to think this head has just realised being a head isn't as easy as she thought?

(40 Posts)
kim147 Wed 09-Oct-13 22:46:33

www.theguardian.com/education/2013/oct/09/free-school-head-no-teaching-qualifications-leaves-job

Pimlico academy Primary. New free school appointed a 27 yr old headteacher who hadn't actually qualified as a teacher. She had some experience doing some teacher training, some support work and was also part of the right wing think tank, Civitas working on educational reforms.

School opened in September. She has now left to pursue other opportunites in primary education.

"Sources close to the academy say she was finding it difficult to cope with the workload. One local teacher, who did not want to be named, said he was surprised that such an inexperienced candidate had been selected.

"She was not happy because she could not cope with the job, full stop. It was too much to learn, too quickly."

It's easy in theory but difficult in practice. I hope her time has been valuable.

ClayDavis Wed 09-Oct-13 23:11:26

Sadly I suspect this was inevitable. What a massive waste of time and resources.

LovesBeingOnHoliday Wed 09-Oct-13 23:15:00

Love how she's tge one getting tge heat. There are lots of jobs where you don't have to do tge job to be tge boss

ravenAK Wed 09-Oct-13 23:16:28

Teaching, for example, isn't one of them.

Namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 09-Oct-13 23:16:39

I know the school very very very well. And am I surprised? <tries to arrange face into surprised shape, gives up>

Lilacroses Wed 09-Oct-13 23:17:24

Ditto ClayDavis. What a ridiculous situation. The Headteacher at the school I work in is absolutely fantastic but she works 7 days a week. On school days she is at work from 7am till at least 6.30 and most weeks she has meetings till much later. At the weekend she works several hours a day. We are so lucky to have her, I would not do the job for double the money.

Namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 09-Oct-13 23:18:10

Bring a head is all about directing teaching and learning. She isn't a teacher, she knows fuck all about either.

Bet the sponsors are very pleased.

BillyBanter Wed 09-Oct-13 23:21:28

Is she the one that was on telly when offered the job saying ooh, no I'll be absolutely fine. It's a brill idea.

Nettymania Wed 09-Oct-13 23:23:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kim147 Wed 09-Oct-13 23:23:30

They've now appointed someone with more experience:

"Dear Pimlico Primary families,

I am writing to let you know that having successfully set up and opened Pimlico Primary, Annaliese Briggs has decided to leave Future Academies to pursue other opportunities within primary education.

A new Principal of Pimlico Primary has been appointed. Coming from within the group, our new Principal is already known to you and your children, and brings over ten years experience in both Early Years and leadership.

We are delighted that Annaliese will continue to support Pimlico Primary as it grows by becoming a governor.

Yours sincerely,

ClayDavis Wed 09-Oct-13 23:24:54

I'm sure you are right, Loves. But this particular job was never going to be one of them. As much as I think she has been used as a scape goat she is not entirely blameless. She knew as well as anybody else what she was getting herself into and how it was likely to turn out.

Namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 09-Oct-13 23:26:27

Ooooh, Kim who is it? Name names...

kim147 Wed 09-Oct-13 23:27:39

I've no idea. I just went to the website.

But they've got experience which counts for a lot when observing and being responsible for teaching and learning.

Namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 09-Oct-13 23:27:48

September's barely bloody out. That must be the quickest departure ever. Poor love.

SomethingOnce Wed 09-Oct-13 23:30:47

I shouldn't laugh...

kim147 Wed 09-Oct-13 23:32:21

She's done a lot for a 27yr old. Where does she go next?

OFSTED
Government

ClayDavis Wed 09-Oct-13 23:34:12

Why not Something? I am as is everyone else I think. What is it they say about pride coming before a fall?

ClayDavis Wed 09-Oct-13 23:34:39

Education Secretary. She's now overqualified for that position.

BoundandRebound Wed 09-Oct-13 23:36:55

I am speechless

SomethingOnce Thu 10-Oct-13 00:55:49

Because I felt a bit mean for laughing.

Don't worry, I'm over it now grin

Mimishimi Thu 10-Oct-13 01:02:05

No, she's just climbing the ladder for other positions and her brief stint as head will be explained away, as it has been, by the explanation that her intention was to merely set everything up before heading into admin where her probable wacky theories can go into education policy without having to go through the inconvenient stage of actually trying them out in a real classroom setting first. It's nothing new. Me, cynical?

MidniteScribbler Thu 10-Oct-13 01:21:19

There are lots of jobs where you don't have to do tge job to be tge boss

I could have no respect for a head who had not done their time on the coalface. How can they really understand what my job entails if they haven't done it?

NatashaBee Thu 10-Oct-13 03:52:22

Exactly MidniteScribbler.

kim147 Thu 10-Oct-13 09:10:58

I'm sure the parents won't be too impressed. A head lasting 1 month.

georgedawes Thu 10-Oct-13 09:20:17

I think what is so disturbing is the fact it'll have no impact on her probably stellar career and she'll become head of education policy somewhere or other, and in fact she'll say she was "successful at setting up a free school" rather than acknowledging it was all a bit of a failure really.

I don't think her career should be mothballed, far from it, but these sort of people always come out smelling of roses don't they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now