To not know how to get DD to sleep?!

(29 Posts)
HopLittleFroggiesHopSkipJump Sun 06-Oct-13 20:18:41

I'm out of ideas. How do you all manage?!

She's 12 m/o and usually breastfeeds to sleep (albeit for about 30 minutes minimum.. But it works at least).
Tonight, 45 minutes in, she doesn't want to feed, or cuddle, or be in the bedroom (co-sleeps) or read books, or do anything remotely calm. She wants to climb, charge about, and wave her toy dog at me shrieking and giggling like she's got a megaphone.
Help!!

ringaringarosy Sun 06-Oct-13 23:19:54

Yes mine grew out of it,once they started pre school and definitely school they just naturally were ready for bed at a decent time,there was a tricky time between 1 and about 2 and a half where they didnt really want to sleep in the day,but obviously needed to,so would fall asleep quite late and stay up til late,but it just depends on how much these things bother you you really.

With the whole cc thing,one argument i hear for a it a lot is they dont remember it,but i dont really see why that matters,theres lots of awful things i could do to him that he wouldnt remember in a few years!

Loopylala7 Mon 07-Oct-13 00:15:48

Does she have her own room she could move into? I noticed DC started sleeping far better when they weren't being disturbed by us going to bed, also a few friends said the same thing. I too find lullabies a useful tool as DC seems to concentrate on the music rather than getting wound up. The other thing we do is what the French refer to as the pause. We give DC the opportunity to settle themselves. If DC cries, we give them say 5 minutes, if they cannot settle, or sound distressed at the end of this time we intervene, 9 times out of 10 it works. Good luck.

Loopylala7 Mon 07-Oct-13 00:22:25

Btw it is hard moving your baby into another room, I cried! BUT this guilt doesn't last very long, especially when they sleep so much better.

QueenArseClangers Mon 07-Oct-13 08:59:49

Have you read The No Cry Sleep Solution?
Geared towards co-sleeping parents it's great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now