Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not warn this woman at work?

(51 Posts)
boardcreche Thu 10-Oct-13 09:04:18

posted before about a work colleague who was making my life a misery and whether or not to go to HR... decided not to as I thought I could play that game too kind of thing... HOWEVER... have just found out through some higher up contacts in work that we have a major shake up coming up in the dept. One that she will hate and affects her to the point that she might leave - i would if i were her - but if she knew about it now she might be able to get herself in a better position come the changes.
I am torn. at first I thought, ha serves her right, but now feel guilty and feel I should give her heads up as someone has for me. If these changes happen they way i have heard BTW I wont have to worry about her at all whatever happens.
Do I warn her? Or leave her to it? The only other thing is the info is confidential and if i warned her and she blabbed on me I and my ' informants' could get in big trouble. she is a gossip but i assume she would keep this to herself

zoobaby Fri 11-Oct-13 10:10:32

Maybe she's already keeping this info confidential. Possibly already planning to nab herself a better position. If I were you, I'd concentrate on whatever implications I could mitigate against for myself.

shewhowines Fri 11-Oct-13 09:48:56

Karma is a bitch grin

She might know anyway. If she does would she tell you? Nope, didn't think so.

LimitedEditionLady Fri 11-Oct-13 09:08:38

If you arent meant to know then YOU DONT KNOW.

PosyNarker Thu 10-Oct-13 16:11:21

It's confidential, you don't like her and she's making life unpleasant for you.

Can't see any reason to risk sharing with her to be frank.

difficultpickle Thu 10-Oct-13 15:33:44

You don't know that she doesn't already know. She may have her own sources. If you tell her and she already knows then she will tell those that told her, and you will be in trouble for breaching confidences. If she doesn't know and you tell her she may create such a fuss that it comes back to you. I can't see any reason why you would want to tell her. If you keep that confidential info to yourself and your sources know this then they may be forthcoming with further confidential info in future that could help you.

JustinBsMum Thu 10-Oct-13 15:26:45

One of the bosses could be run over by a bus tomorrow morning and the big changes coming up could all be cancelled.

You are assuming things which might not happen. Don't say anything.

Idespair Thu 10-Oct-13 15:24:24

I don't understand the dilemma. The info in confidential so you'd be taking a risk telling her. I can see why someone might be torn re whether to take the risk for a very close friend but this woman is nasty and horrible! Don't tell her!

DontmindifIdo Thu 10-Oct-13 15:20:44

Just to join the other saying don't tell her. You can justify it if it comes out later that you knew by saying it was told to you in confidence, by not telling her you are doing the right thing.

Aniseeda Thu 10-Oct-13 15:15:40

Don't tell her

and don't tell anyone else either. It won't go well for you or the person who told you (and shouldn't have!)

boardcreche Thu 10-Oct-13 14:25:33

to answer why I would think about helping her out with info - i do feel soory for her a bit because shes an unhappy person = why she is so difficult at work but mainly cos i know shes a single mum who has had a horrible divorce and a change in employment would make things hard for her
i AM taking advice and keeping quiet tho.

donnie Thu 10-Oct-13 13:09:11

keep silent - if you are found out to have revealed confidential info it could seriously affect your employment situation and record.

mydoorisalwaysopen Thu 10-Oct-13 13:00:49

All not ask.

mydoorisalwaysopen Thu 10-Oct-13 13:00:27

You are going to take this advice, aren't you OP? Don't tell for ask the reasons already given.

She is a bully.
You want to be nice to her so she likes you doesn't bully you.
Do you think this will work?

DOn't tell her - and just sit back and enjoy the scene. Karma. grin

Tuppenceinred Thu 10-Oct-13 12:47:54

It's confidential - you have no choice - say nothing.

oldgrandmama Netherlands Thu 10-Oct-13 11:41:42

No-brainer ... keep out of it.

eurochick Thu 10-Oct-13 11:37:37

God no.

It's confidential.
She could blab and make things bad for you and your source.
Why would you want to help someone who has made your life difficult?

Suzieismyname Thu 10-Oct-13 11:35:09

Don't say anything. ..

Tanith Thu 10-Oct-13 11:32:29

It's not your information to share.

If someone lent you £100, would you give it to her? Might help you to see things in perspective.

I'd also have a good think about just why you feel the need to put yourself and others into a vulnerable position and destroy your reputation for trustworthiness in order to appease someone you dislike. You could be a sitting duck for the next unpleasant work colleague otherwise.

ScrambledSmegs Netherlands Thu 10-Oct-13 10:48:17

It's confidential. You are not only NBU, you are positively virtuous in not passing on the information.

Retroformica Thu 10-Oct-13 10:15:57

You shouldn't break confidentiality. Put your friends first. Don't get them in to trouble

another one for do not tell
good luck with all the changes

havatry Thu 10-Oct-13 10:09:26

No keep it to yourself. Chances are the person who blabbed to you will blab to her anyway. Stay well out of it.

BloodiedGhouloshes Thu 10-Oct-13 10:07:32

Info is confidential.

That is all.

Milkjug Thu 10-Oct-13 10:07:23

Your post makes no sense to me. Why on earth would you put your own professional reputation and job on the line to break a confidentiality agreement for someone who makes your working life difficult, and who is an indiscreet gossip who would be very likely to name the source of the 'leak'????

Why not simply sit back, wait for events to transpire and nastily enjoy her being discomfited without you having had to lift a finger?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now