DDs spelling test.

(19 Posts)
CecilyP Thu 10-Oct-13 14:04:02

YANBU and I think some posters either didn't read your OP properly or are rather missing the point of what you actually asked. If she stuggles with spelling, then it is a complete waste of time and effort to try and learn how to spell words that she (or any other children for that matter) is unlikely to use. If she has difficulty with phonics and patterns then she she already has to make far more effort than other children to learn how to spell and that effort would be better used to focus on learning everyday words that she is going to use a lot in her own writing.

moldingsunbeams Thu 10-Oct-13 13:44:30

Yep I know a typical child would be able to spell better at her age.

I do understand about the patterns and rules, dd does not grasp her phonics well so she cannot see patterns and rules which is half of the issue tbh.

Several of my teacher friends have said they have seperate spelling groups as has been mentioned on here. I wondered if it would be worth having a word with them thats all.

I am very worried about her losing any more self esteem and confidence than she already has sad

PeppiNephrine Thu 10-Oct-13 12:00:59

Ok, well I'm only saying that your typical nt child would have better spelling at her age. I don't know how it would work with literacy help, but if she is meant to do spellings that the rest of the class do rather than a separate set for herself, then i think the words given are fine.

Spelling isn't about learning how individual words are spelled at all, so it doesn't matter if the words are used much. It's about learning patterns of spelling, rules, common letters that make sounds etc, so that you can spell any word regardless of knowing the word in advance.

moldingsunbeams Thu 10-Oct-13 11:40:25

I don't know toad, I have never wrote either of those words and I am 34.
Where would you write it? I am trying to think, even a doctor would write patient is in her seventies rather than that. Maybe if you worked in statistics possibly??

What's her school's idea of basic vocab? Antidisestablishmentarianism?

Why are they teaching y6 children words like the one's you've quoted?

moldingsunbeams Thu 10-Oct-13 11:30:59

Year 6 is ten, she is getting literacy support peppi, she has additional needs.

PeppiNephrine Thu 10-Oct-13 11:04:30

I don't know what age yr 6 is but unless its very young I'd be worried about that spelling, in the bit you copied thats really very poor. Is she getting some particular help with literacy?

froken Thu 10-Oct-13 11:00:30

She spells much better than I did at her age. I have a degree and have had interesting jobs, my crap spelling isn't a problem apart from when pedantic people on mumsnet feel tge need to correct my spelling or disregard my opinion because I am clearly not worth listening to if I can't spell

My advice is to try learning spellings through touch or rhymes. Rhymes are great, "big elephants can accidentally upset small elephants" is a good way of remembering how to spell because, I have an image in my mind of a big elephant stepping on a little elephant's toe, I still think about that when I write because now. You could try to use textured letters, if you stick tge letters to a tray and encourage your dd to feel tge letters with her eyes closed it is another good way of helping her remember stupid unusual spellings ( does, like etc)

Yanbu to expect her teacher to give her appropriate words to learn, you could work through ( I think it is called tge dolch list) the 200 most commonly used words. It would be a great confidence booster as there are lots of words like at, it,and but also harder more obscure spellings but all tge words are useful.

Donkeyok Thu 10-Oct-13 10:42:00

Just realised your dd is in year 6 so 10/11. In my dd Grammar school they stopped doing spelling tests in year 6 and told us parents to get them a small spell checker. This is because they cant be bothered to wade through a dictionary and need to do a lot of proof reading in their essays. They are very small and they keep them in their blazers. My dd is brilliant at English but dreadful speller (I cant either). I was surprised to find out that that don't teach them in year 6 on and the teacher said their were just too many variable and daily reading should familiarise them with correct and challenging words. They did keep their own interesting vocabulary books they had to add a word to each day.

moldingsunbeams Thu 10-Oct-13 09:46:42

Its possible Worra that is the case, she is getting between 12 and 17 out of 20 which is not bad for her. Maybe it is a confidence thing. I just worry as the tests started off easier and then are gradually getting harder her scores are now dropping and I don't want her to lose confidence from it.

Is it normal then for a child that age (not sen) to be able to spell for the test and not remember them the day after? I have no idea never having a child without sen.

WorraLiberty Thu 10-Oct-13 00:17:05

If she can learn them from the tests and get a decent pass, that might be a confidence boost.

Perhaps that's why her teacher thinks she should do them?

StopDoingThat Thu 10-Oct-13 00:06:29

Her text is comprehensible to anyone who chooses to try to understand it. I'd hate for her confidence to be dented by being made to do inappropriate tests.

WorraLiberty Wed 09-Oct-13 23:46:17

Oh I'm sorry, I though she was aged 6.

But what I said still applies.

She can work on those misspelt words with you at home.

WorraLiberty Wed 09-Oct-13 23:44:50

In my experience (and it's only limited to having 3 non SEN kids) that looks quite normal.

My DS's could master a spelling test because they had good memories but as you say, it all goes out the window when writing a story/essay.

Your DD will still be constantly learning the smaller basic words that are commonly misspelt, all through Primary.

As long as the teacher can understand the content (and from what your DD has written, it seems quite clear), the spelling will be a work in progress.

missingmumxox Wed 09-Oct-13 23:42:17

as she is year six, I failed my 11+ I managed 6 grammar schoolers, I suddenly got reading at 9, Spelling after I moved to the USA at 38, spell it like you say it...spelling is hard

missingmumxox Wed 09-Oct-13 23:39:44

she is fine, it is phonic, she will get there, I have a 8 year old who can't read or spell...his writing is a work of art, beautiful he copies like no other, he will get there, but told he is very imaginative they told me he has a great imagination "some stories" I had great delight in saying actually it is true his great grandad did invent that, Oh and that, yes my Mum did live next door to a Doctor Who and Brucie Bonus, aws a child, but the story of the world biggest lolly Pop we built when we live in America, that is a lie, but a funny story,
i have another 8 year old who I was told last week has a reading age of 11/12 is a joy to teach and the teacher said, "it's like talking to an adult on his science...however" his writing is a scrawl,

let your 6 year old learn in their won time.

Donkeyok Wed 09-Oct-13 20:00:55

This week's spellings for my ds 8 yr 4 at Grammar school are: already, musical, electrical, natural, arrival, baby, balloon, before, being, below.
He is the bottom group of 3 and usually gets them right. I'm not even sure I recognised the words on your list!

cashmiriana Wed 09-Oct-13 19:45:03

YANBU
Those spellings do not reflect her needs.
When I taught Y5 / Y6 I had 3 different spelling groups, and children who had additional needs had their own daily spelling / phonics practice based on their individual needs and progress.

moldingsunbeams Wed 09-Oct-13 19:21:06

DD year 6 who has sen didn't do spelling tests last year because she could learn them for the test and then once the test was done she did not remember them at all, she certainly did not understand half the words. This year she is doing them.

Her spelling is terrible.
She has just written the following for her homework.
School uniforms (spelt correctly because its on the sheet she is answering from) are booring but somebody might come in nicer clouse than outhers and course bulling and you can spoil cloice by getting somthing spilles on it by acedent and you can tell wich school your from and coment.

So please tell me why her spelling test consists of septuagenerian, nonagenarian and such.

I don't get it, surely it would be better for her to master the basic words. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now