To be a bit suspicious of all the wide eyed 'why do muslims' and 'is this racist' threads?

(435 Posts)
MrsDeVere Mon 07-Oct-13 12:55:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

EldritchCleavage Mon 07-Oct-13 13:12:21

Yes. Trolls don't proselytise.

nicename Mon 07-Oct-13 13:12:25

'Why do you think journalists would post threads like this? ' They are not 'proper' journos.

They are lazy hacks or 'oooh I have a blog, therefore I'm a journalist' types who are desperate to find an angle to 'funny forriners and the headscarved type story.

The sad thing is that an extreme opinion (from any angle) is often the 'unsaid thought'. I've read some doozies on here in the goodness-knows how many years I've been on here (about 7 or 8 now). Do we air them and give them the oxygen of ridicule or discussion?

YouTheCat Mon 07-Oct-13 13:12:26

They are vile. Just vile.

Inciting racial hatred.

gordyslovesheep Mon 07-Oct-13 13:13:10

Yes Mrs dv you don't get music of WHITE origin either ...its outrageous

I suspect the edl loving stuff may have started the current wave

nicename Mon 07-Oct-13 13:15:15

oops missed a bit (fat fingers) 'funny forriners and the headscarved-peril'. I love a 'peril' angle.

EldritchCleavage Mon 07-Oct-13 13:15:55

The Headscarved Peril sounds like a rather cool superhero.

YouTheCat Mon 07-Oct-13 13:16:24

We are all at peril of 'Sharon' law and being forced to worship Aslan I tell you! grin

YouTheCat
grin

MrsDeVere
Whilst they are possibly trying to spread a message they also give people the opportunity to answer that message. The poster on the Halal meat thread who refused to believe that most Halal meat slaughtered in the UK is pre-stunned exposed their agenda very clearly given that the report containing the relevant figures was produced by the RSPCA. However, at least the the facts were put on the thread so people who didn't know much about the issue could see the debate and decide for themselves.

MrsDeVere Mon 07-Oct-13 13:16:43

The mum of a black child who was wondering what all the fuss was about re the EDL?

Yeah, whatever.

gordyslovesheep Mon 07-Oct-13 13:17:11

They will make us all practice sharia law you know ...the forrin, creeping veil peril

YouTheCat Mon 07-Oct-13 13:18:03

That was just bizarre, that one. But at least these threads show up who the racists are.

nennypops Mon 07-Oct-13 13:18:28

Yup, I've definitely noticed it. My feeling is that it's EDL idiots or similar hoping to spread the agenda that being racist is somehow normal and acceptable.

Given how many posters are lapsing into txtspk recently, I wonder if there's an influx of Huns. Have they had the banhammer out recently?

noddyholder Mon 07-Oct-13 13:18:49

agree

FreakinRexManningDay Mon 07-Oct-13 13:19:09

MrsDV its muslim week. Next comes breastfeeding,then a dalliance into a lavish lifestyle on benefits,a bit of parent and child parking,the annual poppy thread and then the Christmas palavar.

MrsDeVere Mon 07-Oct-13 13:20:01

It makes it very difficult to have an actual discussion about issues around race and religion.

Its almost impossible for a black or Asian MNer to report a racist comment or attack.

They are almost always dismissed as being over sensitive.

tethersend Mon 07-Oct-13 13:20:10

I love it when someone comes along and claims that because their black friend is fine with it and thinks its a laugh, they speak for ALL black people EVERYWHERE and therefore the golliwog/B&W Minstrel show/burning cross is definitively not racist, as black people all have only one opinion and anyone who disagrees is a hand-wringing white liberal lefty PO trying to speak on black people's behalf which is actually RACIST.

YouTheCat Mon 07-Oct-13 13:20:24

Of course, Poppy thread time! grin

EldritchCleavage Mon 07-Oct-13 13:21:18

Got it in one, tethers.

nicename Mon 07-Oct-13 13:21:22

I like Aslan. Come on, a cool lion? How many others gods can actually tear the baddies limb from limb and eat them?

The original Headscarved Peril (they eat their young you know...)
acorntoyshop.com/product/matrushka-doll/571/dolls/105/947/

YouTheCat Mon 07-Oct-13 13:21:25

I have reported a load of racist posts recently. Some upheld and some not.

DameFellatioNelson Mon 07-Oct-13 13:21:36

I agree - sometimes they are genuine and raise valid questions, but you can usually tell a thinly veiled dig a mile off. It's something in the tone of that faux concern/bewilderment.

thegreylady Mon 07-Oct-13 13:22:31

Hear Hear Mrs DV.I have just looked at one such thread and the barely veiled racism is shocking.I hate the references to 'Muslims' as if all were the same in their attitudes and practices.You wouldn't get away with 'Christians' or 'Jews' in the same way.

gordyslovesheep Mon 07-Oct-13 13:23:03

Oh good Lord yes the time of Winterval and 'them nylons banned Christmas' is almost upon us

gordyslovesheep Mon 07-Oct-13 13:23:44

My phone is racist it turned Muslims into nylons!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now