Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

To think if you can't work you can't care either?

(133 Posts)
stella69x Sun 13-Oct-13 16:20:56

So if somebody is in receipt of sickness benefits, therefore they are deemed unfit to work, they should not be entitled to carers allowance for caring for another person.

In my mind if they are fit to care for another person they are fit to work!

Opinions gratefully received

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 13-Oct-13 16:22:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

elQuintoConyo Sun 13-Oct-13 16:22:25

What is it to you? Can't you just let people be?

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 13-Oct-13 16:22:39

HTH

dontwanttobefatandforty Sun 13-Oct-13 16:25:49

Stella I think it depends on why they are off sick and what kind of care is involved, but generally yes I agree with you

TigerBabyyy Sun 13-Oct-13 16:26:16

I didnt think you could claim carers allowance aswell as sickness benefit.

I think you can care for someone if you are unable to work, depending on why you are unable to work.

If you are unable to work due to breaking your leg, then no you cant possible care for someone else.

However if you are unable to work due to stress or anxiety, then yes you can still care for someone so it depends on the individual circumstances.

Penny13 Sun 13-Oct-13 16:26:21

I don't agree OP. If one person has a mental health illness is won't affect their physical health in caring for another sick person (e.g helping them with shopping, going to the toilet etc).

hermioneweasley Sun 13-Oct-13 16:27:07

I am inclined to agree with you.

BrianTheMole Sun 13-Oct-13 16:27:29

No I don't agree with you. Lots of different activities define being a carer. It doesn't have to be heavy lifting. Someone may struggle with a nine til Five job, but manage the role of caring for someone else quite successfully. Plenty of people are not well enough to work, but they still manage to care for their children just fine.

mumblechum1 Sun 13-Oct-13 16:28:12

It does seem wrong if they get double benefits.

But I know nowt.

sydlexic Sun 13-Oct-13 16:28:45

I can't work at the moment, I care for my MIL, I could say I can't do it but then she would die.

I don't claim anything so that is ok.

sydlexic Sun 13-Oct-13 16:29:15

It is the caring that makes people sick.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sun 13-Oct-13 16:30:44

ODFOD there's a love

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UsedToBeNDP Sun 13-Oct-13 16:31:48

That's too linear an idea, OP, frankly.
You can be unfit for paid work but still have to shoulder carer responsibilities (say for a child, partner or parent) regardless of your own health needs.

TidyDancer Sun 13-Oct-13 16:32:53

It depends on the sickness I suppose.

How would saying "my opinion is that you should fuck off" be helpful to anyone?

mrsjay Sun 13-Oct-13 16:33:13

Carer is such a big umbrella of things not all carers are lifting and laying and anyway YABU sickness and caring is nothing to do with anybody it is a private and personal think and if you begrudge a carer with their own illness a few pounds a week then you are a bit heartless imo

mrsjay Sun 13-Oct-13 16:33:26

thing*

But to be fair, people who are too sick to work shouldn't be expected to be carers. The state should step in, allow these people to just look after themselves and take responsibility for the person who needs care. But they don't do they? The state expects families to care for their own disabled/sick/elderly, with absolutely zero consideration for how fucking hard it might be.

Jesus.

People who are carers, in the majority of cases, do not choose to be a carer. They are left with no choice but to look after their sick or disabled family member. For a healthy person to take that on is a big ask, nevermind someone who has their own health issues to contend with.

The amount of benefits someone in these categories is expected to live on is a bloody pittance, and I suggest you walk a day in their shoes before you suggest its unfair or too much.

JuliaScurr Sun 13-Oct-13 16:37:32

'double benefits'

oh, my sides

less than £900 pm

did you see the news about unpaid tax?

BruthasTortoise Sun 13-Oct-13 16:37:46

You can't get paid Carers Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance together, they're overlapping benefits. So what are you talking about?

Dawndonnaagain Sun 13-Oct-13 16:38:10

Fuck of to the farside of fuck and then a bit more. Thanks.

Dawndonnaagain Sun 13-Oct-13 16:39:25

Oh, and just so you get your information correct, all bar a couple of quid is taken off carer's allowance if you are on other benefits.

usualsuspect Sun 13-Oct-13 16:39:41

Bloody hell MN is full of twats today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now