Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Thanks to the huns thread on here I was forced to have a nosy on the dark side and have discovered something rather interesting.....

(41 Posts)
NameyMcChanger Wed 09-Oct-13 10:57:49

It shows how many views each thread has.

One poor sod on their posting how upset she was because she has no friends had 2438 views yet only 30 replies shock

I'm glad MN doesn't have that option, t'is the ultimate snub imo sad

shewhowines Wed 09-Oct-13 11:03:17

That'll make her feel better sad

Yes I'm glad we don't have that option too. although would be an interesting short term experiment

Sparklymommy Wed 09-Oct-13 12:12:59

That's appalling. Mumsnet is so much better.

TiggyD Wed 09-Oct-13 14:05:14

I don't see the point of view numbers. I will tell Mumsnet not to consider them.

FavoriteThings Wed 09-Oct-13 14:10:44

Dont think it would bother me.

gamerchick Wed 09-Oct-13 14:11:09

See if 30 people have posted then they get an email so go back and have a look. The same people going back over and over each time a reply pops up will rack up the page views. It won't all be people just having a read.
They don't bother me but I could understand it bothering people.

FavoriteThings Wed 09-Oct-13 14:11:29

It would at least mean that her subject title is interesting.

gamerchick Wed 09-Oct-13 14:12:48

And then there's the lurkers who aren't members. Every public board has tons of them.

minihahawithafringe Wed 09-Oct-13 14:13:29

We used to have them,but we had them removxd about two years ago x

everlong Wed 09-Oct-13 14:23:37

What is the point of showing the number of views?

LemonBreeland Wed 09-Oct-13 14:26:36

I remember being on there a long time ago and people were slagging the number of people who had read a sensitive thread but not posted. I felt that maybe you read something then feel you don't know what to say so don't post.

Glad that we don't have them here.

LeGavrOrf Wed 09-Oct-13 14:30:22

Mumsnet never had views did it minihaha? Or are you talking about another site?

I read a forum a while ago, it was useless, can't remember which one but every thread had hundreds of views but hardly any replies.

I don't see it would add anything. Can't imagine mumsnet would introduce if.

TiggyD Wed 09-Oct-13 14:38:36

Do you not find lurkers a bit...creepy?

The idea that loads of people are coming onto a thread just to stare at your doings?

manicinsomniac Brazil Wed 09-Oct-13 14:43:49

A board I used to post on years ago did that - and it was an eating disorders board so full of teens and twenty somethings with self esteem issues. It did cause a fair few flouncings and 'nobody loves mes'!

Lweji Portugal Wed 09-Oct-13 14:48:41

Facebook groups also have numbers of views.

It does't mean much. Lots of people may not have a comment to offer for lots of reasons.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Wed 09-Oct-13 14:49:43

Another website I occasionally use (health related) has this and I think it's horrible. Sometimes a (perfectly reasonable post) will have hundreds of 'views' and not a single reply sad

GinAndIt Wed 09-Oct-13 15:11:42

Mumsnet has never had page views, minihaha. Thank God.

WonderWomanInAOnesie Wed 09-Oct-13 15:15:56

Yes we have this on another forum I use. Members are split cleanly between "it doesn't bother me" and "it's horrible damaging and unnecessary" I swing towards the latter. If you're feeling like shit the last thing you need is to see "100 people have viewed this" when you've had no replies.

Opalite Wed 09-Oct-13 15:40:07

Hi Hunnii Yer It Wood Bover Mee xxxx Hope Mum Snet Dosent Do That xx And xx It Not Nice xx Hun xx

Proud Mumma Of Destinee Luv Hope Joii Cutey-Pie Luvly Born 16478567485647382 Seconds Ago xx Tyson Tyler Taylor Reagen Teagen Feagen Kole Kane Kone Born 827646543764 Seconds Ago xx

Bubba Numba 3 Is In The Woom xx Luv Myy Bumpy xx Bin In Woom 3984756748347 Seconds xx

usualsuspect Wed 09-Oct-13 15:44:38

I wouldn't want MN to do thread views.

I hate all the taking the piss out of Netmums that goes on,on here though.

No need really.

Makes us look like twats.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Wed 09-Oct-13 16:10:07

^ This. Snobby, sneery twats.

BadSeedsAddict Wed 09-Oct-13 16:23:54

I was expecting to find "...a massive bitchy thread about Mumsnet", and am disappointed.

usualsuspect Wed 09-Oct-13 16:27:35

At least netmums loads <grumbles>

Are other people getting the server unavailable message too then usual? I thought it was just me, its not the usual "mumsnet is offline" page, so assumed it was my connection that had the problem?

coldwinter Wed 09-Oct-13 16:35:55

True usual. I have never had netmums go down on me. Mumsnet does it fairly constantly on and off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now