To be a bit suspicious of all the wide eyed 'why do muslims' and 'is this racist' threads?

(435 Posts)
MrsDeVere Mon 07-Oct-13 12:55:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

nicename Thu 10-Oct-13 14:17:07

Which one (you can tell me...)?

Oh you'd be surprised... I was once threatened with a 'battering' because I made a joke about a prom dress. It amused me anyway because I'm from Glasgow and as hard as jelly nails..

LittlePeaPod Thu 10-Oct-13 14:32:42

Noooooo grin #DawnDonna

annoyednow Thu 10-Oct-13 15:09:18

* You the Cat * "But if you're trying to make sweeping generalisations about one religion/race (which is usually the case) and those generalisations are (usually) misinformed then I'd call a racist a racist and a bigot a bigot. "

Ok, I'm a little confused re the above. Are you referring to my statements? Not having referred to any particular religion or anybody recent origins on the planet (as we all have same origins from Africa), that would really encapsulate what I'm trying to say. Do I get called a bigot and racist for simply believing all religions (ideas and practices) are equally fair game for opponents to comment on as much as the proponents. Both sides having a duty not to carelessly incite or hurt people. If the "you're" part is not referring to me, disregard this paragraph.

I forget the original post (and I haven't seen threads referred to), but if people are being disingenuous by using genuine issues with religion (any and every religion) as a vehicle to have a dig re the origins of it's adherents, that is weaselly.

Conversely, if people are being disingenuous and try to link and taint perfectly valid and reasonable comments about religion (any and every religion) by automatically calling the opponent bigoted or racist, then that is similarly weaselly. All religions (philosophies and practices) are equally fair game for reasonable comment.

I think it comes down to the individual. People can 'see' or 'not see'. They can similarly care or not care. It's not just education or culture. Some people can be decent in some ways, but not in others. Gosh, I feel old and weary. Where has idealism gone?

YouTheCat Thu 10-Oct-13 15:11:37

Annoyed, my 'you're' was a general 'you're' - not pointing at Annoyed and proclaiming anything nasty.

annoyednow Thu 10-Oct-13 15:31:45

Ok, YouTheCat, one less thing to be annoyed about in life.

YouTheCat Thu 10-Oct-13 15:59:54

Good grin

TheBigJessie Thu 10-Oct-13 17:36:05

Apropos of, erm, nothing much, my children really like Superted DVDs. My husband and I found that one or two episodes contained rather racist assumptions though.

YouTheCat Thu 10-Oct-13 17:37:21

I never much cared for SuperTed. Now I know why.

EduCated Thu 10-Oct-13 17:48:20

Yes. Just yes to everything on this thread including the bizarrely deleted OP

I did post on the one thread. Left it after it turned into a 'haha all you MC, middle aged white people getting your knickers in a twist'. Cos they've got me there except the middle aged

nicename Thu 10-Oct-13 17:56:58

I don't wear knickers.

(Actually I do but it sounded funnier that 'I really hate flouncy generalisations').

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now