Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

My friend, the Spartan

(23 Posts)
SugarHut Sun 06-Oct-13 15:36:00

AIBU in thinking my friend has massively over reacted here....

Last night, a very good friend of mine went out on a stag do, fancy dress. The theme was film characters, he was the chap from Gladiator. I saw them all before they left, they looked excellent to be fair. One in full Batman get up, another The Joker, about 15 others, and the Gladiator was in the proper leather skirt, sandals, leather stuff up his arms and legs and a pretty cool armoured helmet thing.

I called him this morning to see how it all went, and he explained that he had gone home at about 11.30 whilst everyone else stayed out. I asked what he had done, and he said nothing, everything was fine while they were in the bars and pubs, but the following problem arose when they tried to move on to clubs:

Doorman: "Sorry mate, you can't come in, you're wearing sandals"
Mate: "Of course I'm wearing bloody sandals, I'm a Roman!!!"
Doorman: "Sorry, you genuinely can't come in with sandals"

Repeat the same scenario at two more clubs, then he got so fucked off, he went home and the others stayed out without him. Which I think it fair enough, he wasn't the stag or the best man, he just missed the last 3 hours of the night because of something silly that had crossed no one's mind. He was not drunk or left anywhere, he got in a cab at the third club they tried and went home.

So, 1) he is not speaking to the others for "ditching" him, and
2) he is not speaking to me as when he told me the unexpected conversation between him and the doormen, I burst out laughing, (sorry, but forgive me for finding it fucking hilarious) and he hung up! And now won't answer his phone, having text me to graciously inform me that I am a "prick like the rest of them." Tell me he is being totally unreasonable?

TessTackle Sun 06-Oct-13 15:37:38

Think he's got his skirt in a twist Sugar I would have laughed at him too

picnicbasketcase Sun 06-Oct-13 16:08:23

Apologise for laughing but hopefully he'll see the funny side once the indignation has worn off a bit. Arrange a night out with everyone again soon but not in fancy dress?

When DH went on his stag do his friends all bought the most hideous Hawaiian shirts possible and made DH wear one that was especially vile. DH wasn't let in to a club because he was wearing trainers and responded with 'what, but the shirt's fine confused??' not that DH gave a crap as he hates clubs

I agree with apologising and point out that at some point it will make a great story for the pub.

WMittens Sun 06-Oct-13 17:39:50

You're unreasonable for calling a Roman, a Spartan.

MammaTJ Sun 06-Oct-13 17:45:28

I laughed! Who wouldn't? grin

You do have to say sorry though!

A life long friend of DH's always used to get turned away from clubs for stupid reasons. To be honest, I think he just had a face and attitude that used to wind the bouncers up.

The one and only time he got into a particular club without any problem was when he was dressed in fancy dress - as a gorilla grin

kim147 Sun 06-Oct-13 17:47:02

If he'd have been a real Spartan, he'd have dealt with the doorman with his sword.

TheQueenOfSparta Sun 06-Oct-13 17:57:02

I'll take the blame for my ancestors grin.

MarianneEnjolras Sun 06-Oct-13 18:02:54

I read the whole thing wondering where the Spartan came into the story.

A Spartan is not a Roman.

Is history pedantry a thing?

TheQueenOfSparta Sun 06-Oct-13 18:08:27

I don't mind you mixing up Spartans and Romans.

Trills Sun 06-Oct-13 18:10:32

Poor guy, that sucks for him.

I feel sorry for him but I feel that he should have been the noble self-sacrificing person and said don't let it ruin your evening guys, you go on without me.

kim147 Sun 06-Oct-13 18:11:02

I think the Spartans would kick the Roman's ass. Have you seen "300"? Come back alive or on a shield.

They're well hard.

SugarHut Sun 06-Oct-13 18:21:52

Roman. Spartan. Leather skirted chap. Meh.

He did have a sword too...no objections to this, just the open toes smile

Famzilla Sun 06-Oct-13 18:21:52

Kanye west is responsible for making people think Spartans are Romans. That song gives me the rage.

Famzilla Sun 06-Oct-13 18:22:52

Oh and your friend is being silly, just leave him to sulk it out.

gordyslovesheep Sun 06-Oct-13 18:30:33

the character in Gladiator wasn't Roman - he was Hispania - modern day Spain

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sun 06-Oct-13 18:35:09

He's being unreasonable. He's also being a bit pathetic, unless he's one of those people who's always being refused entry for ridiculous reasons. Like a friend who was refused entry to a club because he was wearing a checked shirt. When he pointed out 2 other people with checked shirts being let in, he was told that they were bigger checks, so permissible. Same crap kept on happening.

Dobbiesmum Sun 06-Oct-13 18:47:31

He's being very U but it's natural when you're embarrassed.
I thought Spartans went everywhere naked??

3lovelykids Sun 06-Oct-13 18:49:55

So were women wearing sandals also refused entry then? blush

SugarHut Sun 06-Oct-13 19:34:26

Dobbie, no that's naturists. smile

Coupon Sun 06-Oct-13 20:38:01

YANBU. There are some daft reasons for bouncers turning people away, and that sounds like one of them.

Doorman: "What have the Spartans ever done for us?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now