Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

wibu to call Dh common for sitting on the front door step. in the sun

(107 Posts)
waikikamookau Mon 07-Oct-13 15:05:21

tis a council house thing, imo. I wouldn't do it, <<didn't grow up on council estate, but DH did>>

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 07-Oct-13 15:06:18

hmm
I have no words.

Trills Mon 07-Oct-13 15:06:54

"A council house thing"? hmm

Pray tell, what exactly do you think will happen if he sits on the front doorstep?

GoldenGytha Mon 07-Oct-13 15:07:29

hmm

Me neither LadyBeagle

What???? Mad.

BackforGood Mon 07-Oct-13 15:08:01

Yup
YWBVU

Give him a bucket of soapy water and a stiff bristle brush and he can scrub it for you.

Was he topless? With a can of Special Brew?

livinginwonderland Mon 07-Oct-13 15:09:11

hmm biscuit

StitchingMoss Mon 07-Oct-13 15:09:30

???? I once lived in a lovely terrace in a very naice town, we always sat on the doorstep in the sun. It was wonderful and meant we got to chat to all the neighbours smile.

waikikamookau Mon 07-Oct-13 15:09:47

well <<shrugs>>

he didn't care.

aside from the council house remark <<why take offence>>

would you sit in your front garden, at the front door, in the sun

KirjavaTheCorpse Mon 07-Oct-13 15:09:55

Yabu. It would only be a council house thing if he was drinking a can of Stella, obviously.

WaitMonkey Mon 07-Oct-13 15:10:00

biscuit

TheBigJessie Mon 07-Oct-13 15:10:47

Yes. You were.

Mind you, I think it's also very "common" to misuse common that way...

shaggybark.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/our-mutual-friend.html

squoosh Mon 07-Oct-13 15:10:55

Occupy yourself with heating water for the copper bath.

Trills Mon 07-Oct-13 15:11:23

I wouldn't sit at the front of my house because I would worry that people would speak to me.

If I was happy to exchange friendly chat with the neighbours then I would do it.

Trills Mon 07-Oct-13 15:12:18

Why take offence? Er, because calling someone "common" is offensive?

He might get piles, have you some preparation H in just in case?

nethunsreject Mon 07-Oct-13 15:12:55

We all sit out on my 'residential development'. I went to private school and have a professional job AND read broadsheets. I listen to Radio 4. I go to the theatre. Therefore, it is NOT common! wink
Seriously??!!

I sit outside my house at the front when its sunny and it has gone from the back round to the front. sometimes I take wine! shock I am clearly so common.

KirjavaTheCorpse Mon 07-Oct-13 15:13:29

Though to be fair people along my road do this, it's an 1800's terrace and no front gardens.

It is a bit weird walking past with their faces inches from my arse.

They own their houses btw.

cakeandcava Mon 07-Oct-13 15:13:33

DH and I often sit in the sun on the front door step of our owned non-council house, which is in a reasonably naice part of town even... hmm

usuallyright Mon 07-Oct-13 15:14:13

we wee told by our estate agent that the reason our house wasn't selling as fast as we hoped was because some of the neighbours opposite (who did indeed live in housing association owned new builds) sat on their front doorsteps drinking (it was only coffee/tea)
Funnily enough, the people who did buy our house, bought it on a very wet day when the neighbors couldn't sit out.
I predict 99.8% of mumsnetters will say you're being ridiculous, but my estate agent would've agreed with you!

Lj8893 Mon 07-Oct-13 15:14:23

I have lived in council house areas and nice private housing areas. All sorts of people sit on their doorsteps in the sun.

YABU. And not very nice.

nomorecrumbs Mon 07-Oct-13 15:14:49

My Dad lives on a council estate and he never sits on the front door step. The horror shock

He sits on a bench in his front garden instead. Much more comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now