to let my new born daughter play grand theft auto 5?

(54 Posts)
tiggerpigger Fri 11-Oct-13 22:01:03

Im really into it at the moment, and my daughter (first baby) is due to be induced on monday. Would it be bad if we played it together??

spritesoright Sat 12-Oct-13 14:07:47

Of course it's fine and babies just like the snuggle. DH perfected the art of balancing the baby on his chest while playing Xbox.
You might be surprised though at your newfound intolerance to violence once DD is born. I think it's the hormones or just some innate desire to protect your child (who is so very tiny and vulnerable when they arrive). But I found even the news too upsetting to watch after DD was born and didn't make it through a Hitchcock movie that had only a hint of violence.
I'm desensitised again now DD is 2!

spritesoright Sat 12-Oct-13 14:08:19

Of course it's fine and babies just like the snuggle. DH perfected the art of balancing the baby on his chest while playing Xbox.
You might be surprised though at your newfound intolerance to violence once DD is born. I think it's the hormones or just some innate desire to protect your child (who is so very tiny and vulnerable when they arrive). But I found even the news too upsetting to watch after DD was born and didn't make it through a Hitchcock movie that had only a hint of violence.

spritesoright Sat 12-Oct-13 14:08:30

spritesoright Sat 12-Oct-13 14:08:36

spritesoright Sat 12-Oct-13 14:09:39

EeTraceyluv Sat 12-Oct-13 14:10:09

I never played them games - I was too busy smoking capstan full strength.

dontyouknow Sat 12-Oct-13 16:05:19

Glad it wasn't just me! Breastfeeding v shaped cushions were great - both hands free for the playstation controller! Although DD always seemed to know when I had nearly defeated an end of level baddie and distracted me with a big chomp.

spritesoright Sun 13-Oct-13 13:41:08

spritesoright Sun 13-Oct-13 13:43:21

So sorry about all the repeats.phone just stalled and now this...

Bioware told me on twitter that, if I managed to complete ME3 before Commander Foetus was born, it would be destined for greatness.

Destined for no bloody sleep more like... Commander Toddler is bouncing around her cot,bedtime having been an hour ago hmm

usualsuspect Sun 13-Oct-13 19:54:31

I didn't quite catch what you said,sprite.

Varya Sun 13-Oct-13 19:56:49

Book her into Uni @ six months.

HereComesHoneyBooBooDragon Sun 13-Oct-13 19:59:00

Well Sprite made a couple of interesting points.

I say go for it, you'll have the time. It's not like you are expecting triplets and have a pit bull to look after.

ShreddedHoops Sun 13-Oct-13 20:51:23

Ace plan OP. I played countless games of Scrabble, FarmVille and Draw Something on iPad - I should have been more constructive with my time and played GTA sad

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Oct-13 20:58:14

But you'll need to plan ahead so you can get the beeer, Doritos and fags all to hand before you settle down with her.

It's all in the planning....

Kiwiinkits Sun 13-Oct-13 21:25:27

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think YABU. Babies find flashing screens very overwhelming. It may be great for you to play video games but your baby will find it very tiring. No screens until one year old, is a good rule of thumb.

spritesoright Wed 16-Oct-13 19:40:28

"Babies find flashing screens overwhelming" Really?! Based on what research? DD barely noticed the TV at that age. I think you are being a bit over the top with your TV bias.
It's not as though OP is proposing sitting the baby directly in front of the screen for hours.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Wed 16-Oct-13 19:44:40

A bit late isn't it, the baby should be playing it in utero

gamerchick Wed 16-Oct-13 19:45:06

Breastfeeding is how I got into gaming.

Kiwi really? I've never met a newborn who looks at a telly. Get a grip man.

TwoEightTwoEightTwoOh Wed 16-Oct-13 19:45:19

I was gutted at being unable to breastfeed with DD2. Bottle feeding takes both hands, and with DD1 I got to the top of my mafia on Mafia Wars AND learned French via Rosetta Stone. Now all I can do is watch Jeremy Kyle and dream...

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 16-Oct-13 19:49:25

DS1 came along a few weeks after Skyrim, so had to play it during naps or with him on my chest.

DS2 came along before GTA V and I've not even bought it yet.

Who knew that having kids would interfere with gaming so much?! It's one way to stop teenager boys having sex, babies=less COD time thlshock

GruffBillyGoat Thu 17-Oct-13 12:11:35

With the auto-aim in that game I am sure she would be just fine. Though maybe avoid showing her the torture scene, that slightly traumatised a 26 year old male friend of mine.

Kiwiinkits Sat 19-Oct-13 16:20:38

I haven't lost my grip. Screens aren't great for babies (even the very young ones). Just google 'effects screens babies' and see what comes up. It's worthwhile reading up on it if you plan to have them in front of a screen with you. It's better to know the possible effects, right?

AnaisHellWitch Sat 19-Oct-13 16:55:16

My DS looked at my boob me not my screen. Are they now proven to be bad for the back of baby's heads?

Heartbrokenmum73 Sat 19-Oct-13 16:59:03

YABU because baby should surely be playing one of the Zelda games, the greatest games ever made!

GTA, bah...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now