To be FUMING that FiL has used racist language around ds.

(208 Posts)

Ds is 4.4 and has been to see my PiL this afternoon (without me). Dh took him. PIL are in their 70s and are quite ignorant in a lot of ways IMO.

Dh told me that today ds was playing shops with FIL. Apparently ds said to FIL "that will be ten pounds please." To which FIL replied "that's expensive, that's more than the p**is charge."

Dh told FIL not to say that again and ds hasn't repeated it (yet) but I am fuming! Fuming! As well as it being totally disgusting and offensive language I do not want ds repeating it unwittingly at school and being branded a racist. Or them thinking it's something we have said. I am genuinely quite horrified. Am I overreacting to this? Should I say something to FIL next time I see him too? Apparently he wasn't very apologetic and actually didn't seem to think he'd said anything wrong. I suppose partly it's generational but seriously, has this every been acceptable as a phrase? I think not.

Of course, anyone can say whatever the fuck they like. Anytime they want. I don't want to 'police' people, or censor them. But if they are offensive and racist then they should be told that that is what they are.

tethersend Mon 07-Oct-13 20:11:20

An individual can't change the meaning of a word- what a word signifies is 'agreed' by a group of people/society. Consensus is reached as to its meaning- (mostly) everyone understands what the word means, thus language still functions and communication is achieved.

An individual refusing to recognise commonly received meanings of words is ineffectual. It's like me saying the the words massive, racist' with, a, made-up and husband actually mean that I value and respect everybody's opinion on the topic of this thread, as that is my intention.

Which of course would be absurd.

ems1910 Mon 07-Oct-13 20:00:28

I regularly hear the word dyke from my mil and sil. I hate it. OH couldn't understand why until I explained, he genuinely didn't know why it was so offensive. Now he will pick them up on it should they ever say it in front of our children.

I wouldn't feel the need to say anything now if your H has but I would if he kept repeating it. My mum still says coloured, it's force of habit and I correct her everytime!

nomorecrumbs Mon 07-Oct-13 19:47:53

allfor I get your point, I don't think you're racist, but I do think you're sounding a tad naive.

Of course it's not racist to use the term 'black' or whatever to describe someone in ordinary conversation. You're right that 'Paki' should be a neutral adjective. But because certain ethnic groups have been discriminated against through use of racist language which includes these adjectives, we have to be extra-careful how we use them now in our descriptions.

Good on you for wanting to change the connotations of those words to something more neutral, though. Maybe it'll happen over time.

crazynanna Mon 07-Oct-13 19:43:47

And using every racist term in the book on this thread by you is encouraging integration? Right.

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:42:02

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:40:27

She would of been described as a bitch no matter what, but physical descriptions are normally always placed when describing an incindent

crazynanna Mon 07-Oct-13 19:40:18

Describing someone as black is fine, but dropping that descriptive term to enforce a negativity about a person...ie being a 'bitch'...is not fine...it's racist

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:39:16

Oh and it turns out he did know her as it goes, ive seen her around and he knows her brother. that's a different story but i wont let anyone get away with upsetting my son and trying to intimidate me!

crazynanna Mon 07-Oct-13 19:38:24

But you didn't say you described her to your OH so to see if her "recognised" the girl...you said it was so he could "image her to some extent"...so the "image" of her being 'black' and 'skinny' did, to you, have some bearing on her being a 'bitch',then.

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:37:45

Yeah, i'm racist with a black husband and kids - People like you undermean the term - Disgusting

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:36:53

It's a slippery creature of the sea, with fins, and scales, and a puckery type mouth, it's got a.......IT'S A FISH!!!!!!!!!!!

nennypops Mon 07-Oct-13 19:36:16

Nonsense. Your husband had no need to see if he recognised the woman in question. You used the term "black" because you are racist, and for no other reason. If of course this incident happened at all.

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:35:59

well, noone in my family minds being called black or finds reference to the colour of their skin racist, the worlds cone mad!

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 07-Oct-13 19:30:52

Are you always so fantastically fucking dim all ?

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:30:45

i just feel sad that people with so few logical brain cells can be left to breed!

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:29:43

That was the begining rant, i spoke much about her than that, described her down to a tea so my husband could see if he recognised her. Why do you think its bad to be black, and skinny for that matter? She is skinny and black, the same as i would say some big fat bloke etc

Jinsei Mon 07-Oct-13 19:27:40

Yes fanjo, I think you're right. Going to disengage from the debate now, as allfor is clearly just out to provoke a reaction.

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 07-Oct-13 19:24:10

Yes..have reported.

crazynanna Mon 07-Oct-13 19:23:19

And as for describing said 'bitch' to your fella....why did you need to describe her physical appearance when her 'bitchiness' was clearly an attitude attribute?

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 07-Oct-13 19:22:19

She popped up saying um...odd things on a similar thread recently. Might be the "calling a black man black isn't racist is it" one.

crazynanna Mon 07-Oct-13 19:21:53

But could you not just say "some bitch...."? Does the fact that she was 'skinny' and 'black' emphasise the fact that she was a bitch? I mean..a bitch is a bitch,no?

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 07-Oct-13 19:17:34

I seriously think allforone is having a laugh and trying to fit as many racist terms and phrases in as possible.

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:16:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

allforoneandoneforall Mon 07-Oct-13 19:13:56

I didn't call her a black bitch if you read, i described her to my husband as that - different

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now