To think that if your child has croup they might be contagious?

(34 Posts)
birdsnotbees Sun 13-Oct-13 18:07:23

We nanny share. Friend's DD got croup this week, on ABs, off school. The DD was then dumped on our nanny, & brought to our house, meaning my youngest spent two days with the ill child, & my eldest after school. Both my kids now have croup & I'm going.to have to take time off work to look after them- which for me means losing £ as I'm self employed, not to mention the fact that my kids are ill. AIBU in thinking friend shld have stayed at home with her poorly kids? Argh!

christine44 Sun 13-Oct-13 21:08:24

Croup is not contagious . My daughter was a regular sufferer when little and when hospitalised was always treated with steroids not antibiotics. Some children have narrower air ways which make them more prone to it according to A and E Dr.

BIWI Sun 13-Oct-13 21:12:49

You should be having a word with your friend, not your nanny. It's not fair to make your nanny responsible for this.

bluestar2 Sun 13-Oct-13 21:13:11

Croup is contagious and bl

MoominsYonisAreScary Sun 13-Oct-13 21:15:23

The nhs website states that croup is spread in the same way as the common cold so difficult to prevent

Spasmodic croup is usually treated with steroids to reduce swelling in the throat

BrokenSunglasses Sun 13-Oct-13 21:15:52

Your friends mistake was signing a contract with a nanny that won't look after sick children.

I could understand someone employing a nanny because they need someone that is able to look after children when they are ill, but if your nanny has a contract that states she won't look after sick children then the nanny should have stuck to that, and she shouldn't have been asked to take the child in the first place.

bluestar2 Sun 13-Oct-13 21:15:53

Argh! Stupid phone. It is contagious and bloody nasty. My ds had it recently the cough is still there. He was lucky and didn't need hospitalisation so no the nanny should have said no. My ds doctor also told me to inform nursery where he caught it and keep him away. Another child was diagnosed a couple of days later. Hope they get well soon

birdsnotbees Sun 13-Oct-13 21:24:26

BIWI I'm not blaming our nanny.

And the NHS website states that it is contagious. I've already said it but I'll say it again: there are two kinds of croup. One is contagious. The poorly DD had ABs several days after originally being diagnosed, so it had presumably turned into a chest infection by that point.

And as it's a nanny share, I think it's standard not to accept kids who are ill - as well as us two families she also does school pick up and drop offs for others so it's really not in her interest to take on an ill child.

Anyway, DD is really ill tonight so school's off by the looks of it. Poor wee thing, she's been up twice already. And it could well have been avoided.

maddening Sun 13-Oct-13 21:36:22

croup is the symptom - it could be from any type of infection - it is when it (as in the infection- either bacterial or viral ) affects the voice box causing the barking cough.

whether you will mix your dc during illnesses - which let's face it - is going to happen - is something you should have established when setting up a nanny share. In most non exclusive daycare settings eg nursery/preschool/childminders - the general consensus is that colds etc are fine - most colds and similar such as croup as considered fine to send in dc as long as the dc is generally well in themselves - so playing, alert etc and not overly impacted and needing bed and parents iyswim.

and your elder dc is likely mixing with all sorts of germs at school anyway.

Patienceisapparentlyavirtue Wed 22-Oct-14 13:04:20

YAB (a bit) U. As people have said... Croup is not contagious, but the virus that causes it (and in most though not all cases it is viral) is. However in all nanny shares I know of, the share goes on despite colds, and ultimately this is probably what caused it. Unless you had another arrangement?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now