Call from nursery : your daughter's hair has been cut off

(214 Posts)
emoo777 Tue 08-Oct-13 15:35:51

DD is 3 1/2 and we have been growing her lovely blonde hair, so that it was easy to put into a ponytail. I have just had a call from nursery to say the children were 'playing hairdressers' and before they saw what was happening her hair had been massively cut off. It was several inches below her neck and now apparentely can't be put into a ponytail and they suggested I book a hair appointment to even it up!?? WTF?! 3 year olds with scissors and not properly supervised? I haven't seen it yet as I have to work ahead of picking up the children. I can't work though as am furious - I don't know whether to cry or shout. What do I say to them when I pick her up? Surely this shouldn't have happened?
Help!!!
xx

Hulababy Wed 09-Oct-13 17:01:38

If a pair of scissors is able to cut paper, then it is able to cut hair.

I don't think there is any form of scissor that is only capable of cutting paper. Some are not really capable of cutting anything at all including paper - though as strands of hair are thinner they would probably still manage that!

moldingsunbeams Wed 09-Oct-13 17:21:13

I once went for lunch on wet playtime when I was a TA and when I came back the teacher who had been in class had turned her back for a couple of minutes to deal with a poorly child and another child had painted his friend blue from hair to toe inc uniform.

Kids do stuff and quickly, I would hope they were safety scissors though.

mathanxiety Thu 10-Oct-13 05:30:08

hmm at the idea that 'free play' can or should involve using scissors unsupervised. I seriously doubt OFSTED is cool with this. Why bother with staff at all if lack of supervision is an educational plus for small children..

[I agree with Dobbiesmum]

ToffeeWhirl Thu 10-Oct-13 17:17:28

Relevant discussion eyfs.info/forums/topic/29839-parents-issues-with-scissors/here about scissor safety and supervision during the Early Years. Looks like hair cutting happens fairly frequently... hmm

Ooh, thanks Toffee, that looks like an interesting forum to explore (work-wise)

mathanxiety Thu 10-Oct-13 22:21:23

On a board where the topic is hair cutting then I would expect the issue of hair cutting to be mentioned a lot, but it doesn't mean it happens frequently in the broader context, or that this is a risk every parent should accept as normal.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 10-Oct-13 22:36:58

No, the topic on that board isn't hair cutting, math; it is parent's issues with scissors.

I don't, incidentally, think what happened to the op's DD was acceptable. I just included the EYFS discussion as background to the discussion.

Personally, I would be very upset and concerned if I was the op.

mathanxiety Fri 11-Oct-13 05:39:36

'Have you done continuous provision planning and a risk assessment for your technology area? Perhaps it is worth showing the parent this risk/benefit information so that she can see the reasoning behind your setting doing things the way you do? Also in reassuring her of all the measures you take to ensure children are taught how to use scissors safely, and how you reinforce the safety message at every session? Whilst you may not have an adult at the workstation every minute, I'm sure the children aren't exactly unsupervised whilst they are there, are they?

Often I shake my head and tut a bit when parents say this kind of thing, until I remember that most parents don't have the training and knowledge we do, and that scissors can be very scary for parents because they see all the dangers and few of the benefits. Sometimes it does feel that we're educating the parents as much as the children, but I think it is vital that we help parents to understand why we do things as much as telling them what we do!'

What a patronising pratt.

The parent (whose daughter's finger received the 'benefit' of free access to a scissors in a zoo nursery classroom) is a hysterical twit who needs to see how rational the teaching staff are, the method behind the madness?

So easy when you're not the parent whose child had her finger cut or her lovely hair shorn. Bloody right we see all of the dangers and few of the benefits, and yes, when children can cut hair or cut a finger they really are as unsupervised as the parent imagines they are, and it is a problem. hmm

mathanxiety Fri 11-Oct-13 05:41:43

'We did have an incident with scissors last year so to cover ourselves should anything happen, we always put 'Give Scissor safety talk before starting activity' in our planning so if anything does happen we can show our planning if something did happen.'

hmm

ToggyD Fri 11-Oct-13 09:05:27

"hmm" if the wind changes you'll stay like that.

Yes, I'm not very keen on the "cover ourselves" comment.
If it reminds an adult to actually talk about being careful then that's slightly different.

mathanxiety Sat 12-Oct-13 07:19:19

It doesn't exactly shout 'We care' though, does it, and I think a lot of (ignorant and badly trained, etc) parents would like to see supervision around scissors and not some sort of lipservice to the 'ridiculous' idea that safety is important.

hmm
hmm

I have to say, reading that forum a bit was disheartening in the extreme, and not just because of the poor grammar/spelling, etc. There are some very arrogant nursery workers out there.

bubalou Sat 12-Oct-13 08:16:30

I worked at a nursery for a year
and not only is the pay minimum wage and they make you work parents evenings, school fairs & team meetings etc with no pay it is hard work. That's all fine but then most of the time you are understaffed because of the ridiculous staff to children ratios that are set out.

At the time in my room it was 4 children aged 2 per staff member. Sounds manageable - except they are all potty training. One has an accident you have to take all 4 with u and watch them whilst changing & cleaning the dirty 1. Also - staff have to have lunch breaks and toilet breaks - they don't give you extra staff to cover these!

We never had a hair cutting incident but there were a lot of bites or fingers trapped in doors and trust me we tried our very hardest and we adored the children we were looking after, we didn't just see it as a job.

It's horrible that this happened and I would be gutted but it is a sad fact that nurseries are all about profit and so their poor staff have to do the best they can with the little resources they have.
hmm

KaFayOLay Sat 12-Oct-13 08:19:53

I got a "you're child has lost her finger, meet us at a&e" call from nursery. I'd have been over the moon if they'd said hair instead.
It's all realative isn't it.

I'm sorry KaFay. How awful for you all sad

FanjoForTheMammaries Sat 12-Oct-13 08:29:32

Just because worse things have happened to others..and I am truly sorry for losses suffered...doesn't mean people aren't allowed to complain about more minor issues.

We had a chipped tooth incident with dd at school. That was quite upsetting. I did the same myself when I was at school, as did my DSis.

everlong Sat 12-Oct-13 08:53:53

Why were 3 year olds left unsupervised with scissors?

I find this very odd.

KaFayOLay Sat 12-Oct-13 09:29:08

fanjo It is hair, hair grows. So she sports a pixie cut for a while, big deal.
Save the complaints for something worth complaining about I say.

The flip side of that, though, KaFayOLay is that maybe if no-one complains about the minor haircutting incident that arose from insufficient supervision of children with scissors, then the next poor-supervision-with-scissors-related incident could involve more serious harm.

FanjoForTheMammaries Sat 12-Oct-13 10:30:08

Kafay..it still shouldn't have happened.

But KaFay's comments come from a horrible experience for her dd.
I hope she was OK - or as OK as she could be after what happened ?

FanjoForTheMammaries Sat 12-Oct-13 11:14:10

Yes..sympathies to KaFay..but that doesn't mean the OP can't complain either

RM0104 Sat 12-Oct-13 12:01:20

just read this.OMG I would be furious, from a safety POV. angry its totally unacceptable.

FitzgeraldProtagonist Sat 12-Oct-13 12:55:01

Pfft. It happens. DS spirited away a pair of scissors from craft table (he is 3) wandered over to computer and cut off the mouse. Now who got the bollocking there?

Not pre school that's for sure. DS got sent to the pre school head for a telling off. I got ticked off for presumably having bred a feral child and not taught scissor safety (no access to scissors what so ever at home) by pre school manager.

I said that at home he is properly supervised. and got a look like it was still my fault. The other school parents' view was that I should have been horribly embarrassed.

I was embarrassed my son had damaged property with scissors. It's not on. I was not particularly cross with the school. They can't watch everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now