ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Call from nursery : your daughter's hair has been cut off

(214 Posts)
emoo777 Tue 08-Oct-13 15:35:51

DD is 3 1/2 and we have been growing her lovely blonde hair, so that it was easy to put into a ponytail. I have just had a call from nursery to say the children were 'playing hairdressers' and before they saw what was happening her hair had been massively cut off. It was several inches below her neck and now apparentely can't be put into a ponytail and they suggested I book a hair appointment to even it up!?? WTF?! 3 year olds with scissors and not properly supervised? I haven't seen it yet as I have to work ahead of picking up the children. I can't work though as am furious - I don't know whether to cry or shout. What do I say to them when I pick her up? Surely this shouldn't have happened?
Help!!!
xx

TheFabulousIdiot Tue 08-Oct-13 15:55:12

horrible though it is I would calm down and just accept that these things will happen (It could have been an older sibling who did it for example) and the hair will grow back. Just even it up yourself, no need to pay for a haircut.

LittleMissWise Tue 08-Oct-13 15:56:11

She would have had access to scissors that are sharp enough to cut card and paper, the ends would have been rounded, so they will be sharp enough to cut hair.

When I worked in a nursery we only let them use scissors at an art table, or supervised at the table in groups for keyworking.

GladbagsGold Tue 08-Oct-13 15:56:22

DD cut her hair in places at a similar age... I say calm down first and then discuss it. I let my DC use scissors fairly young and although they've cut hair they've never used them as weapons.

emoo777 Tue 08-Oct-13 16:00:39

Thanks for advice - I will try to stay calm. I suspect my reaction is exactly why they told me in advance. They are writing a report on how it happened so shall see what it says.
Is this Karma I wonder - I cut off another girl's plait when I was 6... blush
Will update on severity but if it will no longer go in a pony tail it must be a lot. Now that I am coming to terms with the loss of my little girl's hair my main issue is safety concerns.

Thurlow Tue 08-Oct-13 16:01:59

The hair being cut is annoying, but from what I understand it's one of those things that's bound to happen at some point (I once decided to roll bluetak into my hair to 'see what happened' and had to have my entire fringe cut off). If the other child managed to hack a bit off with safety scissors very quickly then I'd say it's worth a quick chat but it's just one of those things.

If they were unsupervised with sharp scissors, that's a very different conversation.

HenriettaPye Tue 08-Oct-13 16:02:20

I would be annoyed about her hair but I would be more annoyed about lack of supervision. Children of 3 are still so young, if they are using scissors, I would expect them to be in a small group, sitting at a table with an adult. If that was the case this sort of incident wouldn't have happened.

I would be annoyed about the hair but so relieved that it wasn't something much worse- an eye, ear etc. I would definitely be having a stern word with the teacher!

Beastofburden Tue 08-Oct-13 16:04:06

The report will tell you what happened. Ask to see an example of the sort of scissors.

I would focus on the safety. Hair grows back, and it is not as if the staff meant this to happen. So if someone just got incredibly ingenious with safe scissors and a moment of unsupervised glee, then you will have to suck it up. If they are sharp scissors and the kids were left unsupervised, then I would say you are worried about injury next time.

SoupDragon Tue 08-Oct-13 16:05:29

This is very common.

DD gave herself a mullet at the same age and one of her friends cut all her own fringe off. Both with "safety" scissors.

PeterParkerSays Tue 08-Oct-13 16:07:02

At least the nursery now know not to allow children to play "hairdressers" under any circumstances

ErrolTheDragon Tue 08-Oct-13 16:07:35

Oh dear. My DD cut her fringe off when she was small ... it was one of my proudest parenting moments that I didn't go ballistic but calmly asked where her fringe was, as the hair had totally disappeared. It turned up several years later tucked inside a book.

The thing that is perhaps interesting is that while kids cutting hair off is quite commonplace, I've never heard of kids actually hurting each other when playing doctors. Which implies a modicum of sense!

thelittlemothersucker Tue 08-Oct-13 16:09:54

Take photos. If you want to make a formal complaint, they'll be useful evidence.

OrchidLass Tue 08-Oct-13 16:14:30

Lack of supervision is the issue here really not the hair. At my nursery the hairdressing kit has toy plastic scissors and if the children ARE using real children's scissors they should be sitting down and very closely supervised. I was sitting with a child about a year ago while she was snipping happily away with a piece of paper, someone called my name and I looked up. She cut a lovely big chunk of hair out from the back of my head.

valiumredhead Tue 08-Oct-13 16:17:04

Even with supervision these things happen.

pixiepotter Tue 08-Oct-13 16:18:46

Oh for goodness sake doesn't every girl either cut their or own, or one of their classmates/siblings cuts their hair at some point in their childhood.

Madamecastafiore Tue 08-Oct-13 16:21:29

Its really hard to harm yourself/anyone else with the type of scissors that kids use but to use them to cut hair is very easy.

I think you could be a bit cross and ask them to pay for DDs haircut (a one length bob looks better on little girls anyway than the meh ponytail that every other young girl has) but anything more than that I think is a bit of an over reaction.

fluffyraggies Tue 08-Oct-13 16:21:49

At 3 i would expect children with scissors to be sat down in a small group of 5 or 6 at a time with an adult sat with them until the activity is over. Next group sits down ... etc.

NOT giving them out and then having the children wander about with the scissors at all. If it was one of my groups i would have a you can leave the table if you want/need to - but the scissors stay here with me.

Some thoughts for when you ask them their 'scissor time policy, OP'

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 08-Oct-13 16:25:57

This happened to me when I was 5! <eyes OP and Sleeplessbunny suspiciously.>

TiggyD Tue 08-Oct-13 17:00:11

Ofsted want continuous provision. Access to art equipment, such as scissors, all day. If a child is busy cutting paper at the art area you can't stay with them because that means the other 7-12 pre-school children are not getting your attention. When you're away it only takes second for the child to lose big clumps of hair.
This came up in a meeting I was at about meeting the needs of the EYFS. The workers who attended wanted to hide scissors until a staff member was with the children. The expert said the children needed scissors at all times and that parents don't mind if their children lose hair because it's "one of those things". Everybody thought the expert was from a different planet.
In most nurseries children have access to scissors but the staff are very nervous about them and monitor them closely, but can't do it every second.

time4anamechange Tue 08-Oct-13 17:13:45

Was just about to write what tiggyD said

DorisShuttAgainstGhosts Tue 08-Oct-13 17:14:46

Friend's DD lost a chunk of her hair from her pony tail too. Think a square largish table with 4-5 kids sitting round. Nursery worker was round the other side, saw the other child raise the scissors, turn, grab pony tail and cut, but couldn't get there in time.

I would be a bit more concerned about the "playing hairdressers" with real scissors though and be asking about that.

crazykat Tue 08-Oct-13 17:32:53

My 4yo DS1 cut a chunk off 5yo DD1's hair at the front a few months ago. He then cut a chunk off the other side to make it the same. They'd only been out of site five minutes while I made DS2's bottle. Fortunately it looked like a long fringe and was pretty even so didn't need to have 6 inches of her hair cut off. even SIL who's a hairdresser said he did a good job.

emoo777 Tue 08-Oct-13 18:37:32

OK now I have seen it and its bad, really really bad. It has gone from should length to no longer than an inch in length in any place and 1cm in many places - she just looks like a boy really, but with very uneven hair. I am struggling to imagine this being a few seconds work. It looks like several minutes. The scissors were metal child ones (i.e. just smaller versions of adult ones and very sharp). They have offered us a meeting with the owner and I think we will take it but am not sure how this is going to help - the damage is done really. My concern is now how could this happen to such an extent if they were being closely supervised.

LIZS Tue 08-Oct-13 18:43:02

was it back in a pony tail when chopped ? If so it wouldn't take as long to snip off as if it were loose

Branleuse Tue 08-Oct-13 18:43:15

I think its a rite of passage. They all do it. Its horrid. My dd did it, my neice did it,

It looks shit while it grows back, but If theyre doing crafts, there will be scissors they have access to.

Wow. That is SHORT. that's a lot of unsupervised time with scissors. I'd demand a meeting before she goes back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now