About drinking alcohol in front of children?

(81 Posts)
stoopstofolly Sun 13-Oct-13 13:59:13

My DH and I are not big drinkers IMO(compared to our pre-children 20s!). We'll share a bottle of wine on Sat might if we're not going out and sometimes my husband had a bottle of beer in the evening after work. No more than 3 per week, as that's all I buy! We don't eat together much as a family during the week as DH works long hours , but always eat together every breakfast, Sat lunch and Sunday dinner. Sun dinner is at about 5.30. We've got into the habit if having a glass of wine at Sunday dinner (children are 7 and 3 and have water!). We don't drink the whole bottle at dinner- usually just a (large) glass, and then finish it sun evening/ Monday evening once children are in bed.
They have NEVER seen us drunk or really even tipsy.
My American friend was horrified by this- she said by drinking in front of the children on Sunday we were normalising alcohol use...
Now, I know that I'm exceeding the maximum daily units twice a week, but I hadn't really thought about what message this sends to the children. Do other people drink at family mealtimes or us my friend just reflecting a more puritanical American approach...?

Lweji Mon 14-Oct-13 16:21:59

Or rather, parents' grin

bumpandkind Mon 14-Oct-13 16:34:59

I think it's maybe too normal in my circle of friends. When my friend was getting worked up telling me a work story her 6 year old DD went to the fridge and poured her a glass of wine 'to relax mummy'!

Ooh, one of my favourite stupidity indicators! 'Wah, you mustn't drink when you have children in case you have to drive!' If you are one of the fucknuggets who comes out with this statement, do you think that people who don't own cars should not be allowed to breed or something?

Trills Mon 14-Oct-13 16:46:29

It is possible to "normalise" something that is normal?

Tell them that they are normalising car use, or normalising wearing shoes.

ProudAS Mon 14-Oct-13 16:46:37

I was drinking wine at 7 - a few drops in a sherry glass on Sunday lunchtime. The right way to introduce a child to alcohol in my opinion.

Retroformica Mon 14-Oct-13 17:20:19

I think you are modelling good behaviour in relation to alcohol. Your children will see you drinking in moderation and responsibly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now