to ask those with nice, clean tidy home how you do it.

(159 Posts)
FortyDoorsToNowhere Thu 10-Oct-13 21:38:35

I have spent 11 hours already this week trying to sort this house out. I have got rid of a lot of junk, but still have my wardrobe to sort out ( another 2 hours) as it is full of junk, clean the cooker and also do my nets and windows.

How the fudge do people manage to keep a nice, clean and tidy home.

No doubt by next week my house will be back to square one.

UserError Tue 15-Oct-13 16:33:03

By 'actually being useful' I mean I don't give him little jobs to keep busy, where it doesn't matter if they're done properly or not. I started doing that and then thought 'Why?'. So I came up with jobs he can do that actually make a difference to the household. He dusts the TV/TiVo box/PS3 too, with a mini duster.

UserError Tue 15-Oct-13 16:30:44

We're very slowly getting there. The Unfuck My Habitat app is much better than the Tumblr and it has quite literally saved my sanity. The trick is not to rely so much on the random challenges, but set your own to-do list instead.

I give my toddler jobs. He has ASD but is perfectly capable of helping and actually being useful. His current job is putting the recycling into the box outside, once I've sorted and washed it and made sure there are no sharp bits. He also likes helping to rip up cardboard boxes.

valiumredhead Tue 15-Oct-13 14:40:47

Or risk it being binned

valiumredhead Tue 15-Oct-13 14:40:09

Dh is a natural hoarder and I gather his stuff together and say 'keep or bin?' Anything that gets kept has to go away properly either in his garage or wardrobe it risk being binnedgrin

CoTananat Tue 15-Oct-13 14:36:05

I agree with you wholeheartedly quoteunquote. We always had things to do in the house as children. At 12 I was cooking the main meal one night a week, for sure.

Some friends of my parents were very shocked once on holiday to find their kids doing the washing up and sweeping the floor before going out to play. They were initially quite angry but came round, as my parents tell it, by their youngest weeping and begging to be allowed to do her bit like all the others.

I have never enjoyed housework, but I've alway felt competent and capable around it. And I would not like to be the sort of person who did not do their bit. Urgh. On reflection, as I've unconsciously said this twice, this must have been how it was sold to me: doing my bit, contributing, being part of a team. It's good to have team mates; it feels good, like you've got power beyond yourself.

My mum was a v good teacher (one of those superteachers who was parachuted into places) who worked with kids with profound behavioural problems though, so she was basically a child wizard who could not be beaten. V frustrating as a natural brat rebel, I can tell you.

LimitedEditionLady Tue 15-Oct-13 12:47:13

Haha is this a room sized box?heehee i like to sometimes bin random crap of others because i know they dont remember even having it!

KittiesInsane Tue 15-Oct-13 12:38:31

Good plan. I'll locate and hide my own stuff, then suggest DH makes a nice large box for everything else.

LimitedEditionLady Tue 15-Oct-13 12:35:37

Kitties i put all this stuff in a box and say "look thtough that,do you want this?'and if alll else fails make a cupboard for their crap...

KittiesInsane Tue 15-Oct-13 11:45:40

'if you don't use it get rid of it'

But very little of it is mine! God knows what they all use it for, or even what half of it is, but someone else needs to identify it all.

CuriosityCola Mon 14-Oct-13 19:02:39

Glad you are feeling on top of it all forty.

CuriosityCola Mon 14-Oct-13 19:00:52

Another one who lives by flylady. I like the fact that my house is always visitor ready now. I used to have to run around pushing things in cupboards and cleaning like a possessed woman. smilegrin

Dh and I often split the tasks. So if it's 15 mins tidying your wardrobe. We will do our own for 15 mins. Or will both just do 7 mins. Twice the amount done in the same time or the 7 min option if we are too busy. Always set your timer!

I had a cleaner, but it wasn't tackling the under lying problem that all the cupboards and drawers were a mess. Flylady works on rotation so a one hour quick clean once a week and a 15 min daily task. That can be just pulling out your sofas and hoovering underneath. Much easier than doing everything at once, but you end up with a house far cleaner than someone doing 3 hours every couple of weeks.

LimitedEditionLady Mon 14-Oct-13 18:52:38

I agree with if you dont use it get rid of it.I focus on one room every couple of months to make space,i donate stuff to charity,give clothes to family and bin other stuff.You need to find a place for everyrhing to go,you cant tidy if theres no where to tidy it to.youll just be moving it from room to room forever.i wash up through the day,wipe stuff down,change the beds and do the rest in the evening when ds is in bed.I also iron a whole wash load as soon as its dry,no hanging about in baskets and put it away staraight away properly.its not always easy but if you just get the get up and go itll be fine

FortyDoorsToNowhere Mon 14-Oct-13 17:32:01

Totally knackered now, sheer determination has made me do it.

It helps that both DC are in school so have Monday afternoons and Fridays to keep on top of it now it's sorted.

DontMentionThePrunes Mon 14-Oct-13 17:30:03

'Percher' is a perfect word grin

We are all perchers in my house, sadly.

FortyDoors I am envious. Enjoy it!

FortyDoorsToNowhere Mon 14-Oct-13 17:23:51

Update, now the house is sorted and everything has a place and got storage it's now complete for the first time in 4 years my house is spotless.

Got a new routine and going to do 1 extra thing a day. Like today as it is not a working day I have cleaned the cooker ( thanks for the dishwasher tablet tip)

encyclogirl Mon 14-Oct-13 14:14:53

Storage is the key for us. A place for everything means surfaces are always clear and easier to see and therefore clean.

Dh tends to be a bit of a 'percher' though. Leaves things perched in unusual places then goes blind to the fact they are there. He ruins my artfully arranged bookcases and mantles with his endless perching of crap.

Of course when I move them to where they are supposed to be he can't find them hmm

Retroformica Sun 13-Oct-13 19:41:53

Chuck out as much as you can. Less crap = less mess

KeatsiePie Sun 13-Oct-13 19:08:41

I was raised Presbyterian (grandparents were missionaries) and re: the Presbyterian work ethic, YES. TOTALLY. So the things we had to do, we had to do well. But I don't think we were expected to do nearly enough. My DM did way too much housework and cooking on her own.

I realized recently I hate making beds b/c my DM always did it. I don't mind doing dishes b/c it was my job growing up. My DM and I talked on the phone about this and it all lined up -- almost everything I had to do as a child, I don't mind doing. Anything that was not my job, I am more irritated by it. So I think it really matters what DCs actively do, not just see you doing!

ZingDollyChops Sun 13-Oct-13 17:33:38

<opens notebook>

valiumredhead Sun 13-Oct-13 17:27:52

Yep, I'm nodding in agreement la queen.

LaQueenForADay Sun 13-Oct-13 17:25:49

Basically, I don't allow much in the way of clutter to accumulate in our house. I'm really quite ruthless - I keep a couple of pretty boxes for keepsakes...the DDs keep scrapbooks for their keepsakes (Paperchase do lovely ones)...but pretty much all else gets thrown away, quite quickly.

Remember, if everything has sentimental value, then nothing actually does wink

From being toddlers I have trained the DDs to hang their coats up, put their shoes/book bags away, fold their clothes over their bedroom chairs, put dirty clothes in washing basket.

Essentially, I maintain a very low level, constant state of tidying - so that untidiness never gets chance to build up, and to make a room look tidy takes just moments (rather than an hour).

At bedtime the DDs always spend just 10 mins straightening their playroom/bedrooms (if done every day, it only takes 10 mins). Then as they're showering I turn down their beds, check which uniform can be re-used, close curtains, turn lamps on...basically make their bedrooms cosy, ready for sleeping.

I use disposable loo wipes, whch I use all the time so our toilets are always clean to use.

I use our tumble dryer loads and time it effectively so that I can take clothes out still warm, shake and smooth them, hang 'em up...very rarely iron anything other than DH's shirts.

valiumredhead Sun 13-Oct-13 17:15:44

All day?shock

Mojavewonderer Sun 13-Oct-13 16:50:51

I clean and tidy my house all day. It's never ending but I am very lucky in that I don't work and my children while are messy keep it to their rooms smile can't stand having a untidy and/or dirty house.
My husband loves how tidy I am because his ex was so disgusting she used to hide dirty nappies behind the sofa because she was too lazy to pop them in the bin! I think the final straw was when he found a dead rat among them.

valiumredhead Sun 13-Oct-13 14:47:40

It's amazing!

hermioneweasley Sun 13-Oct-13 14:41:43

Ooo, I like that oven door/ dishwasher tablet tip. I'll be trying that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now