M & S (or equivalent) or from scratch....

(125 Posts)
SamanthaHD Sat 12-Oct-13 11:24:35

'What is wrong with spending a little extra time, cooking from scratch?' these were my DH's exact words. Aside from the fact that is very rarely 'a little extra time' I hate cooking, and were DH not around I would feed myself and the kids on bulked out (with veg, pasta, potatoes etc) ready meals, preferably nutritionally sound ones.

DH thinks this is very wrong.

Who, in your estimable opinion, is right?

mrsjay Sat 12-Oct-13 12:35:17

I detest cooking my heart sinks every dinner time and shopping for food URGH I am not a v ery good cook I just can't get it together the timings are all wrong, but I do cook meals from scratch I suppose just they are not very exciting meals and yes we will have the odd frozen pie here and there, it really is no biggie . I know people who are passionate about cooking spend hours and hours cooking I just don't enjoy it, I think I am meant for staff grin

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Sat 12-Oct-13 12:35:31

Not "envy thing" but everything.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Oct-13 12:37:02

Cookery programmes make me cross. All that faffing about and for what? James Martin was poncing about with bone marrow this morning. hmm

Threalamandaclarke Sat 12-Oct-13 12:38:37

We very rarely eat ready meals or use Bought sauces. DH used to do most of the cooking but I do more now as I'm on mat leave.
I am with you though. I don't enjoy cooking. It's a bastard chore. Usually with a demanding toddler and grizzly 8 m/o at my heels. It's stressful.
I actually feel stressed just thinking about it.
Soooooo much cleaning too. Pans and utensils aarrrghhh!
The best idea though would be a restaurant just 2 doors away that did a good breakfast, lunch and supper.
LTB grin

mrsjay Sat 12-Oct-13 12:39:10

OH i missed it this morning what was he making with bone marrow last week they had about 100 pans on the go for one dish hmm

teacher123 Sat 12-Oct-13 12:39:22

I quite like making cakes, but get very bored of general cooking. Luckily DH does most of it. When he's on a late shift I eat omelettes, soup or pizza for dinner.

Threalamandaclarke Sat 12-Oct-13 12:40:14

Cookery programmes serve to sell cookery books.

mrsjay Sat 12-Oct-13 12:40:48

My family are off here and there next week I am on my own for 3 days M n S have 3 for 2 on ready meals I am going there today grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Oct-13 12:41:22

Not sure mrsjay-I was listening but not watching. Next time I glanced at the TV Paul Hollywood was showing us all how to make our own baguettes with some special baguette tins which nobody owns. hmm

mrsjay Sat 12-Oct-13 12:43:08

OH god baguette tins hmm

HarderToKidnap Sat 12-Oct-13 12:45:10

You need A Plan.

DH likes cooking. So once a month, get him to batch cook chilli, spag Bol sauce, beef stew etc. he also cooks the meals for weekends.

Once a week you eat something he's batch cooked out the freezer. So that leaves four meals to think about.

Once a week you have a ready meal.
Once a week you have jacket potatoes with cheese and beans or tuna mayo and avocado etc.
That leaves you two meals a week to cook from scratch. Get six recipes you don't hate too much...fish pie (Jamie Oliver does a great one where you just grate the stuff in and don't have to precook the fish), fish in foil with veg and new pots, chicken pie from Jamie Oliver thirty min meals, etc etc... Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals generally are great. Then you just do these on a 3 week rotation.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Oct-13 12:45:41

I could have nipped down to the shop and bought a baguette in half the time it took him to make them, and with not having to buy the baguette tin I would be quids in.

I am a disinterested cook but I am sure I would like it a lot more if I only had to do it as a hobby at the weekend.

Planning, buying, prepping, chopping, cooking, serving up 3 meals every flipping day is a sure-fire way of making me lose interest.

Besides, lots of short-cut stuff, like ready made sauces and pre-chopped vegetables are not the e-number-fest that they used to be, so I refuse to feel guilty.

TensionSquealsGhoulsHeels Sat 12-Oct-13 12:53:21

Personally I think the person who feels strongly about what should be happening with regards to meals should be the one to do something about it. Not doing so is lazy. So if your DH thinks it's important and is of the view a bit more time spent is no big deal, then heartily agree with him, thank him for the suggestion and ask him what he's cooking for dinner. The idea above about getting him to batch cook once or twice a month is a great idea too, that way he can feel happy that his opinion counts, he does his bit to give everyone some 'cooked from scratch' meals and you don't have to endure a task you don't like/want to do while your family still gets what your DH feels is important.

Win win!grin

ConsideringTheFuture Sat 12-Oct-13 12:56:35

I don't think there is such a thing as a 'nutritionally sound' ready meal hmm

I don't like cooking. I also don't like washing clothes, pairing socks, cleaning the toilet or mopping the floors.

They get done though because they have to. Cooking decent meals for the kids is not an 'optional' IMO.

Arf at a baguette tin grin

I find the two minute walk to the local Tesco quicker.

ConsideringTheFuture Sat 12-Oct-13 13:01:00

Personally I think the person who feels strongly about what should be happening with regards to meals should be the one to do something about it

I disagree. Luckily df and I feel the same about food and healthy options but if we disagreed, I wouldn't be sitting back and going 'Oh well, feed the kids a load of shite today then, it's your day off so nothing to do with me' hmm

sleepyhead Sat 12-Oct-13 13:04:27

Get a slow cooker and then it'll be easy for your dh to rustle up something home - cooked and nutritious for the next day before he goes to bed. Or maybe he could get up a bit early and do it then.

Also suggest that he does some batch cooking at weekends.

Want2bSupermum Sat 12-Oct-13 13:14:59

Im with you to a certain degree OP. I don't have time to cook so I have 'ready meals' that either I or my home help have cooked in the freezer. The baby has cooked food that is frozen down into ice cube trays.

The term 'cooking from scratch' annoys me. So much of our food is processed. Tinned tomatoes are processed yet using them is considered ok. How many of you 'cooking from scratch' are making your own pasta?

Where I draw the line is nutrition. Some ready meals and restaurant cooked items are very high in salt which is not good. Most of the meals lack enough vegetables too. If I buy a bertolli bag in the frozen section I am also buying a bag of frozen peppers and peas to add to it. I am very picky about what frozen meals I buy. I have no idea why a frozen meal has to have so much salt in it.

Jinsei Sat 12-Oct-13 13:28:02

OP, I hate cooking too, it's such a drag! However, I don't think processed ready meals are very nutritious so I do kind of agree with your DH. Can't he do a bit more cooking in the week as well as at weekends?

Batch cooking is definitely the way to go, saves loads of hassle!

PumpkinGuts Sat 12-Oct-13 15:36:19

If Dh isn't cooking he can fuck off. Yanbu

Your husband can get up at 4am to chop things and bung them in a slow cooker if he cares that fucking much.

How nice of him to volunteer you for the shitwork.

Prick.

Xpost with PumpkinGuts, with whom I agree 100%.

PumpkinGuts Sat 12-Oct-13 15:41:30

I'm very surprised everyone has taken his side. If he only cooks weekends its really not for him to dictate

PumpkinGuts Sat 12-Oct-13 15:42:27

Exactly Maltese!

.and I love cooking, but that's not the point

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now