Call from nursery : your daughter's hair has been cut off

(214 Posts)
emoo777 Tue 08-Oct-13 15:35:51

DD is 3 1/2 and we have been growing her lovely blonde hair, so that it was easy to put into a ponytail. I have just had a call from nursery to say the children were 'playing hairdressers' and before they saw what was happening her hair had been massively cut off. It was several inches below her neck and now apparentely can't be put into a ponytail and they suggested I book a hair appointment to even it up!?? WTF?! 3 year olds with scissors and not properly supervised? I haven't seen it yet as I have to work ahead of picking up the children. I can't work though as am furious - I don't know whether to cry or shout. What do I say to them when I pick her up? Surely this shouldn't have happened?
Help!!!
xx

fedupoffeckingschool Sat 12-Oct-13 13:08:38

Omg a pc mouse!! Lucky it wasnt an electric lead!

Have I missed a post from OP since she has met with the Nursery? I saw the one where she had collected her shorn child!

ProphetOfDoom Sat 12-Oct-13 13:26:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KaFayOLay Sat 12-Oct-13 13:29:09

To those that wondered, dd had initial op. A month of 2 weekly visits to hospital and finally plastic surgery.
Small consolation, it was her right hand, she is left handed.
Nursery were startlingly unbothered and even lied on the riddor form sent to HSE.

I'm so sorry KaFay sad
Response from nursery sounds shocking too.
My DBro severely damaged a finger in childhood and it had to be sewn back on (at A&E obvs)

mathanxiety Sun 13-Oct-13 06:44:27

KaFayOLay -- That is horrible and I hope your DD is recovering.

Yes indeed, Fedupoffeckingschool -- lucky is the word. Nurseries that allow small children unsupervised access to scissors are risking far more than haircuts. You can't blame the children if electric cords are cut. It was hair this week, but next week it could be far worse, and staff who can't see that are incredibly foolish.

Apart from the risk of electrocution or fire, how would a child feel if he or she wielded a scissors that blinded another student's eye? Or cut off a finger in a door, etc? Is it really so important for children to learn to cut paper that all other sensible considerations must be thrown out the window while they hone their skills?

I bet any amount of money if a teacher's clothing or hair was the beneficiary of the 'learning from experience with scissors' that is promoted by nursery teachers who lack simple common sense then the scissors would be kept in a safe and children would have to sign for them.

ToggyD Sun 13-Oct-13 08:57:46

You can't eliminate risk. Only reduce it.

PrincessScrumpy Sun 13-Oct-13 09:06:34

Dd1 did this to her friend's hair at a similar age. I was picking up dd and her friend so I had to explain and apologise to the mum. Luckily she was a mum of 3DC and understood these things happen. They are children and nursery staff should supervise yes but if you have a well behaved dc then they will be given more freedom. I don't think it's worth getting too upset about (her hair will probably grow back stronger)

kcumber Sun 13-Oct-13 09:38:55

i would be livid. it's a good job it's only a haircut she ended up with and not some sort of horrible injury.

mathanxiety Sun 13-Oct-13 20:42:02

That is true, Toggy, and since scissors can do so much damage, they should be placed out of reach and only used with supervision. This would reduce the risk significantly.

Throwing your hands up and saying 'accidents will happen no matter what you do' is the opposite of understanding what risk reduction can achieve.

jamdonut Tue 22-Oct-13 19:06:05

I dunno.

I never stopped mine from having scissors at home. Obviously not sharp pointy ones, but round ended,children's scissors. As a result they all have good cutting skills. My daughter did try cutting her bobble out of her hair when she was about five, resulting in me having to cut her hair into a fringe! But they have always,(apart from that moment),been very careful with scissors. They have known from a young age that you don't misuse them or run with them etc.

I do a lot of cutting out at school,especially laminated stuff. I usually use the children's scissors in the classroom. I managed to cut quite a big slice out of my finger with them, when I was distracted for a second! Blood everywhere!! blush hmm

Tracey64 Tue 22-Oct-13 19:33:16

My daughter was a little older than yours when she cut her fringe from almost waist length to a number 1! I stopped looking for felt like a few seconds while I dealt with her older sister. After that I banned her from using scissors. The end result was she started school and at the first parents evening the teacher told me that she was unable to use scissors properly. Accidents happen despite us doing our best to prevent them - and her hair will grow!

Tracey64 Tue 22-Oct-13 19:38:00

My daughter was a little older than yours when she cut her almost waist length fringe to a nymber 1. I turned my back for what felt like a couple of seconds to deal with her older sister and the damage was done. I banned scissors from that point on. When she started school, the teacher told me she was not able to use scissors properly. The moral of the story is that accidents happen despite our best attempts to prevent them - and her hair will grow again.

BakeOLiteGirl Tue 22-Oct-13 21:02:06

There's a difference between a chuck of hair lopped off and a full head of hair butchered which has obviously not taken seconds.

I would be livid if it happened to my child regardless of whether hair grows back or they were happy to let it happen to them. Totally unacceptable from the nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now