wibu to call Dh common for sitting on the front door step. in the sun

(107 Posts)
waikikamookau Mon 07-Oct-13 15:05:21

tis a council house thing, imo. I wouldn't do it, <<didn't grow up on council estate, but DH did>>

waikikamookau Mon 07-Oct-13 15:16:28

some of you lot are ridiculous, and have a sense of humour failure,
my DH luckily for me, does have a sense of humour,

waikikamookau Mon 07-Oct-13 15:17:39

me and the estate agent know what is right alwaysright grin

Trills Mon 07-Oct-13 15:18:17

It's nice that you share a sense of humour, but you should realise that often when people don't think you're funny, it's not because they don't have a sense of humour, it's because you weren't funny.

Maybe it was funnier out loud? <being charitable> smile

HoneyDragon Mon 07-Oct-13 15:19:07

Well aren't you lucky.

What is funny about council houses? I'd love to get the joke.

waikikamookau Mon 07-Oct-13 15:22:12

I wouldn't mind a council house honey, I have HA house,

makingdoo Mon 07-Oct-13 15:22:28

I wouldn't where we live now because it's nicer to sit at the back door step.

I would and always have done at my parents house. All our neighbours did/do. But then we lived on a council estate.

YABVU and a bit of a dick tbh

Lj8893 Mon 07-Oct-13 15:22:36

Yeah, I do have a sense of humour (quite a good one actually grin) but perhaps I just don't get the joke this time?!

Can you explain it please?

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Mon 07-Oct-13 15:23:15

I used to live next door to a family who liked to sit in the middle of the lane. They took deck chairs out and refreshments. Every so often a car would come along, so they'd all get up, move on to the verge (no pavement), then take everything back when it had gone.

And yes, they did have both front and back gardens.

usualsuspect Mon 07-Oct-13 15:26:11

I sit on the old mattress in my council house front garden.

pointythings Mon 07-Oct-13 15:30:15

I wouldn't, but that's because 1) we have no doorstep, and 2) we have one of those portico thingies that means the sun doesn't reach. I'm very envy of your DH...

TheBigJessie Mon 07-Oct-13 15:30:37

usual I hope you've rigged a roof of bin-bags over it to keep it dry!

waikikamookau Mon 07-Oct-13 15:31:36

come and visit pointy, if you want grin - my dh might budge up and make room for you, while I sit in the shadey back garden angst ridden

uptheanty Mon 07-Oct-13 15:31:48

It is a "British" thing I'd say....in all other European countries that I'm aware, everyone uses their front garden. It is bizarre to others that you wouldn't...it's your land. Why keep a perfectly front yard unusable? If the sun is there I would say enjoy...perhaps even line up your garden furniture to face outwards and drink expresso. Ridiculously overpriced of course grin

K8Middleton Mon 07-Oct-13 15:32:29

Oh Christ is he also <whispers> foreign?

Paul Dacre's probably on his way Right Now!

MrsDavidBowie Mon 07-Oct-13 15:34:19

Was he wearing a sleeveless tshirt?
In that case, he was.

Bowlersarm Mon 07-Oct-13 15:34:27

Did he have a shirt on........ Do you have a front wall he could sit on OP? Much more acceptable.

Edithmark Mon 07-Oct-13 15:35:24

I often sit on my front door steps, it gets the late afternoon sun and I can watch the DCs out on their bikes. Sometimes I peel the potatoes for tea out there too, as I remember doing with my nan when I was little...with a washing up bowl of water and a blunt peeler(for me) and a sharp knife for her. Now my neighbours stop and chat and it's nice. BTW I live in very naice area and most of the people in my road are 'professional' types. What's common about it?

Dahlen Mon 07-Oct-13 15:35:26

I put an old sofa outside my house once. It was much more comfy than sitting on the step. wink

What exactly is wrong about sitting on the step? I think it's quite nice actually - you can say hello to people as you walk down the street and build up good neighbourly relationships.

CoolStoryBro Mon 07-Oct-13 15:36:33

I think this may be one of those, "You had to be there jokes"' OP! grin

I like sitting in front of my house so much, we're having a huge, covered porch/deck being built. It will have whicker furniture, a hanging swing, pots of flowers and EVERYTHING.

waikikamookau Mon 07-Oct-13 15:36:54

an old work colleague went out to Australia and sun bathed on the front lawn and her mum I think, told her off, It was such a big deal that she told me about it when I worked with her.
so I am definitely not alone.

you are all just annoyed because I used the word common,
and mentioned council house,
dammit.

Viviennemary Mon 07-Oct-13 15:42:11

Well I expect it would be OK if you live in a listed building and drank out of bone china antique teacups. grin

Lj8893 Mon 07-Oct-13 15:43:56

Well, can you not see why its a bit rude to say "sitting on your front doorstep is common and a council house thing"?!

Surely it would have to be a string vest.

I think people are being a bit unfair.

I wouldn't sit on my front door step as it never gets the sun. I used to when I lived in a terrace.

mistlethrush Mon 07-Oct-13 15:48:11

I used to do this in our previous house as it was the best place for summer afternoon sunshine. I don't in our new house as the garden is longer so I can still sit in the sun in the afternoon. It wasn't a Council house btw.

TiggyD Mon 07-Oct-13 15:49:38

I'm certainly not going to post on a thread started by somebody who's married somebody from a council estate, and acts like it! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now