DH just tried to give 2.7yr old an iPad to take to bed rather than reading a story!!

(31 Posts)
ElBombero Sat 12-Oct-13 23:56:10

angry Fuming

We've been to a friends house for tea, this never happens I was looking forward to it and we've had a lovely night. So it's very late DD knackered, so am I, I've had her and my month old DS to mind alone all day whilst he goes football.

So the bright spark first of all says she can come in bed with us, confused why? I'm gonna be up all night feeding don't need this shit. I say no and asks that he puts her to bed.

She's crying, daddy story. He's says no it's too late, do you want the iPad!!! She says yes but want a story too, no story it's late. He comes out if the room I said no way, your not really gonna do that? He says yes. So I can get out of bed mid feed, take the iPad off my DD and feed her a story whilst feeding my DS. I tell him he's useless, he says well done, what a hero you are. Come back in room he's sleeping. Lazy fucking fuckwit I'm fuming.

Donkeyok Sun 13-Oct-13 00:01:20

haha lazy fucking fuckwit yep

Immac the word "Twat" (or insult of your choice) into his head while he is lolling in swinish sloth... grin That or beat him over the head with the iPad, or LTB...
Will he get up early in the morning and deal with the children to let you get some sleep? If so you might forgive him I suppose, but of not, Do IT, do it NOW... grin

HereComesHoneyBooBooDragon Sun 13-Oct-13 00:08:16

Change the password on the iPad so only you know what it is.

ElBombero Sun 13-Oct-13 00:08:58

He better do. But he won't apologise n I'm stubborn n sulky without one so there's tomorrow down the pan

Mellowandfruitful Sun 13-Oct-13 00:25:50

Yes, change the password. YANBU.

Topseyt Sun 13-Oct-13 00:26:00

I would be annoyed too. You were feeding your baby, and the least he could have done was to see your daughter off to bed properly.

He only needed to either read to her for a couple of minutes or perhaps make up a story himself, not use the ipad as a babysitter.

petalsandstars Sun 13-Oct-13 03:51:49

Arse. No other words

petalsandstars Sun 13-Oct-13 03:52:16

Him not you btw

dimsum123 Sun 13-Oct-13 04:20:03

What's the big deal as a one off? As long as everyone got off to sleep ok I don't think it's the end of the world.

MrsMook Sun 13-Oct-13 04:26:24

An ipad is a stimulating object rather than a relaxing one like the story.

DH is an expert in knowing the 45 second stories. I go for the poetry books when it's a late one.

YANBU

StupidFlanders Sun 13-Oct-13 08:38:58

Sounds fine to me. My dcs have a few stories on ours. Would you have preferred he monitored her using it? Is there inappropriate content on it?

arethereanyleftatall Sun 13-Oct-13 08:45:15

Completely ott reaction from you. Yabu. absolutely fine for a once off.

Tailtwister Sun 13-Oct-13 08:48:34

YANBU, it was really lazy of him. You were busy dealing with feeding your DS, so he should have been doing his bit and settling his daughter properly, not shoving an iPad at her and leaving her to get on with it.

I'm not surprised you were angry, I would have been the same.

kelda Sun 13-Oct-13 08:49:26

Complete overreaction. I've spent the last 9 years reading bedtime stories and eery now and again, when I'm tired and it's been a busy day, I let them have the iPad.

superzero Sun 13-Oct-13 08:55:01

YANBU.
He's left you on your own all day with a baby and toddler to watch football and can't be bothered to do a tiny bit of childcare properly which would take 5 minutes.
It's not really about the iPad,it's about making the effort.

FredFredGeorge Sun 13-Oct-13 09:01:05

Surely stories are also stimulating, isn't that the whole point of stories to stimulate the mind?

Shoesme84 Tue 15-Oct-13 13:38:41

YABU, my sons mother occasionally does this.

You hero, you.

KittyShcherbatskaya Tue 15-Oct-13 13:42:14

YANBU and can't believe how many people disagree. The bedtime routine is important for getting the child to sleep, especially if you're going to be up in The night with DC2. How long does a quick Peppa story take, even when you're tired? Lazy git.

Isildur Tue 15-Oct-13 13:46:52

My 2 YO sometimes falls asleep with the iPad.

Those apps with the floating particles and soothing music are very sleep inducing. grin

LayMeDown Tue 15-Oct-13 13:50:55

YABU to be fuming.

It is lazy, but we are all guilty of being lazy now and again. Sometimes I give my kids pizza instead of cooking from scratch, sometimes I drive them places I really could have walked them, sometimes after a long day I let them watch TV for a little longer than the designated hour and don't read them a story. I would not be impressed with DH giving me a hard time over these decisions.
I suspect there is more to this than you are saying but on the face of ti I think you massively over reacted. If this was just a once off rather than part of a patter, I don't see the problem. I think you were a bit of a martyr tbh.

Dobbiesmum Tue 15-Oct-13 13:53:17

Not the brightest idea but if it's a one off then it's just a blip not cause for WW3 is it? Telling him he's useless is not going to get him to listen to your opinion on why it's not suitable to give a computer to a toddler at bedtime. You did rather deserve the sarcasm you got back..

Dobbiesmum Tue 15-Oct-13 13:53:56

What app is it Isildur?

Isildur Tue 15-Oct-13 14:01:13

Dobbiesmum , one is Particle Pad, another is Art of Glow. There are loads of them about.

They are quite cool.

Mellowandfruitful Tue 15-Oct-13 14:01:32

He was being lazy. A story can be done in five minutes so isn't really comparable to cooking a meal from scratch. If you can't spare five minutes at the end of the day you're doing something wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now