to think that thin people don't get asked this question?

(42 Posts)
poachedeggs Fri 11-Oct-13 07:07:34

Or perhaps I'm being hypersensitive. But it really pisses me off!

Twice recently I've bumped into acquaintances when I've been setting off on a bike ride. Both times they've been really surprised and asked "Are you trying to get fit?".

Now I'm not a skinny type. I'm size 18. However, I exercise 2-3 times a week and walk daily. I can keep up when a group of us ride and I have good stamina. I rode 20 miles off road on Saturday, comfortably. I do all of this for convenience and pleasure, nothing more. I feel like because I'm fat people assume I must be trying to change myself.

So do thin people get asked this too?

Takingbackmonday Fri 11-Oct-13 14:42:06

I'm a 6-8 and regularly get told I don't need to go to the gym, which is equally irritating.

Deffo not disputing that its rude, it is. I wouldn't dream of asking the questions a lot of people ask!

poachedeggs Fri 11-Oct-13 13:25:49

Hully grin

It's a passing comment, which is actually a thinly veiled judgement. In my often hormonal head they're actually saying "What are you doing on a bike, you fat hog? You shouldwho tucking into a burger and chips. This does not compute."

It makes me imagine asking someone who was off for a facial "Are you trying to sort your skin out?". It's rude.

Blissx Fri 11-Oct-13 13:15:03

I have lost count of the times people have commented that I look "anorexic" to "ill" and I just happen to be a tall 9 stone. This started from school right to the present. Have had strangers in swimming baths tell me this. So no, YABU that thin people also get abuse (and it seems more "acceptable" for some reason) although I agree, no one should have comments aimed at them for any reason.

Hullygully Fri 11-Oct-13 12:57:33

I'm really really thin and I get asked that all the time.

Or would if I had a bike, ever rode it and was thin, I bet

SparkyTGD Fri 11-Oct-13 12:54:49

I think they may be trying to ask "are you trying to lose weight?" but don't want to be so rude.

People do associate slimness with fitness and I don't think a slim person would be so likely to be asked the question.

Dahlen Fri 11-Oct-13 12:53:26

I think it's probably one of those inane things people say out of habit, not dissimilar to "want to come and do mine next?" when people spot you mowing the lawn.

TrinityRhino Fri 11-Oct-13 12:49:30

I'm a size 12 and when I was a 10 and I bought a push bike I got asked this a lot

I'm exceedingly unfit

like seriously unfit

most intelligent people realise that fitness isn't being slim

Sukebind Fri 11-Oct-13 12:46:13

No, YANBU. If the people saying this just wanted to be friendly/make conversation they could just say they hope you enjoy your ride or whatever. That said, I don't think you can justify anything other than an (overly?) cheery clarification that you love cycling and go out a fair bit. Then whizz off!
My own weight tends to yo-yo and when thinner I get told I don't 'need' to go the gym and asked why I am going. Rubbish. I wish people just wouldn't comment on weight especially as I have a recurring EDNOS.

KatoPotato Fri 11-Oct-13 12:16:18

People can generally just be weird. I've lost 5 stone over the past 18months, through exercise and diet.

I dropped a kettlebell on my foot at the gym so missed a catch up with some old friends, and they were positively squealing with glee that this had happened?

'ooooh, excercise isn't good for your health then? haha!'

'haha glad I just spent the morning in bed with tea and cake!'

No actual sympathy, despite me really injuring myself!

Coupon Fri 11-Oct-13 12:01:42

YANBU. It's a patronising question which they wouldn't ask someone they perceived to be fit. Your reply "No, I just like cycling" is a good answer. There are so many nicer things they could say like "great weather for cycling" or even "how are you?"!

I'm slim and I get asked if I'm on a diet every time I have hummus for lunch in work. Have taken to reading out the fat content on the side.. I also get a sainthood 'ooh, you're very good' when I cycle into work.. its ten minutes away! People just have to fill the air with unnecessary crap.

MikeReepySpooksard Fri 11-Oct-13 11:20:31

*thin, not think!

MikeReepySpooksard Fri 11-Oct-13 11:20:12

I've been fat and think. I don't think I've ever been asked that. Clearly I've never given anyone the impression I'm trying to get fit wouldn't know exercise if it bit me on my lazy arse but I did recently ask a think friend if he was trying to get fit because he started to cycle to work. It was a yes and no, but mainly because he'd recently moved closer to work as it happens, so now lived close enough to cycle in.

CrapBag Fri 11-Oct-13 11:13:04

Tell them to watch that programme that was on last night (should be on BBC iplayer maybe) on BBC, something about ask the doctor or something like that.

They showed people lined up according to their BMI, then again after measuring how much fat was in their bodies, then they tested their actual fitness and made them line up again. The results were very interesting. The bigger people who were classed as obese were the fitter ones!

LessMissAbs Fri 11-Oct-13 11:10:21

I don't see a lot of thin people around. When I do, they often look ill and so I wouldn't ask them this. I do however see plenty of slim people around, and if I were the sort of person who asks that sort of question, and hadn't previously seen them on a bike, I would probably ask a slim person it.

WorraLiberty Fri 11-Oct-13 11:04:00

It's probably got nothing to do with your weight and more to do with the fact so many people drive everywhere, rather than cycle or walk.

GrendelsMum Fri 11-Oct-13 09:27:48

With me, it's always something like 'ooh, you're very good', or 'ooh, you must be fit' when they hear I cycle in to work. It's only 30mins,so I don't feel qualified for sainthood just yet...

UriGHOULer Fri 11-Oct-13 09:27:26

Thin people get asked, "are you alright? You look tired" and "Have you eaten?" And "Oh, we're going out for a meal but you won't be interested, will you?"
And <headtilt> "You're very thin, aren't you?"

People just want to say something.

I am thin ish. Used to be a lot thinner, people always used to ask me if I was trying to keep fit when I cycled to work.
Maybe it's just one of those silly things you just say, instead of talking about the weather, holidays etc.

stowsettler Fri 11-Oct-13 09:05:36

Surely it's whether people are used to it or not? I am by no means thin, but I am quite fit and do a lot of exercise. No-one comments if I'm out for a run or off down the gym because they're used to it.

HighJinx Fri 11-Oct-13 09:00:07

YANBU people have a totally skewed that exercise is nothing more than a way to get/stay slim.

I also get a bit irritated by the people who make comments about my going running or for a bike ride that are clearly said just to make them feel better about the fact that they don't exercise when there is no need to say anything at all.

HopeS01 Fri 11-Oct-13 08:46:38

I totally agree OP, YANBU

People make assumptions rightly or wrongly. I have lost a fair bit of weigh on my health/gym kick and get all sorts of ridiculous comments made to me.

poachedeggs Fri 11-Oct-13 08:19:39

That's the thing flip, I've been cycling for a year and a half and before that I used to run. It's not a change. These are acquaintances who know me via my job or the DC. They presumably expect me to be lying on a sofa eating Dairy Milk, not setting off into the darkness on a bike.

I only lie on the sofa eating Dairy Milk a few days a week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now