to think this head has just realised being a head isn't as easy as she thought?

(40 Posts)
kim147 Wed 09-Oct-13 22:46:33

www.theguardian.com/education/2013/oct/09/free-school-head-no-teaching-qualifications-leaves-job

Pimlico academy Primary. New free school appointed a 27 yr old headteacher who hadn't actually qualified as a teacher. She had some experience doing some teacher training, some support work and was also part of the right wing think tank, Civitas working on educational reforms.

School opened in September. She has now left to pursue other opportunites in primary education.

"Sources close to the academy say she was finding it difficult to cope with the workload. One local teacher, who did not want to be named, said he was surprised that such an inexperienced candidate had been selected.

"She was not happy because she could not cope with the job, full stop. It was too much to learn, too quickly."

It's easy in theory but difficult in practice. I hope her time has been valuable.

nlondondad Sun 13-Oct-13 23:09:00
Namechangesforthehardstuff Fri 11-Oct-13 23:30:48

smile Ah well. It's funny what nostalgia can do. I found myself almost missing the old building t'other day.

Scaredycat3000 Fri 11-Oct-13 09:46:10

Name We do probably know each other, but don't panic, I've left London so we're not going to bump into each other grin

cory Fri 11-Oct-13 07:11:27

I googled E.D. Hirsch and the lists of facts-that-your-child-needs-to-know-by-age-X which have been published in the UK following his ideas. They are totally random. Just what the listmaker happened to think of at the time.

Reminds me of our childminder who thought 3yo ds might have a language delay since he didn't know the word for a baby goat. As there are very few goats in the urban area where we live and as he was quite capable of distinguishing between a male and female mallard, I found it difficult to believe that there was anything much wrong with either his cognitive skills or his language ability.

cory Fri 11-Oct-13 07:09:30

So she got the job because she knew a lot about the fashionable theory that knowing facts matters more than skills in education.

And failed at the job because she didn't have the relevant skills.

Would there be a lesson in here somewhere?

PansOnFire Thu 10-Oct-13 23:11:46

When it comes to teaching, everyone is the bloody expert...then they try it.

I'm laughing at this, what an arrogant and stupid woman to think she'd be able to run a school when she hasn't even trained as a teacher. I'm all for the idea of free schools but are parents really happy to let unqualified teachers teach their children? Most teachers I know get so much stick and questioning from parents that to not have any qualifications would be professional suicide, parents seem to want to know the far end of your educational qualifications.

Namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 10-Oct-13 23:05:28

Ha ha smile we probably know each other don't we? I might need to run off and namechange before I out meself...

Scaredycat3000 Thu 10-Oct-13 22:37:05

Name I know she's been there years, shes out lasted them all and for good reason. I've no idea about interim, I hope not. 'Future' mould, shudder, I forgot about that!

Namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 10-Oct-13 22:16:23

Scaredycat - she is lovely. And she's been there for years doing a pretty thankless task.

So I hope they have the good sense to keep her on as I think this is an interim thing no? I am wondering whether her face might not fit the 'Future' mould...

Bea Thu 10-Oct-13 20:59:27

flippin' nora! how on earth do they think this could have worked?????

Ditto SomethingOnce... shouldn't laugh but...oh no I should!
Ha! Ha!!!

would love to know what the gossip on the playground is like!

Scaredycat3000 Thu 10-Oct-13 20:20:15

I'm begining to think being head teacher of Pimlico school primary or secondary is a bad idea. Jo ended up in court, Phil 'left' suddenly, the woman before him didn't fair to well ether. All the best for the current head of the secondary, she's lovely.

noblegiraffe Thu 10-Oct-13 19:04:31

Is there a teacher in the country who thought this was a good idea?

Interesting to see something that Gove thinks is fine fail so spectacularly, and so quickly. Perhaps teachers do know what they are talking about when they say going to school is no qualification for being in charge of education. As a head, or a secretary of state.

Namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 10-Oct-13 18:44:43

I went to the initial information event for Free Schools. After all the posturing from Gove the first question from the audience was 'Will we be allowed to teach creationism?' and the second was 'You talked about making sure you appoint good teachers, do you have any ideas about how we could do that?'

Fucking shocking.

nlondondad Thu 10-Oct-13 18:16:06

It also highlights that one of the "freedoms" Free Schools have is to ignore all the recruitment rules, including competitive appointments on merit.

Also in an ordinary state school the appointment (and for that matter removal) of a Head is a matter for the school governing body so parents are involved in the decision through their elected representatives. In Free Schools this decision is entirely one for the Trust ie the sponsor. The school GB (of which in any case a majority are appointed by the Trust) has no say.

Namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 10-Oct-13 17:47:39

Just read Guardian bit on it - apparently Lord Nash is now a junior schools' minister. WTF? Credibility gap much?

georgedawes Thu 10-Oct-13 09:20:17

I think what is so disturbing is the fact it'll have no impact on her probably stellar career and she'll become head of education policy somewhere or other, and in fact she'll say she was "successful at setting up a free school" rather than acknowledging it was all a bit of a failure really.

I don't think her career should be mothballed, far from it, but these sort of people always come out smelling of roses don't they?

kim147 Thu 10-Oct-13 09:10:58

I'm sure the parents won't be too impressed. A head lasting 1 month.

NatashaBee Thu 10-Oct-13 03:52:22

Exactly MidniteScribbler.

MidniteScribbler Thu 10-Oct-13 01:21:19

There are lots of jobs where you don't have to do tge job to be tge boss

I could have no respect for a head who had not done their time on the coalface. How can they really understand what my job entails if they haven't done it?

Mimishimi Thu 10-Oct-13 01:02:05

No, she's just climbing the ladder for other positions and her brief stint as head will be explained away, as it has been, by the explanation that her intention was to merely set everything up before heading into admin where her probable wacky theories can go into education policy without having to go through the inconvenient stage of actually trying them out in a real classroom setting first. It's nothing new. Me, cynical?

SomethingOnce Thu 10-Oct-13 00:55:49

Because I felt a bit mean for laughing.

Don't worry, I'm over it now grin

BoundandRebound Wed 09-Oct-13 23:36:55

I am speechless

ClayDavis Wed 09-Oct-13 23:34:39

Education Secretary. She's now overqualified for that position.

ClayDavis Wed 09-Oct-13 23:34:12

Why not Something? I am as is everyone else I think. What is it they say about pride coming before a fall?

kim147 Wed 09-Oct-13 23:32:21

She's done a lot for a 27yr old. Where does she go next?

OFSTED
Government

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now