STOP using the word "retard".

(212 Posts)
Sparklysilversequins Sun 13-Oct-13 11:59:23

This has been done many times before and I can't think why I am needing to do it again, except I have seen it used twice on here this morning already angry.

It's offensive. It's not JUST a word. It's no less offensive if you prefix it with "emotional" or use it to describe some silly thing you or a friend did, or some bloke you saw with his trousers half way down his backside as young men sometimes choose to do.

It may be that some believe that the use of this word is considered acceptable in other countries (ie the US) and this often trotted out as a reason for its use but that is not actually true here. As of 2014 the American Psychiatric Association plans to replace the term 'mental retardation' with 'intellectual development disorder'" in the 2013 edition of their manual.

most offensive terms used in relation to disability.

HTH.

YouTheCat Tue 15-Oct-13 14:37:51

Good for you, Ring. smile

TheBigJessie Tue 15-Oct-13 14:40:47

Ring flowers
Thank you for actually thinking about people's posts in this thread.

People, we could be on a roll of change here!

how very disarming of you ringa! well done.

Owllady Tue 15-Oct-13 14:46:04

I can't quite believe people use it.

When we were on holiday we had taken my daughter out for a meal, she has severe learning disabilities and eating out/somewhere different is a huge thing for her. She was fine smile sitting happily eating her dinner. This couple arrived and were seated on the table behind us. He said to his wife, loud enough for me to hear, 'don't look now but there is a Joey behind you'

anyone who thinks a little girl behaving herself, out for a meal with her family deserves that needs shooting quite frankly. People who trot out 'oh here comes the PC brigade' usually have no experience day to day with dealing with the ignorance surrounding disabilities.

Sparklysilversequins Tue 15-Oct-13 14:51:11

shock I would have been tempted to assist him in WEARING his dinner owllady. What an ARSE!

Good for you ring. And yes Disablism IS a word smile.

ThePuffyShirt Tue 15-Oct-13 14:56:30

It is an awful word.

The other day my 15 year old son, normally intelligent and mostly nice to be around, called his brother in the heat of an argument - 'a mong'.

I was absolutely shocked. After I had finished ranting at admonishing him, he confessed it is a word constantly bandied around in his school.

How depressing.

EeTraceyluv Tue 15-Oct-13 14:57:03

Thank goodness for that Ring grin. It really is a horrible word. And 'gay' too - it suggests that being 'gay' is something to be ashamed of.
Owllady. I would have also invited him to taste his dinner close up

ThePuffyShirt Tue 15-Oct-13 14:57:38

Owllady - that is shocking.

Thumbwitch Tue 15-Oct-13 15:03:29

Owllady - how awful! sad
I'd have probably been more PA about it and said something like "Don't look now, DD but there's someone with absolutely no manners sitting just behind you" loud enough for him to hear it. But then again I'd have probably just kept my head down and prayed that my DD didn't hear him. What a tosser he was! angry

Dawndonnaagain Tue 15-Oct-13 15:22:43

Ring thanks
We are very appreciative, thank you. Dd (who is doing her German now) says Thank you for 'listening'.

Beastofburden Tue 15-Oct-13 16:30:03

Thanks, ring. My DS2 would also be grateful if he could understand.

Owllady Tue 15-Oct-13 17:45:14

The thing was she didn't know and wouldn't know, I think that is what is the most upsetting as she is incredibly vulnerable, as are all people with severe learning disabilities. So why mock? What is so funny about mocking someone so vulnerable?

I was absolutely fuming and I couldn't even say anything either as she cannot cope with confrontation, loud noises, people arguing either. I shot him a look, he knew I knew what he had said. His wife looked mortified. Well spoken middle aged couple ffs

Something incredibly difficult was made worse by someone thinking they were being clever/funny. Something that actually should have been enjoyable because it was success and success is very difficult when you have someone in your family that is so challenging

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now