstances, yes I would. Hope you feel better soon.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 13-Oct-13 18:23:41

How would he feel about going?

He's fine with it so long as it's light. He's always asking to go but I'm normally reticent, but feel this classes as an emergency lol

shoofly Sun 13-Oct-13 18:27:13

Ds1 is 7, (8 just after Christmas) & a fairly sensible kid. In your situation, I would send him. He would also be immensely pleased to be given the responsibility. Make sure there's plenty of chocolate for him too. smile

cupcakeicing Sun 13-Oct-13 18:27:39

Is there a neighbour or friend you could phone to go for you?
'Fairly' confident frightens me.
If you phoned the shop would someone run along to you with supplies?

Selks Sun 13-Oct-13 18:30:36

I'd let him go, if you trust him to be sensible.

GobblersKnob Sun 13-Oct-13 18:30:54

Ds is nine and has been going to the shop for me for a couple of years or so, (same side of the street, no roads, very near) so I would, yes.

pixwix Sun 13-Oct-13 18:33:29

Ds1 was around 6 when he first went - (small village, short walk) I did phone the shop beforehand to warn them he was coming in, and to ask them to prompt him if needed (small village, nice owners).

I would let him x

Thants Sun 13-Oct-13 18:34:21

I'm sure it would be fine but I'm a nervous person and wouldn't, it makes me anxious thinking about it!

vestandknickers Sun 13-Oct-13 18:36:49

I wouldn't, but only because I'm a bit fussy. It would probably be fine.

5madthings Sun 13-Oct-13 18:39:28

Yanbu I think it should be fine smile

usualsuspect Sun 13-Oct-13 18:40:42

He will be fine.

Yes I would. DS has bought milk on his own from the shop at the end of our road. He was 7 in the summer and was v excited to have the responsibility.

80sMum Sun 13-Oct-13 18:42:47

Sounds fine to me.

Haven't times changed? DH was 7 when he started prep school and had to make his own way to and from school, which journey took about an hour each way and involved walking to tube station, getting on tube, travelling to another Borough, getting off tube and walking to bus stop, then catching the bus to the school (and doing it all in reverse in the afternoon).
It was quite the norm in those days (early '60s) for children to make their own way to school from the age of 7!

He went, and he's back bearing Galaxy smile I work in the village shop so I know they'll have looked after him (should be working right now actually, but can't for obvious reasons!). He thought it was brilliant that I let him go and I've let him keep the change (said he could choose some sweets and put what was left in his money box, so he's deliberately chosen 2 bars of galaxy on 2 for 90p as he's got more change that way! Smart little bugger! Lol).

WidowWadman Sun 13-Oct-13 18:45:14

At 7 I would - I was walking to school on my own at age 7, about 900 yards, two roads to cross.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now