How can I help my friend?

(13 Posts)
fluffyduckie Sun 13-Oct-13 10:52:37

She lives in England but a long way from me and is really struggling with bills and feeding her kids.

Is it possible to order food or something to her address?

Don't want her to feel like a charity case and also what if it arrives and she wasn't in.

Really want to send something nice for her and the girls but girly stuff isn't practical. I mean it is nice but not essential when you don't have enough food.

Preciousbane Sun 13-Oct-13 10:58:10

Online Tesco, Ocado or ASDA shop? they deliver till quite late at night, I had a delivery at 10pm once as it was a very cheap slot.

You could send a gift card instead from a supermarket sort of a get yourself a treat and if she spends on tins of beans and practical stuff no one knows.

You sound like a lovely friend.

JadziaSnax Sun 13-Oct-13 11:00:03

Can you do a Tesco or Asda online shop to her address? You could always add something girly to the shopping and tell her that she does need to be in at a certain time.

That's really thoughtful fluffyduckie, she's lucky to have such a kind friend.

WorraLiberty Sun 13-Oct-13 11:00:32

I second the gift card idea

Most supermarkets sell them.

Fifibluebell Sun 13-Oct-13 11:04:21

You sound like a lovey friend! I would probably do a supermarket shop for her and just try and sneakily try and establish a time of day that she is usually in. A supermarket gift card also a brilliant idea that way she won't miss the delivery and you won't have to worry about picking strawberry jam when she likes raspberry smile

fluffyduckie Sun 13-Oct-13 11:19:42

I hadn't thought of gift cards .... will have to subtly find out where she shops.

I just don't want to be all words - saying it will get better when I don't know that - when she is getting behind on bills because she needs to buy food for the 3 of them.

TidyDancer Sun 13-Oct-13 11:47:53

You sound very sweet. smile

Check which supermarket delivers to her address and get a gift card for there. That way you don't have to be sneaky and ask where she shops.

It's a lovely thing you're doing for her.

fluffyduckie Sun 13-Oct-13 11:52:42

I want to send a few nice bits in the post too for her and the girls. Nothing super expensive as I am not well off myself. Maybe face packs and nail stuff and some food treats - just like a pamper evening in a box. I don't want it to be all practical you know.

Lj8893 Sun 13-Oct-13 11:59:33

All the suggestions here are great.

I just wanted to say what an amazing friend you are!!!

fluffyduckie Sun 13-Oct-13 13:10:20

I wish I could do more though - she is trying so hard and my own budget limits what I can do.

If you do a Tesco online shop, you can add beauty bits.

What an amazing friend you are.

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 13-Oct-13 13:49:35

I think you can buy gift cards on your own nectar/club card points... Or at least you could say you had a stash of loyalty points you always forget to use. Sometimes a little lie can make an awkward situation more palatable. And if she still feels uncomfortable, just point out that if she ever finds the shoe is on the other foot, she can return the favour then... That's what friendship is all about.

fluffyduckie Sun 13-Oct-13 14:44:45

She doesn't ask for help at all. I knew she was struggling but not how much and now I know I can't just ignore it.

I know she said that the girls were missing going to the cinema so I might do a box like that - film dvds, sweets, popcorn.

I know how she feels as I wouldn't want to have to ask for help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now