Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

aibu to think if youre blw then clean up after yourself!

(107 Posts)
judgejudithjudy Tue 08-Oct-13 09:48:23

so fed up of eating out watching people doing blw & leaving a huge mess all over the floor without any attempt to clean it up!

nappyaddict Mon 14-Oct-13 14:21:46

I don't mind people stacking plates but sometimes they do it in a really illogical way. Think knife and fork precariously balanced on top of a bowl which is stacked on top of a plate. I then have to remove cutlery and bowl, so I can stack more plates on top of the first plate. What's really annoying is when I go over to a table and start stacking the plates, I am removing the little sauce pots that go out with the meal because you can't stack the plates with them still on and then people on the table start trying to help and put more sauce pots on the plates or you pick the stack up and then they plop some cutlery on top of bowl that will fall off as soon as you start walking.

I don't expect people to pick up every bit of food their DC has dropped but I think they should pick the big things up with a napkin and put them on one of the dirty plates (a whole corn on the cob, a whole chicken leg, a piece of garlic bread, a bread roll, a burger etc)

WutheringTights Sat 12-Oct-13 23:02:28

So which cafes hate the most? Blw-ers who mostly clean up their (moderate) mess but pay for a full meal for each adult and leave a good tip? Or people who nurse one coffee for two hours whilst taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi?

poppingin1 Sat 12-Oct-13 14:52:42

I always have, especially as it could cause an accident if someone slipped on the food.

WalkingDeadFan Sat 12-Oct-13 14:28:31

OrchidLass

Baby led weaning is where baby is in control of everything that goes in it's mouth from day one of weaning. They feed themselves everything.

As in 'Baby Leads the weaning process' -not the parent. the parent never puts anything in the baby's mouth. Ever.

OrchidLass Fri 11-Oct-13 03:20:56

Isn't baby led weaning just finger foods? Bit of a wanky term for it but yes, people should at least make a bit of an effort its just good manners.

LimitedEditionLady Fri 11-Oct-13 00:27:57

I dont know if i follow correct etiquette for BLW ( which i was thinking so whats blew at for a while back there thinking oooh im behind the times)i just put the big bits on a plate and wipe around with a wipe.The floor is always crumby but i kinda dont have a mini dustpan so dont think theres much i can do....

2tiredtocare Tue 08-Oct-13 21:47:22

Fair enough

SaggyIsHavingAPinkKitten Tue 08-Oct-13 21:15:25

Then you arent my problem. The average mother and baby isnt my problem. The ones who do 'BLW' and just dont seem to care are the problem.
My restaurant wasnt particularly jammed in, but it was very busy. They actively encouraged children and have a very good reputation. But sadly some people give parents a bad name!
Yes, you might be paying, yes babies do baby stuff, but that doesnt entitle you to leave the place looking like a herd of wildebeest have been through and think that a tip makes it all ok.

2tiredtocare Tue 08-Oct-13 21:06:11

Well those parents do sound like shits but I take my 3 children out for meals to get them used to behaving in public and spend all my time and attention on making sure they are quietly entertained so as not to ruin anyone else's experience that I may not notice if they baby drops something but will always check afterwards, a quick bend down not a full on obstructive lie down, the restaurant you work in sounds like it doesn't have much space?

sparklekitty Tue 08-Oct-13 21:04:44

I agree, we're doing blw but make sure we clean up as much as possible (sometimes there are a few crumbs I can't get with wipes).

I have been know to ask for a dustpan and brush, I was met with an odd fave though.

AllDirections Tue 08-Oct-13 21:01:26

Someone came round for lunch at my house and her BLW baby left at least an adult plate's worth of half-masticated food on the floor.

That is just disgusting! shock

When my DC were babies/toddlers I always ensured that I gave them 'clean' food when we were out, so plain pasta with salad rather then spaghetti bolognaise, ham sandwiches rather than jam sandwiches, etc. and only small amounts at a time so it was easier to control the mess. And I ALWAYS cleaned up after them.

SaggyIsHavingAPinkKitten Tue 08-Oct-13 20:58:04

im not talking a bit of stuff dropped. Yes we all drop stuff and babies are babies. Im talking a whole meal on the floor, pasta sauce all over the table and chair, and handprints up the nearest wall. im sure your baby isnt a pig. But sadly some parents are. I've been a waitress for years and Ive seen it all.
There are parents out there who are entitled. They think their precious little darling can do no wrong. They think as they are paying they can do whatever they want. Their kids cause chaos while they sit and chat, completely ignoring them.
I dont think it is unreasonable to make sure your child doesn't make an awful mess in the first place, attempting to clean up after is nice but it doesnt help. If a staff member were to slip on said food, youd be the first to complain about a face full of hot soup. If you are on all fours clearing up and are in the way, then you are disrupting other diners meals.

BrokenSunglasses Tue 08-Oct-13 20:47:40

People generally only feel the need to stack plates when their waiter or waitress is taking too long to clear the table.

I only ever do it when I've waited an acceptable amount of time after the last person has finished eating, so if I've ever annoyed anyone by doing it, it's only because the staff have annoyed me by taking so long.

I realise that's not always the fault of the waiting staff, but a paying customer has more right not to be annoyed than the people paid to be there have.

2tiredtocare Tue 08-Oct-13 20:41:27

And plus if i've been out for a meal I always leave a ten percent tip because thats what I do nothing to do with being ashamed of my pig like baby

2tiredtocare Tue 08-Oct-13 20:39:29

You said 'if you let your child chuck food everywhere' you and the other staff would tell you not to clean up but be judging you. Babies and toddlers drop things, and shock horror ive seen adults do it too

SaggyIsHavingAPinkKitten Tue 08-Oct-13 20:35:22

Actually, I said it was entitled to think you can go into a restaurant, make a pig awful mess and think you can say sorry and leave a couple of quid tip and thats all right!

2tiredtocare Tue 08-Oct-13 19:58:01

But according to Saggy its entitled for your baby to make a mess in the first place and you shouldnt waste their time getting in the way trying to pick things up, bollocks it takes a minute tops

jeansthatfit Tue 08-Oct-13 19:12:59

I clear up after my dcs. Swipe mess off table, pick up big bits, ask staff for a dustpan and brush to give floor a quick sweep.

Yes, they are grateful, it does save them a bit of time by giving them less to do - sometimes you get to hear what they think of the parents who don't clear up....

It just looks entitled if you make no effort. And it sets a crap example to slightly older children who can be encouraged to tidy up a bit. I don't think it has anything to do with BLW, just how you behave in a shared social space.

2tiredtocare Tue 08-Oct-13 18:38:09

Yuck

MrsKoala Tue 08-Oct-13 16:55:17

holy crap - no whicker around children - ds chews bits off his whicker laundry basket confused

Why would a restaurant have those? surely they a hot bed of germs in general?

Scrounger Tue 08-Oct-13 16:52:50

Its a wicker one, great for trapping food in, I never let my DC sit on the ones at home to eat.

MrsKoala Tue 08-Oct-13 16:48:46

Digressing slightly (but now i'm thinking about unreasonable restaurant/cafe behaviour baby groups). What never ceases to amaze me is the amount of baby groups i have seen who will start rearranging all the tables and furniture then sit down and hardly buy anything. I have seen groups of 8 people buy 3 coffees, produce own cakes and snacks etc and take ages. WTF is that all about?!

And what's a lloyd loom chair?

Scrounger Tue 08-Oct-13 16:41:22

Saggy, god no Lloyd Loom chairs must be a nightmare to clean. There is a big difference between having half a floor that needs cleaning and one table. The turnover on the one table shouldn't be affected that much but I can see how having a large number of tables out of action would be. That is really unfair of them.

Pinebarrens Tue 08-Oct-13 16:37:00

I always pick up after the kids. very inconsiderate to expect someone else to do it. They're my kids and it's their mess!

when Ds was about 8mo and blw we were at the local sea life centre and had lunch there. I asked them for a brush to clean up as he'd made a real mess. The staff were utterly astounded that I had offered to clean up. I was utterly astounded that it wasn't the norm.

MrsKoala Tue 08-Oct-13 16:32:10

*As for tables not being filled constantly, that is what a restaurant does. Its a business, there to make money. Having to close half the floor because the local mother and toddler group left it looking like the Somme and it took half an hour to clean up, costs money and effects other diners. Apart from having to look at the BLW detritus, the staff who are cleaning are neglecting their other customers.
you may have enjoyed your meal, but should your behaviour affect other diners experience? Or is it ok if you leave a big tip?*

Yes it's a business, but part of that business is cleaning. Your profit should be able to absorb the time it takes to clean. You have earned money from the customer and part of that money should be able to cover that. If you need a constantly full restaurant then your business isn't working. The tip is for the waitstaff who may have had to do a bit more than the usual 10% worth - especially if they wont allow you to clean up yourself. If the restaurant doesn't want custom of this demographic then there are plenty of others who will. I am not talking about trashing the place and as i said i don't do BLW (ds gets a jar if we go out shock ). But sometimes ds will be messy with a bread roll and i don't think it is unreasonable to expect - if you pay extra for the cleaning - this to be okay and not to be 'judged'. As for other diners, it depends on the behaviour of the child in each case. But i have had my meal ruined by a lot of adult diners and that, sadly, is part of life. Some people are twats and sometimes those twats become parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now