aibu to adore the smell of my rats...

(69 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Fri 11-Oct-13 22:44:19

I just sit with my nose in their fur.....the boys smell so scrummy. they are very big boys. they weigh over 600g .....I am addicted to their gorgeous musky smell.....the girls just don't smell as comforting. the boys smell like the fave teddy you had as a kid.....I adore rats. I will actually cry when they shuffle off this mortal coil.... ...they have such huge personalities, (and sucha fabulous smell!) I have 9 of them. I really do love them. and their furry smell. I w8dh I could take em to work....I find their smell calming...yummy boys.

Theodorakiss Sat 12-Oct-13 09:10:12

I have a really smelly kitten at the moment, I love unrolling him when he's asleep and sniffing him. I thought it was just me...

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 12-Oct-13 09:25:03

I walk about frequently with a very large rat under my nose...

Have I overdone the tramadol again?

KirjavaTheCorpse Sat 12-Oct-13 09:27:28

Yanbu. I miss my boys sad

They are amazing pets.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 12-Oct-13 11:05:07

when I was younger I had pet rats and I used to love holding them to my face and sniffing them smile

I did the same when I had gerbils and hamsters too. I couldn't explain it, there was just something so warm and comforting about their smell.

I have cats now and I love sniffing their fur too smile

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 13-Oct-13 01:01:43

grin at disgrace if thats the effect of tramadol I may need to get me some....
as soon as I got home.tonight I sniffed a rat. thats not a euphemism. ....wink wink im playing with them now...glass of wine, crappy magazines, mumsnet and ratties. ...dont get better than this! ( well it probably does actually.....)

ShowMeYourTARDIS Sun 13-Oct-13 03:25:19

I love how my girls smell--just like fresh corn tortillas. They are so cute!

CouthyMow Sun 13-Oct-13 03:30:35

Just to say, I misread the title of this thread as "I love to smell my farts".

CouthyMow Sun 13-Oct-13 03:32:59

Or rather "I adore the smell of my farts".

But rats smell far nicer, I would imagine!!grin

Idocrazythings Sun 13-Oct-13 05:45:17

For some reason DS's hair smells of "wet dog". Not nice for sniffing though!

Peanate Sun 13-Oct-13 05:48:15

YABVU

The best smell in the world is puppy feet. That nice squishy bit between the pads of their paws......

Melonbreath Sun 13-Oct-13 06:26:37

Yanbu.
I used to sniff my ratties all the time, and rub their soft fur against my cheek

NationMcKinley Sun 13-Oct-13 06:34:12

LOVE rats! I used to have 3. They were wonderful. I had l long hair at the time and the female one used to sit on my shoulder and make herself a little nest in it smile. All my animals have smelt lovely; the back of my much-missed cat's neck smelt amazing sad. The only one of my animals who didn't smell particularly nice was my ferret. They smell a bit like a urinary tract infection hmm

ratspeaker Sun 13-Oct-13 06:43:35

I miss my boys SO much.
Nothing can beat the sight of them rushing to the cage door whiskets twitching as you approach.
Or of a contented rat snuffling your ear.

winklewoman Sun 13-Oct-13 07:58:26

They are the best pets. Fond memories of our ratties snuggling into my cleavage with little head peeping out, and playing in the bed with us. Why anyone would choose a hamster over a rat is beyond me.

Stinkyminkymoo Sun 13-Oct-13 08:00:10

YANBU though I've never smelled a rat wink

I love, love, love the smell of horses. Ever since I was 3 up to when I got mine, I would take any chance I could to stroke them and would then smell my hands for as long as the smell was there!

Now I just love burying my nose into their neck and stoking their velvety noses. Heaven!

though I do not enjoy the smell when they fart in my face & I get a mouthful

YANBU!!
I have 7 ratties at the moment. My neutered buck smells delicious - like baking. My intact bucks smell more musty. The does are just so playfully cute and girlish.

I do not appreciate the smell of their cage though. The aventura is now stocked with finacard after giving fitch bedding a try. Every morning looked like it had been snowing in my house grin

So nice to see some Rat lovers on here thanks

fluffyduckie Sun 13-Oct-13 10:06:26

I loved the smell of my hamsters when I was young. Fur and sawdust!

They were cleaned out a lot so there wasn't that smell issue though.

babyicebean Sun 13-Oct-13 10:25:43

I admit to loving the smell of our ferrets - weirdly today they smell of toast but they can smell of digestive biscuits. We looked after a friends three and two are entire hobs and they were quite musky but nice musky. The other one smelt of fabric softener as he kept escaping into the laundry cupboard to sleep in the duster pile.

Although if they decide to 'skunk' when fighting its not as pleasant, can be quite eye watering.

Lara2 Sun 13-Oct-13 10:29:42

I miss my rats too - sadly no time for a colony at the moment. sad. They are the best small pet.

MurderOfBanshees Sun 13-Oct-13 10:30:46

Do you reckon if I went in to Pets at Home and asked they'd let me sniff their rats? I miss my little ones and haven't got room for them now I've got a toddler to contend with. sad

Madratlady Sun 13-Oct-13 22:58:19

I have 15 of my own and 4 foster rats at the moment. I love them so much.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 14-Oct-13 01:28:54

i am out with the girls at the min - they are sooooo cheeky! i was eating a kinder chocolate bar, it got wrestled off me.....

i reckon if rats were bigger we would all be in trouble. smile

gonna get the boys in a bit....i love the boys smell more, and they stay still longer for me to sniff them....
getting a puppy in just over a weeks time too.....

i also love the smell of horses. I ride and help out at the livery yard.....i sniff horses too.

but i cant fit them under my nose as easily.....grin

festered Mon 14-Oct-13 05:30:49

YANBU
I love rats.
I just fostered some however and I dont have an ideal set up for them at the moment, they just had nowhere to go so I took them in.
Rats are ace.
I do prefer the smell of hamsters, though.

ScarerStratton Mon 14-Oct-13 08:27:28

YANBU, especially with the smell of horses, it's divine.

I loved the smell of FatFred, it was warm and musky, and just smelt comforting. He was ridiculously cuddly for a ferret, too. I used to walk about with him draped round my neck, like a miniature stole.

I wanted rats! DP didn't... So we settled on guinea pigs and I love cuddling up with them. Was devastated when our first 2 guineas died murdered by bastard foxes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now